Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Fulham will not buy Darren Bent, absolutely no chance.

They have got a £10m+ striker already sat on the treatment table since January. I think their main concern will be what to do with him!

Like Hutton, Given, the Zog and Ireland the bomb squading of these players has left us with players worth nothing in the market. Bent has gone from £24m to zero horrendous piece of business Mr Faulkner.

He was never realistically going to earn us a profit at the age he joined us and the price we paid for him. However he did help keep us in the league for 2 seasons, and contributed a bit to a 3rd but by then he was losing his quality.

Watched him play the other day for Fulham and everything he did was poor. Poor touch, movement, shooting and decisions. Don't think he'll be playing in the PL next season.

I never expected a profit but realistically £5m to £6m wouldn't have been unreasonable after 3 years? He was always a panic buy at an over inflated price in a January window. I never expected zero return. The sad thing is by creating the bomb squad any value that Hutton, Given or Zog had have now been pissed up the wall.

You do realise that fee's weren't the problem for these players, it was their wages. They would only move on their terms i.e. being paid the same amount as they were on at VP.

Well it seems we have got to the stage where we can't give them away?

Yes and who agreed the wages in the first place?

They have got a £10m+ striker already sat on the treatment table since January. I think their main concern will be what to do with him!

Like Hutton, Given, the Zog and Ireland the bomb squading of these players has left us with players worth nothing in the market. Bent has gone from £24m to zero horrendous piece of business Mr Faulkner.

He was never realistically going to earn us a profit at the age he joined us and the price we paid for him. However he did help keep us in the league for 2 seasons, and contributed a bit to a 3rd but by then he was losing his quality.

Watched him play the other day for Fulham and everything he did was poor. Poor touch, movement, shooting and decisions. Don't think he'll be playing in the PL next season.

I never expected a profit but realistically £5m to £6m wouldn't have been unreasonable after 3 years? He was always a panic buy at an over inflated price in a January window. I never expected zero return. The sad thing is by creating the bomb squad any value that Hutton, Given or Zog had have now been pissed up the wall.

You do realise that fee's weren't the problem for these players, it was their wages. They would only move on their terms i.e. being paid the same amount as they were on at VP.

Not Paul Lambert.

Bent has gone from £24m to zero horrendous piece of business Mr Faulkner.

It was one hell of a coup when we got him. He came in that January and scored 9 goals in 16 appearances that season, the signing kept us in the league and at the time it was a signing that almost everyone was enthusiastic about. Sunderland fans were livid that we managed to sign him mid season.

In retrospect it hasn't worked out, but I don't think anyone saw him going from the fantastic strike rate he had when signed, to barely getting a game on loan at Fulham, in less than 3 years.

But to be honest, it was worth it anyway. Those goals in his first few months at the club were a major factor of us staying in the premier league, and the cost of us being relegated would have been disastrous.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

And if Villa hadn't agreed to the wages and not got him - this place would have had a meltdown as big as the end of the Ice Age and we would probably (not definite) have been relegated (or come damn closer).

And if Villa hadn't agreed to the wages and not got him - this place would have had a meltdown as big as the end of the Ice Age and we would probably (not definite) have been relegated (or come damn closer).

I know and I don't disagree. I just find it hard to fathom how we have devalued a player in such a short space of time? Even Torres will no doubt attract a fee when he leaves Chelsea and his time has been worse and Jose has lambasted his performances openly? I just find it hard to get my head round? 

The crux is he should've been signed in January 2009, not January 2011.

When he signed Young was stalling on a new deal so we knew their was a strong chance he would move on and then the rat Downing deserted aswell so that was his quality supply line gone and he became less effective from that moment.

• Like 1

I think we should be happy that the "rat" downing left, we got a good chunk of money and he pretty much lost all his good qualities straight after, good bit of business that was! Even better that we got the money from Liverpool, still take the piss out of my plop supporters friends for that one.

I just say twenty million and they start crying, gotta enjoy the small things

Edited by tomaspg

When he signed Young was stalling on a new deal so we knew their was a strong chance he would move on and then the rat Downing deserted aswell so that was his quality supply line gone and he became less effective from that moment.

Or get Benzema as was rumoured - Houllier wanted Benzema whom Real Madrid was ready to sell at sale price due poor first season but Lerner wanted Bent because he was proven premier league scorer. Imagine if we'd gotten Benzema and he'd gotten accustomed to PL quickly enough.

Edited by Jarpie

Or get Benzema as was rumoured - Houllier wanted Benzema whom Real Madrid was ready to sell at sale price due poor first season but Lerner wanted Bent because he was proven premier league scorer. Imagine if we'd gotten Benzema and he'd gotten accustomed to PL quickly enough.

Que? First time I've heard about this.

Que? First time I've heard about this.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/nov/17/aston-villa-karim-benzema

We got heskey instead of falcao too :(

I know and I don't disagree. I just find it hard to fathom how we have devalued a player in such a short space of time? Even Torres will no doubt attract a fee when he leaves Chelsea and his time has been worse and Jose has lambasted his performances openly? I just find it hard to get my head round? 

We didn't devalue him, he devalued himself - Bent refused to change his style of play. A quote from the coaching staff was " Bent wouldn't run 10 yards for you!"

No one plays an out and out poacher any more. Bent is a throwback to a previous age and taactics. His dismal performance at Fulham sums him up. Anyone who still thinks Lambert should have built a side around him is deluded - He will never score a premiership goal again

• Like 1

Benzema would never have come here in a billion years, loan, permanent or not.

Absolute nonsense, but don't let that stop you having a pop at Lerner with your made up facts.

Benzema would never have come here in a billion years, loan, permanent or not.

Absolute nonsense, but don't let that stop you having a pop at Lerner with your made up facts.

Probably not, but we'll never know. I do wonder if they tried or not.

I remember reading that AC Milan offered Huntelaar to Villa at cut-price before he was sold to Schalke but I think it was a good choice of not buying him, don't think he would've succeeded at PL.

Â