The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

15 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just read an interview with Marc Albrighton. It transpires he didn't leave Villa because he wanted more money or we couldn't afford him.

He left because that word removed Lamebert didn't offer him a contract of any type, after saying it would "all be sorted at the end of the season".

Albrighton said he would have accepted whatever contract was offered as he didn't want to leave.

Lamebert was just a massive mumbling word removed. I **** detest him.

Can't link story on my phone but it's on Birmingham Live.

Lambert was an absolute prick, he was afraid of any challenges. Albrighton probably asked the time and Lambert decided not for him. 

Absolute con artist, Bannan said it too never mind the bomb squad he created as a coward

• Like 3

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Just read an interview with Marc Albrighton. It transpires he didn't leave Villa because he wanted more money or we couldn't afford him.

He left because that word removed Lamebert didn't offer him a contract of any type, after saying it would "all be sorted at the end of the season".

Albrighton said he would have accepted whatever contract was offered as he didn't want to leave.

Lamebert was just a massive mumbling word removed. I **** detest him.

Can't link story on my phone but it's on Birmingham Live.

I just listened to it. Really nice interview comes across as very humble 

Albrighton has had such a unique existence as a footballer.

The only time in his career he's started more than 30 league games was the year Leicester won the title. How can a key part of a title winning side have played so little the rest of the time, ever?

I never thought he was great, but would adjust fairly well to the level/team. Never stuck out in a good team, but never stood out in a bad one IMO. Crossing was the only thing you could say he was "great" at. I always thought his dead ball should have been much better when he could hit a cross like that.

For us, where we were at the time, he should have been offered a deal definitely. Funny to think Leicester wouldn't have won the league if we did. In fact they probably would have gone down the year before, they only turned it round when he broke into the side at the end of 2015. Madness.

• Like 3

I have nothing but respect for Marc Albrighton. He has been a class act at Leicester, never complaining and always ready when called upon. 

• Like 4

I have to say I remember him having an ankle injury that kept him out for a while and he had a kid not long after. The combination of the two definitely affected his performances IMO.  It's easy in hindsight to say he should have had a contract but I don't think that 100% of us were in agreement at the time (like we usually are :D)

I always liked him and thought there was a player in there. I think John Robertson was great for him (as he mentions in the interview) and he looked really useful under Houillier. So yeah, Lambert is an absolute twonk and I've thought that for as long as I can remember.

• Like 2

His performances in the months before his contract came up were more than deserving of a new deal. We got into a regular pattern where he would come off the bench, look bright in a crap team, then mysteriously not play again for a game or two, then repeat. I think Lambert must have already made his mind up that he was going to move him on, which was stupid and much less than Albrighton deserved. I've nothing but time for the guy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

His performances in the months before his contract came up were more than deserving of a new deal. We got into a regular pattern where he would come off the bench, look bright in a crap team, then mysteriously not play again for a game or two, then repeat. I think Lambert must have already made his mind up that he was going to move him on, which was stupid and much less than Albrighton deserved. I've nothing but time for the guy.

He is not getting a lot of game time this season and I have wondered if he might return home to Villa to finish his career. He has made no secret of how upset he was to leave the club that he loved. At 30 yrs old he still has lots of football left in him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I also have nothing but time for the guy HV. However I seem to remember him coming off the bench more than once with lots of energy and giving away a silly last minute fouls which led to a goal for the opposition. Maybe he was trying too hard to impress at that point?  Anyway, if Lambert had sorted the situation out in a professional manner thing could have been much different.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I also have nothing but time for the guy HV. However I seem to remember him coming off the bench more than once with lots of energy and giving away a silly last minute fouls which led to a goal for the opposition. Maybe he was trying too hard to impress at that point?  Anyway, if Lambert had sorted the situation out in a professional manner thing could have been much different.

I think you may be right that that happened at least once, but as I say, my strong recollection is that the performances were regularly more energetic and creative than anyone else in the team during that run-in (during which the whole teams was absolutely dire).

• Like 1

Sat next to his box when we thrashed Sunderland, he was out "injured" he was loving it, jumping up and down with every goal, he's villa through and through 

He'd stroll in to our team right now 

Was mad that we let him go, nearly Cahill levels of bad management 

• Like 1

Lambert is an absolute cretin. More and more I believe our grestest demise fell under his stewardship. Gutless turd of a man. We were saveable following Mcleish and Houllier. 3 years of that dour word removed sucked the life out the club.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching the 1990 World Cup programme on bbc1. Oh David Platt. Oh Belgium. Oh what a goal!!!!! I was a 17 year old kid, stood in the back of the Station pub in Sutton Coldfield, pi**ed as a fart. Leaping around like a kangaroo on acid. Absolutely the highlight of my time as an England fan. No doubt 

Been watching 'tubes' from soccer am golf videos recently on YouTube. He plays four holes with a current or ex player. A couple with pro golfers too. They are quite good, certainly if you like golf.

Anyway, he did one with Liam Ridgewell, and he was absolutely scathing of Martin O'Neil. Didn't talk to him when he left. Had a big fall out with him in America. No tactics, terrible man management. Much more too which I can't remember now.

I wasn't Ridgewells biggest fan, but don't doubt that this was the case. Dinosaur.

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Been watching 'tubes' from soccer am golf videos recently on YouTube. He plays four holes with a current or ex player. A couple with pro golfers too. They are quite good, certainly if you like golf.

Anyway, he did one with Liam Ridgewell, and he was absolutely scathing of Martin O'Neil. Didn't talk to him when he left. Had a big fall out with him in America. No tactics, terrible man management. Much more too which I can't remember now.

I wasn't Ridgewells biggest fan, but don't doubt that this was the case. Dinosaur.

Watch this myself. Combined with under the cosh and a lot of long length interviews footballers have done in lockdown it would strike me that 90% of football managers are absolute self absorbed words removed.

• Like 1

Â