Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Despite being marginalised Palace and Fulham still wanted him last summer, Palace couldn't afford his wages. Weren't Newcastle linked at one stage aswell? I'm sure they'll be clubs interested.

and people said Kinnear hadnt a clue ;)

Players like bent need to be playing regular. Its their sharpness and confidence that gets them simple goals. Bent looks neither sharp or confident at the moment.

This. He is what he is, a goal poacher and nothing else. Very similar to Jermaine Defoe, both players who offer nothing but if played will get you goals. I think he would be a good signing for a promoted team IF the wages were reasonable.

I dont think so. In this day and age newly promoted teams prefer workhorse centre forwards that can do more. If a team getting promoted was offered for example Bent or Walters they would take Walters.

of all the teams from say Villa down its mainly only Fulham who have luxury strikers in Bent and Berbatov and maybe WBA with Anelka all the rest have workhorses

• 3 weeks later...

From Ramos (Ex Spurs boss)

“We were left with Bent & Campbell. We couldn’t beat anyone. We couldn’t have scored if we’d used a rainbow as the goalposts.”

Ludicrous statement! Bent's record speaks for itself.

I think what he's trying to get at here is if you have two strikers like Bent you're not going to score a lot of goals. You need to have someone to put them on a plate for him.

Hasn't scored more than 10 PL goals in a season since his first season at Sunderland. Obviously his goals were very important when we first signed him but I feel we might have gotten 4th place had MON gone for a player like Bent instead of Heskey.

Hopefully, in the summer, we'll find a club that will take him off our hands. The right player signed at the wrong time by the club.

Edited by The_Steve

Hasn't scored more than 10 PL goals in a season since his first season at Sunderland. Obviously his goals were very important when we first signed him but I feel we might have gotten 4th place had MON gone for a player like Bent instead of Heskey.

Hopefully, in the summer, we'll find a club that will take him off our hands. The right player signed at the wrong time by the club.

He scored 17 the season we signed him, which was he last season of playing regularly.

• Like 1

I think it's rich when people say he offers nothing except for scoring goals, you know, since we lack goals and goals win you matches. It's also quite funny that some try to paint the portrait of him only scoring if supplied by Özil and Mata, when he scored 24 goals for a very poor Sunderland-side. He is finished now, he is older and his confidence will never return, but I think Lambert has a whole lot to do with that. He was still a very good player when Lambert took over and since that he has been poor. Interestingly enough, we have suffered since Lambert took over in terms of scoring. Weimann and Gabby never score enough and now even Benteke is struggling. At Cardiff we screamed for a poacher to put those chances away, but we don't have that option on our bench. We are all about a system, probably the worst kept secret in the Premier League because everyone knows we play best when we have a lot of space and time down the corridors. I don't want Darren Bent back now, and I would never trade him for Benteke, but I would have wanted him to play from day 1 and get that confidence. He went from captain and starter to the bench in a matter of weeks, that's not the way to do things. Especially when we have paid his wages and still have him on our books.

• Like 3

From Ramos (Ex Spurs boss)

“We were left with Bent & Campbell. We couldn’t beat anyone. We couldn’t have scored if we’d used a rainbow as the goalposts.”

The same Ramos that had a very good Spurs squad near the foot of the table before Redknapp.  

• Like 2

I think it's rich when people say he offers nothing except for scoring goals, you know, since we lack goals and goals win you matches. It's also quite funny that some try to paint the portrait of him only scoring if supplied by Özil and Mata, when he scored 24 goals for a very poor Sunderland-side. He is finished now, he is older and his confidence will never return, but I think Lambert has a whole lot to do with that. He was still a very good player when Lambert took over and since that he has been poor. Interestingly enough, we have suffered since Lambert took over in terms of scoring. Weimann and Gabby never score enough and now even Benteke is struggling. At Cardiff we screamed for a poacher to put those chances away, but we don't have that option on our bench. We are all about a system, probably the worst kept secret in the Premier League because everyone knows we play best when we have a lot of space and time down the corridors. I don't want Darren Bent back now, and I would never trade him for Benteke, but I would have wanted him to play from day 1 and get that confidence. He went from captain and starter to the bench in a matter of weeks, that's not the way to do things. Especially when we have paid his wages and still have him on our books.

It's also a bit rich to say he is the answer to all our problems when the current lot have a bad day at the office, picking out the cardiff game as an example. Bents record speaks for itself but the whole team has to be set up for him, he won't create, he wont work for the team. The origianl point above from ramos is if you have two darren bents up front then you'll struggle to score many unless they are put on a plate. Also nobody suggested that mata type players are needed for him to score goals.

• Like 1

It's also a bit rich to say he is the answer to all our problems when the current lot have a bad day at the office, picking out the cardiff game as an example. Bents record speaks for itself but the whole team has to be set up for him, he won't create, he wont work for the team. The origianl point above from ramos is if you have two darren bents up front then you'll struggle to score many unless they are put on a plate. Also nobody suggested that mata type players are needed for him to score goals.

Sorry, but did you read his post?

I wonder if Bent and Benteke could have been a good partnership. I know it didn't look good the one time we tried it, but I can't help thinking that it could have worked, particularly now Benteke has a bit more experience of playing slightly deeper at times.

• Like 1

The one time Bent & Benteke played together was Southampton away.

I thought it looked good for 45 mins & Bent actually put us ahead. The pair started the 2nd half well & linked up early to create another good chance which was missed. This would have put us 2 up & probably out of sight.

We then folded further back down the field & the 2 strikers hardly touched the ball for the last half hour or so.

One of the many things that baffled me was why the pair weren't given a run together. Even Kozac has been paired with Benteke more times.

I would have liked to have seen it more. Especially as benteke got better and better. Look at that backheel against Cardiff. Bent would have loved chances like that. Also as benteke became better and had more focus on him it would have meant bent having more space.

I know his wages were the issue but I wish we could have got more out of him.

• Like 3

Â