The Ex-Villa Player thread - Keeping tabs on old Villans

Moneill

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Were Veretout, Amvai, Toure and Gueye all here at the same time? There were some fantastic players on that woeful team.

Woeful manager who didn’t know how to nurture them. Probably didn’t help with them being young and new to the country/league and bought all at the same time. 

but yes, whoever scouted then was right about their potential. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JamieZ said:

Were Veretout, Amvai, Toure and Gueye all here at the same time? There were some fantastic players on that woeful team.

yes but Traore was raw, Amavi was injured after about 10 games, Veretout looked out of his depth but Gueye was OK. Management was shit that season but except Gueye nobody actually turned up that season

Just now, Zatman said:

Others that season but Veretout was crap and looked out of his depth. Maybe he could have developed but from his time here he was awful 

I could tell he was a very talented player, playing in a poor side bereft of any confidence. I remember saying this several times at the time.

If you couldn't see anything in him then that's you 🤷‍♂️

He definitely had flashes. I remember very well an assist (I think to Gabby?) in a game we actually won against Norwich which was a delightful pass. He clearly wasn't ready for a relegation battle though.

The problem that season was not in identifying potential stars - Reilly actually did a good job of that - but that the side was unbalanced with too much 'potential' and too few experienced players in the core living up to anything close to their billing. We nearly fell into the trap of too little experience in the side last season as well.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

He definitely had flashes. I remember very well an assist (I think to Gabby?) in a game we actually won against Norwich which was a delightful pass. He clearly wasn't ready for a relegation battle though.

The problem that season was not in identifying potential stars - Reilly actually did a good job of that - but that the side was unbalanced with too much 'potential' and too few experienced players in the core living up to anything close to their billing. We nearly fell into the trap of too little experience in the side last season as well.

I dont think Riley was the issue or even Sherwood. Was a club in a mess and probably should have went down before. We signed really good players with no idea how to use them Gana, Veretout, Ayew, Traore, Amavi plus Grealish is a pretty decent team now on paper, keep Ron Vlaar and we are good 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think Riley was the issue or even Sherwood. Was a club in a mess and probably should have went down before. We signed really good players with no idea how to use them Gana, Veretout, Ayew, Traore, Amavi plus Grealish is a pretty decent team now on paper, keep Ron Vlaar and we are good 

I think we were always going to struggle to cope with losing the whole spine of the team (Vlaar - Delph - Benteke). There were too many players new to the league, plus Richards learning a new position, and they came to join 'senior' players who had largely downed tools (Gabby, N'Zogbia, Guzan etc).

I liked Albert. Did his job for us and we moved him on when we got promoted. Always have good memories of him

As for Veretout, I'll be honest and say I always thought he looked dogshit. Good career so far though. I guess thats why I'm not a football scout! 

I take it there's nothing stopping Dwight getting Trinidad and Tobago national team manager job when it next becomes available given his status there?

Sol Campbell actually went there as number two 4 years ago and got two football league jobs on the back of it so was actually a decent stepping stone for him.

When did he actually apply for Villa job? I assume Sunderland was when he was player coach there under Roy Keane.

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I take it there's nothing stopping Dwight getting Trinidad and Tobago national team manager job when it next becomes available given his status there?

Sol Campbell actually went there as number two 4 years ago and got two football league jobs on the back of it so was actually a decent stepping stone for him.

When did he actually apply for Villa job? I assume Sunderland was when he was player coach there under Roy Keane.

He applied a few times because he is a Villa man that knows the club

Nothing stopping Yorke taking a lower league job and building up a CV instead of being awarded a top job, he retired in 2009 and has shown no indication of wanting to try

• Like 1

Â