Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 13/01/2023 at 06:24, KentVillan said:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/68729/where-did-the-unavailable-meaning-of-out-of-pocket-come-from

Kind of aligns with your hypothesis tbh, as I think the meaning we use it for is much older.

https://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wc/the-many-meanings-of-out-of-pocket/

More evidence that American English should be called "American" and we should have sole naming rights to our correct usage of the language.

They're not opposite meanings, though.   They're different uses of the same phrase in different situations, and both are used regularly in the US:

"@bickster is going to be out of pocket for a few hours as he's headed down to Wolverhampton to pick up a taxi license.  He'll have to bribe the officials, though, so in the end he'll be out of pocket about 200 quid."

• Haha 1

On 15/01/2023 at 01:31, il_serpente said:

They're not opposite meanings, though.   They're different uses of the same phrase in different situations, and both are used regularly in the US:

"@bickster is going to be out of pocket for a few hours as he's headed down to Wolverhampton to pick up a taxi license.  He'll have to bribe the officials, though, so in the end he'll be out of pocket about 200 quid."

Yeah, no. That first one is just wrong.

• Like 3

On 13/01/2023 at 19:29, AVFC_Hitz said:

6 mint shower gels.

Can you come back once you've gone through these and advise where they sit them on Perineum-Tingle-Scale (starting from Fart-Bubble-In-The-Bathtub up to Original Source-gasm) please?

56 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not one for boring people with baby photos, but we ordered a customisable teddy that matches her stitches along with the equipment she needs so she's got a toy that looks a bit like her, and normalises some of the conversations we'll need to have about her conditions. Absolutely love it.

Xx3HoqU.png

If you happen to know any kids that would benefit from something like this, I have to give a plug to the site, they provide them free and only ask for donations. He's an absolutely amazing man https://3dtoy.shop/

This is awesome mate

• Like 1

On 13/01/2023 at 14:01, BOF said:

It could equally be a thing that pisses me off too, and reminded of it by @GarethRDR's post in the cat thread. My thing that cheers me up is the fact that the word 'nonplussed' has effectively 2 exactly opposite meanings depending on which side of the pond you're on. In the States it means basically not bothered, completely disinterested, whereas over here it means very bothered (surprised), bewildered.

It amuses me that this makes it an almost useless word in the global age, as each audience completely changes the meaning of the sentence :D

Can you really be "nonplussed" or "fulplussed" though?

Isn't it just "plussed"?

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Can you really be "nonplussed" or "fulplussed" though?

Isn't it just "plussed"?

Plussed isn't a word. Nonplus is a straight port from latin I think (Non plus = No further), it isn't a word with a prefix in front of it. I suppose you'd call it a false prefix or something or other

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I was having lunch at a café today. A woman stood up from her table frantically pointing to her throat. Took me a second to comprehend what was happening. I tried to perform the Heimlich Maneuver on her. I gave her about a dozen good tugs. She was making a terrible sound. I was worried I'd crack her ribs, but the alternative was clearly much worse. I was starting to think I was failing badly, but in the end I saved her! 

Did something pop out of her throat and mouth like it does in movies?  

Did she have any cracked ribs afterwards?

Was she grateful or pissed that you attacked her 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Did something pop out of her throat and mouth like it does in movies?  

Did she have any cracked ribs afterwards?

Was she grateful or pissed that you attacked her 😂

I didn't see anything come out. She said it was a cinnamon bun. No idea about the ribs. She thanked me but she wasn't gushing with gratitude. I think she had a fright and was embarrassed and trying to keep composed. 

Â