The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

14 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

Dwight Yorke on SSN now. Playing the race card as to why he didn't get Villa and Sunderland job. 

Well, I mean it was possibly racism. More likely the lack of experience, the lack of managerial nouse, the fact that he is a massive bell-end, the lack of judgement (got Jordan pregnant) etc, but yeah, racism. 

Dwight - here is a message - Just because you are not qualified for the job you want, are lazy, don't have the skills to do it, have shown nothing in your managerial career to indicate you will develop the skills to do the job, or show little evidence of being anything other than an unmitigated disaster, does not mean that the guy (or guys) not giving you the job are racist. Maybe what you need to do, like most managers, is start at a lower league club, achieve something, move up to a bigger club, show that you are capable of developing as a manager, achieve more, and then you can be considered for the big jobs. players turned managers do not get the big gigs straight away (Lamps and Gerrard are exceptions)

You aren't going to get the Villa job because you think you are a Villa legend and therefore entitled to it. 

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 3

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rare to hear anybody speak highly of Houllier and this is no exception

Why Dunne doesn’t like Houllier

One of the more well-known aspects of Dunne’s career was his friction with Gérard Houllier when the French manager was at Aston Villa.

He suggested that it was simply a clash of personalities that saw the two not get along.

“It was just a difficult period at the club, and he had different ideas,” Dunne said.

“Probably it was wrong on my behalf because you have preconceived ideas of people who come in and what they are and what they may be listening to other people.

“You sort of close off and that could have been a factor.”

Houllier’s reaction to the Thierry Henry handball in 2009 did not help their relationship though.

According to Dunne, Houllier constantly brought up the incident and suggested that that was the reason Dunne didn’t like the French manager.

“It was just part of another reason to not like him I suppose for me,” Dunne said.

“It was something that he did, it was something that he brought up in discussions when we were at [Aston] Villa as a reason for me not liking him.

“It was childish stuff really.”

https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/dunne-best-forwards-houllier-1086690?fbclid=IwAR1vpXGyRGRWBb2ELK37kUOtlEgAVyt2n3sdfwW64VDVb33g0FsTi2S8_ok

On 02/10/2020 at 20:07, Xela said:

I liked Albert. Did his job for us and we moved him on when we got promoted. Always have good memories of him

As for Veretout, I'll be honest and say I always thought he looked dogshit. Good career so far though. I guess thats why I'm not a football scout! 

Loved Albert he made going back to Villa Park fun again. Championship is his level though.

Shout out to Steven Davis who is about to be Norn Iron most capped player, overtaking the legend that is Pat Jennings. Davis has been a really underrated pro for a long time.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 07:32, TheStagMan said:

Well, I mean it was possibly racism. More likely the lack of experience, the lack of managerial nouse, the fact that he is a massive bell-end, the lack of judgement (got Jordan pregnant) etc, but yeah, racism. 

Dwight - here is a message - Just because you are not qualified for the job you want, are lazy, don't have the skills to do it, have shown nothing in your managerial career to indicate you will develop the skills to do the job, or show little evidence of being anything other than an unmitigated disaster, does not mean that the guy (or guys) not giving you the job are racist. Maybe what you need to do, like most managers, is start at a lower league club, achieve something, move up to a bigger club, show that you are capable of developing as a manager, achieve more, and then you can be considered for the big jobs. players turned managers do not get the big gigs straight away (Lamps and Gerrard are exceptions)

You aren't going to get the Villa job because you think you are a Villa legend and therefore entitled to it. 

Lampard, Arteta, Solsjkaer, Giggs, Gerrard, Parker in recent years. Top tier jobs too. He probably looks at that and says "I was a Villa legend, I should be a shoo-in". Not sure if it's racism more than Villa just being more sensible in the managerial appointments and prioritizing experience. He does have a point buried somewhere in there but it's lost in all the hubris.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Lampard, Arteta, Solsjkaer, Giggs, Gerrard, Parker in recent years. Top tier jobs too. He probably looks at that and says "I was a Villa legend, I should be a shoo-in". Not sure if it's racism more than Villa just being more sensible in the managerial appointments and prioritizing experience. He does have a point buried somewhere in there but it's lost in all the hubris.

does he have a point though. all of them have worked as coached or managed lower teams before getting a top job. Yorke has done nothing at all in coaching. If he really wanted to be a manager he would have got a lower league job and he is a big name to get one undeservedly

even Sherwood had managerial and coaching experience before getting the Villa job

