Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

...OMG let's bring back Hutton, Ireland, Bent, they were completely garbage for 90% of their time here but I need somebody to moan about.

Can we bring back Alpay too?

Wash your mouth out with soap! Alpay was excellent and does not belong in the same category as those other wasters.

Ha you have proved my point exactly.

I agree....

... so long as your point was that you have a poor memory. Or maybe you aren't old enough?

Yeah, he cost £6m, had a decent season, refused to play, caused numerous problems and we not only lost any transfer calue but we had to pay him off. But in VIllatalk land as long as you haven't played for us in a while you're a class player.

Alpay was a very good player who ended up having a very bad attitude unfortunately.

As for Darren Bent pound for pound he has proven to be a very poor signing when you take into account fee and wages. We had 4 good months out of him. Some would argue his goals kept us up in 2010/11 but you look at that squad containing the likes of  Ash, Downing, Petrov, Carew, Gabby, Friedel and a defense that had been the 4th best a year earlier we should never have been in the shit we found ourselves in.

Bent was always a very limited player which is why despite at one time a very good scoring record non of the top clubs were ever interested. His peak years should have been the last 3 seasons but his goalscoring record over that time has been dire. He has another year on his contract and given he can't get into a team currently bottom of the league we are going to struggle to find a suitor in the summer especially when you consider his astronomical wages.

We just signed him at the wrong time. O.k his goals kept us up but I have a feeling that year given we still had quality like Young and Downing they would've fired us to safety.

If he'd have signed during 08-10 I'm convinced one of those years he'd have fired us into top 4 so would've entered villa folklore and his fee would've been paid for at least twice over with champions league participation rather than just keeping us in the league as in 10-11.

The problem was also we signed him knowing Young was very likely to leave that summer (and then Downing decided to aswell). So his supply line was seriously cut and thinking CNZ and Albrighton would just replace them no problem was a complete disaster.

It's the sort of signing that just sums us up in the last few years.

Alpay was a great centre-back which is why he attracted the interest from the likes of Barça and Inter in the first place. Graham Taylor handled his situation all wrong.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With Bent we would be safe now.

Tell that to Fulham ;)

Don't know about Fulham, but he'd be a clear upgrade to what we have now that Benteke and Kozak are out.

I wouldn't expect him to score many, just a few to see us up.

I can't see any of our forwards, Gabby, Andi, Holt, Callum, or anyone else scoring. With Darren we'd at least stand a chance.

• Like 2

Alpay was a great centre-back which is why he attracted the interest from the likes of Barça and Inter in the first place. Graham Taylor handled his situation all wrong.

He was mental though. As shown by his post-Villa career, his attitude outweighed his ability for me.

Tell that to Fulham ;)

Don't know about Fulham, but he'd be a clear upgrade to what we have now that Benteke and Kozak are out.

I can't see any of our forwards, Gabby, Andi, Holt, Callum, or anyone else scoring. With Darren we'd at least stand a chance.

I think you are mixing up the current Darren Bent with the Bent of 4 years ago?

• Like 3

Tell that to Fulham ;)

I think you are mixing up the current Darren Bent with the Bent of 4 years ago?

Yup, Holt today is much better.

He was mental though. As shown by his post-Villa career, his attitude outweighed his ability for me.

True but at one point we had one of the best centre halves around on our books, he was an exceptional player. 

Tell that to Fulham ;)

So first name terms with "Darren" mmmm.  Makes you wonder :P

Tell that to Fulham ;)

he is behind 2 kids and Hugo Rodallega at Fulham, hasn't scored a goal from the start all season and has less goals than Libor Kozak who has been injured since christmas

• Like 1

Tell that to Fulham ;)

he is behind 2 kids and Hugo Rodallega at Fulham, hasn't scored a goal from the start all season and has less goals than Libor Kozak who has been injured since christmas

The Darren Bent who was at Villa when Lambert took over who was fairly confident and scoring goals - would have kept us up had he stayed and played.

The Darren Bent who got bumped for Jordan Bowery, didn't play for most of the season and then got sent to Fulham wouldn't keep up a tent.

• Like 1

Â