The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Been watching 'tubes' from soccer am golf videos recently on YouTube. He plays four holes with a current or ex player. A couple with pro golfers too. They are quite good, certainly if you like golf.

Anyway, he did one with Liam Ridgewell, and he was absolutely scathing of Martin O'Neil. Didn't talk to him when he left. Had a big fall out with him in America. No tactics, terrible man management. Much more too which I can't remember now.

I wasn't Ridgewells biggest fan, but don't doubt that this was the case. Dinosaur.

O’Neil may  have had his odd ways, but I’d happily take the results he got and 3 top 6 finishes now 

12 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Been watching 'tubes' from soccer am golf videos recently on YouTube. He plays four holes with a current or ex player. A couple with pro golfers too. They are quite good, certainly if you like golf.

Anyway, he did one with Liam Ridgewell, and he was absolutely scathing of Martin O'Neil. Didn't talk to him when he left. Had a big fall out with him in America. No tactics, terrible man management. Much more too which I can't remember now.

I wasn't Ridgewells biggest fan, but don't doubt that this was the case. Dinosaur.

Been listening to a lot of the interviews with ex-players over the break (Laursen, Bannan, Albrighton, Bouma, Hendrie, Davies, Gabby) and with MON it appears if you were in his group of 13-14 guys who played all the time you loved him, if you were on the outer obviously not so much. 

Reiterated in the recent Bouma intereview was how disliked DOL was. Struggling to recall any positive interviews mentioning him.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Watch this myself. Combined with under the cosh and a lot of long length interviews footballers have done in lockdown it would strike me that 90% of football managers are absolute self absorbed words removed.

Link?

On 16/06/2020 at 12:35, rodders0223 said:

Combined with under the cosh and a lot of long length interviews footballers have done in lockdown it would strike me that 90% of football managers are absolute self absorbed words removed.

Kevin Blackwell always comes across as a prick in these shows. Same as Megson!

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ian Hume the other day was a really good interview,  sadly he mentioned 3 Villa players he played against through it and all were deceased :( 

I'm saving that one for the weekend. 

I haven't enjoyed the video calls ones as much. Doesn't flow as well as the face to face ones. 

• Like 1

On 16/06/2020 at 13:56, MellbergsBeard said:

Freddy Bouma interview on 1874 podcast was a nice listen. 

Seen a couple of Dutch euro games recently, 2004 classic v Czech republic where he actually scored a rare goal (Baros also scored a good goal). Came on for Holland in 2008 aswell v France.

You forget what a decent player he was when we picked him up for a few million, he was actually playing CB for Holland in the 2004 game. Had a slow start here but really became a crowd favourite and was solid from 2007 onwards (Chelsea game when he completely shut down Wright Phillips was a big turning point I can remember).

That's why I keep banging on about signing decent european internationals who are experienced, we signed Bouma, Carew, Laursen, Mellberg and Petrov for about 20m (Nowadays probably about 50m) and they formed the spine that got us finishing 6th regularly.

Real shame the way it ended but he went back to Holland and I'm pretty sure they called him up for one more tournament.

Would love to see him back at VP one day to get a proper sending off like Laursen and Angel did a year ago. Still actually annoys O'Neill never put him as sub in the final game game v Blackburn when we had nothing to play for. We lost anyway.

Boom boom.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

On 16/06/2020 at 12:35, rodders0223 said:

Watch this myself. Combined with under the cosh and a lot of long length interviews footballers have done in lockdown it would strike me that 90% of football managers are absolute self absorbed words removed.

O'Neill is just part of the same set of Warnock/Steve Bruce. Not an actual coach and seems they aren't even at training ground most of the week but turn up on the Thursday to see who's up for the weekend game, a few motivational words and off you go. It worked for Brian Clough so that's the mantra they swear by.

For all the stick Pulis gets he at least is out there on the training pitch every day drilling which ever relegation threatened team he has into a cohesive unit.

I agree aswell for the imagine he projects on TV he's a pretty niggly and insecure person deep down. I remember when Wenger had a dig about our playing style after one game and MON was still bringing it up in interviews a month later!

• Like 1

On 19/06/2020 at 00:11, VillaChris said:

Seen a couple of Dutch euro games recently, 2004 classic v Czech republic where he actually scored a rare goal (Baros also scored a good goal). Came on for Holland in 2008 aswell v France.

You forget what a decent player he was when we picked him up for a few million, he was actually playing CB for Holland in the 2004 game. Had a slow start here but really became a crowd favourite and was solid from 2007 onwards (Chelsea game when he completely shut down Wright Phillips was a big turning point I can remember).

That's why I keep banging on about signing decent european internationals who are experienced, we signed Bouma, Carew, Laursen, Mellberg and Petrov for about 20m (Nowadays probably about 50m) and they formed the spine that got us finishing 6th regularly.

Real shame the way it ended but he went back to Holland and I'm pretty sure they called him up for one more tournament.

Would love to see him back at VP one day to get a proper sending off like Laursen and Angel did a year ago. Still actually annoys O'Neill never put him as sub in the final game game v Blackburn when we had nothing to play for. We lost anyway.

Boom boom.

Horrible injury he got versus Odense. Probably the worst injury I have seen live at a match. You can tell he was in agony.

He deserves huge credit for playing again after that with PSV and I think he got a few more Netherland caps as well.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2020 at 06:52, The Fun Factory said:

Horrible injury he got versus Odense. Probably the worst injury I have seen live at a match. You can tell he was in agony.

He deserves huge credit for playing again after that with PSV and I think he got a few more Netherland caps as well.

There was a picture going around at the time (don't google it unless you want to vomit.) His foot was basically facing the wrong way. Horrific. I don't look at gruesome stuff online anymore because I accidentally saw Boumas injury pic.

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

There was a picture going around at the time (don't google it unless you want to vomit.) His foot was basically facing the wrong way. Horrific. I don't look at gruesome stuff online anymore because I accidentally saw Boumas injury pic.

David Busst? Urgh. It was so bad  Schemical had to have counselling.  Luc Nillis was awful as well but at least that was towards the end of his career (but the start of his one at Villa) though.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2020 at 21:27, Xela said:

Kevin Blackwell always comes across as a prick in these shows. Same as Megson!

Good podcast. I am just listening to the Jimmy Walker episode at the moment. 

I think my favourite so far have been those describing Stan Ternent with Robbie Blake and Glen Little. I also enjoyed Mark Crossley impersonating Brian Clough early on; had a cracking nickname for him as well. 

My least favourite, largely down to his personality, was Leon Knight. An absolute weapon. 

Â