Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Between everyone going crazy about this Andrew Tate guy, and a mad rush on Aldi because of KSI's new soft drink, I feel like I've just woken from a coma into a similar but very odd reality

I'd go back to the coma. Its a safer space!

18 hours ago, El Zen said:

I’ll elaborate @maqroll: The story goes that in making his (laughably awful) comeback video to Greta, he revealed his location to local authorities by featuring a pair of pizza boxes from a local pizzeria in the video. 

I think that is a bit of a red herring. Tate lives in Romania and he was arrested at his own property. There is no way the Romanian authorities didn't know he was there all along. He would have flown back into Bucharest recently on this passport. Its a nice story about the pizza boxes but sounds a bit of a stretch. 

Wasn't Tate meant to fight Logan Paul in 2023? There is a fight for the ages! :lol:

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I think that is a bit of a red herring. Tate lives in Romania and he was arrested at his own property. There is no way the Romanian authorities didn't know he was there all along. He would have flown back into Bucharest recently on this passport. Its a nice story about the pizza boxes but sounds a bit of a stretch. 

Probably, hence ‘allegedly’ upthread. Still, it’s a deliciously funny story. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Wasn't Tate meant to fight Logan Paul in 2023? There is a fight for the ages! :lol:

He has more than one property in the country appararently, the pizza box told them which one he was at, so the story goes

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I think seeing a westerner in the flesh is still a novelty for a lot of Chinese , I went there in 2000 and was almost getting mobbed for photos , was back there with my son in 2018 and as we walked on the Great Wall all these old Chinese women kept wanting photos with him ( nobody wanted pictures with me , clearly the boy is cuter than me )  … but her red hair probably made her even more distinctive and lucky 

I once had a crazy 28 hour train journey from Nanning to Beijing.  They'd sold out of sleeper carriages so I spent the whole time in the standard seats and the rest of the carriage was in awe of me.

It began with an old lady stroking the hair on my legs, then beard and quickly became the whole carriage around me, taking turns to ask me for photos and talking to me through the one guy (a doctor) who could speak a bit of English.  Gifts I received includes a satsuma, a tub of noodles, a cigar, countless shots and a random old coin.  Had people making space and offering to give up seats so I could lie down towards the end of the journey too (I declined).  Good fun but I advise you to always book a sleeper on a journey anywhere near that long!

A white person was obviously a rarity for them but if they'd just waited until they got off the train in Beijing the novelty would have soon worn off.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I once had a crazy 28 hour train journey from Nanning to Beijing.  They'd sold out of sleeper carriages so I spent the whole time in the standard seats and the rest of the carriage was in awe of me.

It began with an old lady stroking the hair on my legs, then beard and quickly became the whole carriage around me, taking turns to ask me for photos and talking to me through the one guy (a doctor) who could speak a bit of English.  Gifts I received includes a satsuma, a tub of noodles, a cigar, countless shots and a random old coin.  Had people making space and offering to give up seats so I could lie down towards the end of the journey too (I declined).  Good fun but I advise you to always book a sleeper on a journey anywhere near that long!

A white person was obviously a rarity for them but if they'd just waited until they got off the train in Beijing the novelty would have soon worn off.

I did the sleeper train up to Tibet …think that was around 24 hours journey time  , thankfully I had a bed , but the rest was a similar sort of experience to you … I walked through third class and this old lady screamed and thought I was a ghost … and then did that thing that grandmothers kinda do where they pinch your cheeks and make noises , then she was touching my hair  and  stroking me … I say old lady , they have it tough in stover , she could have been 26 for all I knew :) 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Ze German family all sat watching dinner for one, in English, on one of the main German TV channels, apparently they show it every year

They all know it off by heart, I've never seen it before

I saw this on QI years ago, I was never sure it was a real tradition. Fantastic. 

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Ze German family all sat watching dinner for one, in English, on one of the main German TV channels, apparently they show it every year

Followed by 3 hours of Mr bean

Lived her for 4 years and its my first new years out in the sticks, bit wierd, waiting for the fireworks at midnight been banned for 2 years

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

So you don't drink tonight because of tomorrow's repercussions...

I'm surprisingly ok with curry! I think my body has got used to it :D 

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

We do the same since 76, they have since 73. I missed it today, what a shame......

"Fun" fact. Of all the re-runs, only Switzerland, Sweden and Norway use the Swiss recording of the sketch and not the german one

Looking forward to my annual NYD Movie binge. Starts at around 9.30am and then it's just one movie after another (chosen by me) until we hit the 2nd Jan.

Family members drop in and out during the day according to the movie that is on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It’s on every single year here as well, and we all know it by heart. However, rather confusingly, it’s on every year the day before xmas eve, which is absurd because in the bit they are celebrating New Year’s Eve 🤷‍♂️

I hate adverts but I’m watching the Liverpool game on a rather unofficial feed and it’s taken from a Hong Kong sports channel

Now this cheers me up a number of ways

1. The adverts are hilarious, half in English and half in I presume Mandarin

2. The don’t have dickheads in the studio at half time, they just keep repeating the first half highlights, no analysis, it’s brilliant

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

1. The adverts are hilarious, half in English and half in I presume Mandarin

More likely to be Cantonese, but Mandarin proficiency is growing there. 

• Like 1

Â