Edited by Zatman

Just now, Zatman said:

does he have a point though. all of them have worked as coached or managed lower teams before getting a top job. Yorke has done nothing at all in coaching. If he really wanted to be a manager he would have got a lower league job and he is a big name to get one undeservedly

Think Gerrard was a youth coach for like 4 months before getting the second biggest job in Scotland :lol:

Lampard got the Derby job without doing any coaching at all, and pretty sure it was the same for Giggs. Now he's a national team coach and getting shown up. There's precedence there. Yeah he should probably try to work his way up (like all coaches), but nobody bats an eyelid when those guys rock up in big positions with no experience.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Think Gerrard was a youth coach for like 4 months before getting the second biggest job in Scotland :lol:

Lampard got the Derby job without doing any coaching at all, and pretty sure it was the same for Giggs. Now he's a national team coach and getting shown up. There's precedence there. Yeah he should probably try to work his way up (like all coaches), but nobody bats an eyelid when those guys rock up in big positions with no experience.

Giggs was the assistant manager at United under Van Gaal, Gerrard was a coach at Liverpool for 18 months or so. I dont agree they should get big jobs straightaway but they did some training at least. I wouldnt let Yorke coach an Under 10 team not because of his skin colour because he has shown no intentions of being a manager ever unless its a big club. Why doesnt he apply for a job at Burton Albion or Walsall and earn his way up the ladder

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Giggs was the assistant manager at United under Van Gaal, Gerrard was a coach at Liverpool for 18 months or so. I dont agree they should get big jobs straightaway but they did some training at least. I wouldnt let Yorke coach an Under 10 team not because of his skin colour because he has shown no intentions of being a manager ever unless its a big club. Why doesnt he apply for a job at Burton Albion or Walsall and earn his way up the ladder

Don't see the difference really. I wouldn't have let Frank Lampard manage under 10's, but he's the manager of Chelsea now and apparently it's totally fine. Yorke has his coaching badges which seems to be the minimum requirement these days.

Off topic slightly, but it's one of the reasons I respect JT, who has a bigger name than all of them. He's been plying his trade under Dean Smith from the Championship than go headfirst into management. Shows humility.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54885688

Danny Drinkwater: Chelsea midfielder produces highlights video to kick-start career

Last updated on2 minutes ago2 minutes ago.From the sectionChelsea

Danny Drinkwater in action for Chelsea's under 23s. Danny Drinkwater has played twice for Chelsea Under-23s this season

Chelsea midfielder Danny Drinkwater has produced a showreel featuring some of his career highlights in a bid to get his faltering career back on track.

A Premier League winner with Leicester in 2016, Drinkwater has played only 29 games since joining Chelsea in 2017 - his last appearance coming during a loan spell for Aston Villa in February.

The 30-year-old, who has not been allocated a Chelsea squad number this season, revealed a desire to kick-start his career in September.

And, with the help of a production company, he has published a three-minute video showing some of his best goals and assists as he looks to remind the football world what he is capable of.

Drinkwater, who has three England caps and has also been on loan at Burnley, was an integral part of Leicester's stunning title success and joined Chelsea for £35m in September 2017.

But his lack of appearances since, coupled with some personal issues, led to him "falling out of love with football" with a 30-minute substitute appearance in the Community Shield his only first-team action in 2018-19.

This season, he has turned out twice for Chelsea's under-23s, most recently in October in a 3-1 defeat by Liverpool.

Turns out none of his contributions at VP made the reel. Who'd have thunk it

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Carles Gil is tearing it up for New England Revolution against Philadelphia Union in the MLS playoffs right now. He's assisted both New England goals as they're up 2-0 against the favourites at the half.

• Like 2

In other 'former Villa players doing surprisingly well' news, I see from an article on F365 that both Ron Vlaar (AZ Alkmaar) and Jose Angel Crespo (PAOK) are playing in sides that are unbeaten so far this season.

(article here: https://www.football365.com/news/every-european-club-still-unbeaten-rangers-gerrard-juventus)

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

In other 'former Villa players doing surprisingly well' news, I see from an article on F365 that both Ron Vlaar (AZ Alkmaar) and Jose Angel Crespo (PAOK) are playing in sides that are unbeaten so far this season.

(article here: https://www.football365.com/news/every-european-club-still-unbeaten-rangers-gerrard-juventus)

Unsurprisingly Concrete Ron has yet to play a league game this season through injury, he hasnt played since January in the league

Â