Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 30/12/2022 at 21:04, Xela said:

Wasn't Tate meant to fight Logan Paul in 2023? There is a fight for the ages! :lol:

That's one of those fights where you hope they both knock each other out simultaneously, and then the whole ring collapses into a sink hole so deep that it reaches the Earth's core.

12 hours ago, bickster said:

I hate adverts but I’m watching the Liverpool game on a rather unofficial feed and it’s taken from a Hong Kong sports channel

Now this cheers me up a number of ways

1. The adverts are hilarious, half in English and half in I presume Mandarin

2. The don’t have dickheads in the studio at half time, they just keep repeating the first half highlights, no analysis, it’s brilliant

Funnily enough I watched a Hong Kong film yesterday and was amused by how many English words they used. Sorry, entrance, stand by, signal; all words I noticed repeatedly said in English

• Like 1

Fancied a new amplifier for my hifi, spotted a Marantz 6004 on ebay, new and still boxed. 

Seller had it up for £260 or offers. I offered £200.

Auto rejected. 

Balls says I, and left it at that. 

A few hours ago I got an email from ebay offering it to me for £180.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Fancied a new amplifier for my hifi, spotted a Marantz 6004 on ebay, new and still boxed. 

Seller had it up for £260 or offers. I offered £200.

Auto rejected. 

Balls says I, and left it at that. 

A few hours ago I got an email from ebay offering it to me for £180.

spacer.png

I have reacted with sad but pissed off is closer. Why do these things never happen to me. 

• Haha 2

Got us one of them George Foreman "Immersa" grills.

It comes apart and goes in the dishwasher. No boring post-steak scraping and swilling.

Used it last night, **** excellent.

I get daily emails from a shop with offers on them. Nothing unusual there.

They must be having a hard time because they've sent, for about the last 3 weeks, daily 'super offers', with prices and offers for that day only. Again, nothing unusual. 

Except the offers they very boldly state are 'FOR TODAY ONLY' have been the same for the last 3 weeks.

Channel hopping the other night I stumbled across one of those old Top of the Pops shows and they played Toy Dolls Nellie The Elephant. It's just stupid and I'd completely forgotten about it till then but I confess it put a smile on my face for a bit. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Channel hopping the other night I stumbled across one of those old Top of the Pops shows and they played Toy Dolls Nellie The Elephant. It's just stupid and I'd completely forgotten about it till then but I confess it put a smile on my face for a bit. 

Bit of a fan of the Toy Dolls, loved seeing them on that top of the pops. As a band between 83 and 89 they released some great fun pop punk records. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Up there with "John Kettley is a Weatherman" and "Jilted John". 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I think I’ve told the story of how we booked Psychic TV for the Rag Ball at Uni because we hated the Rag Ctte and we were forced into it by the Student Council.  Yes we lost them a shit load of money. Well that wasn’t the only time we pulled that stunt…

Yep we did it with the Toy Dolls too, possibly the the year before Psychic TV.

Mandate my arse.

I think they may have eventually learned the lesson.

I really should write a book about all these stories. A diary of an 80s music biz nobody

10 hours ago, bickster said:

I think I’ve told the story of how we booked Psychic TV for the Rag Ball at Uni because we hated the Rag Ctte and we were forced into it by the Student Council.  Yes we lost them a shit load of money. Well that wasn’t the only time we pulled that stunt…

Yep we did it with the Toy Dolls too, possibly the the year before Psychic TV.

Mandate my arse.

I think they may have eventually learned the lesson.

I really should write a book about all these stories. A diary of an 80s music biz nobody

You purposefully caused a charity fundraiser to lose money?

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

You purposefully caused a charity fundraiser to lose money?

They never made money, that was the reason why we were forced to get involved. They always organised a Rag Ball that lost all the money they'd collected. This was Liverpool in the 80s, the Rag Mag, the staple of the fund raising was a handbook of old sexist and racist jokes compiled by what can only be described as socially inadequate Tories that organised the most excruciatingly embarrassing events. The idea that they'd ever make any money for charity was laughable. What they actually did was lose a charity (The Student Union) money every single year whereas we as the Ents Ctte were countrywide rarity in that we actually made them thousands upon thousands every year.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2023 at 20:15, Seat68 said:

I have reacted with sad but pissed off is closer. Why do these things never happen to me. 

No need to be pissed off mate, it's me that should be pissed off. 

Amp was due for delivery today; not only has it not arrived, ebay are showing its not even been despatched, and the word removed who's selling it is ignoring my messages. 

Lucky for him I don't know his address. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

No need to be pissed off mate, it's me that should be pissed off. 

Amp was due for delivery today; not only has it not arrived, ebay are showing its not even been despatched, and the word removed who's selling it is ignoring my messages. 

Lucky for him I don't know his address. 

@Seat68, after a second message the seller has now replied and posted the amp.

Was a bit complainey about my tone, but what do they expect if they post the stuff the day after it's supposed to arrive?

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

@Seat68, after a second message the seller has now replied and posted the amp.

Was a bit complainey about my tone, but what do they expect if they post the stuff the day after it's supposed to arrive?

spacer.png

Genuinely hope it’s all as described. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Genuinely hope it’s all as described. 

It was. arrived about an hour ago, and all set up and sounding very sweet.

Annoyingly there was no power lead, luckily I found a spare.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

We now have a fair few cars licensed by Wolverhampton Council. So that means every year they have to be driven down to Wolves for compliance testing by the council. That isn't my job thankfully nor is it what cheers me up.

I started calling these regular trips down to Wolves, the Yam Yam Express shortly after they started.

Slowly but surely this has now stuck and it is ingrained in company talk.

What are you up to tomorrow mate? I'm on the Yam Yams is now heard a lot. Brings a smile everytime I hear it.  :mrgreen:  

Bickster after the first Yam Yam response

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â