The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

The papers have jumped on the comment from Garde last night and come up with "manager slates player" for me it's a constructive enough piece of criticism and I thought he was right, but it's not the end of the world. I think the effort was there from Jack, but that he expended his energy on the wrong things - he needs more games, but we have a team that works and he doesn't right now deserve a place in it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Opportunity to shine and show what he can do and blows it yet again. Can't help but feel he'll be yet another in a relatively long line of youngsters who have failed to live up to their talent here.

Who will then move on and have a good career with someone else.

• Like 1

lol @ "hits out at Grealish". All he said is he wasn't up to the standard he wanted and attributed it to it being down to not playing in a while. No doubt it was a question pressed to him by journalists too.

Love Garde though :wub:

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The papers have jumped on the comment from Garde last night and come up with "manager slates player" for me it's a constructive enough piece of criticism and I thought he was right, but it's not the end of the world. I think the effort was there from Jack, but that he expended his energy on the wrong things - he needs more games, but we have a team that works and he doesn't right now deserve a place in it.

Thought exactly the same when I read it. He's hardly "hitting out" at Grealish.

It's constructive criticism. 

• Like 1

I don't think it really has much to do with Lambert, Sherwood, our system, our plight, or any of those things.

Obviously I accept good management plays its part, as does good circumstances, but in the end it is down to the individual.

The signs were clear to see in the summer that, for somebody wanting to compete in sport at a high level, he does not have the right attitude.

I have rarely seen examples where that is the case in which the person concerned then ' changes' anywhere near sufficiently to be worth the effort.

The press are so anti villa at the minute it Unbelieveable. A simple constructive statement gets turned around as he skates the player. Garde even says he played in the hour that the whole team was crap and he'd just come back from injury!! Don't get me wrong I was dissapointed in him last night but he's a kid who came in firing and is now having a slump. I don't think it helps playing him as a 10 especially with a 9 who doesn't do any runs. If we got a few in I'd loan him to a championship side and get him to play LW to build him up as realistically we will be there next year. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don't think it really has much to do with Lambert, Sherwood, our system, our plight, or any of those things.

Obviously I accept good management plays its part, as does good circumstances, but in the end it is down to the individual.

The signs were clear to see in the summer that, for somebody wanting to compete in sport at a high level, he does not have the right attitude.

I have rarely seen examples where that is the case in which the person concerned then ' changes' anywhere near sufficiently to be worth the effort.

I'm calling bullshit on this one.

First, no manager or member of our coaching staff has pointed to his "attitude" as a problem. That mistake in the summer is hardly a fair reflection of the lads attitude, he was 19 ffs. You see a picture in a newspaper and you suddenly draw conclusions on the application and fitness of a professional athlete!

Second, football of all sports is littered with examples of players with the "wrong attitude" who eventually make it to the top of the game. Roy Keane had a woeful attitude at Forrest and his early days at United. Ah look around, Stoke front 3 all had pretty much failed until Hughes got his hands on them.

I think in time Garde will get the best out of Grealish.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Raheem Sterling?

On 19/01/2016 at 10:21, DCJonah said:

You don't need to watch the clips. Just remember the games last season (his first as a starting player) and he was the best player on the pitch most games. There's a reason two national teams wanted him and why he's clearly highly rated in the game. 

29 games - 1 goal, 1 assist

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Lambert held him back because he didn't rate him enough. Grealish proved last year that was the wrong decision. Things have happened this year and he's to blame as well but last season happened. 

Last season 17 games 0 goals 1 assist - breathtaking!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Last season 17 games 0 goals 1 assist - breathtaking!!

Doesn't tell you anything.

Jack clearly looked a very exciting prospect once he broke into the team last season. He stayed in the team on merit.

Yeah, Grealish looked good under Sherwood...

..but I actually think Sherwood has done as much harm as he has good with Grealish.  Starting Grealish and making him feel like an integral part of the team was brilliant and Jack thrived.  However, he went too far - "60m" etc. and I think it's pushed Grealish too far in to "I'm brilliant" land.  He needs to get back to grafting.

I have faith in Garde, though.  Grealish is still a talent, no doubt.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

I think the whole England vs Ireland debate has had a major impact on young Jack.

As with most youngsters he showed a few glimpses of excellence (semi-final vs Liverpool) and the press suddenly jumped on him as being the next best thing, it's all gone to his head, inflated his ego and he thought he would walk into not just the Villa first XI but the next England squad too.

As it is, his club career is now meandering into nothingness, he'll get nowhere near the England team and Ireland, I'm sure, would tell him where to go if he tried to go back them.

Unless he pulls his head out of his arse I'd say his career might amount to a Lee Hendrie at best.

33 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure about you but I like to watch matches. You look at your stats screen if you want. 

I agree with this. I like to think that I know a good footballer when I see one, I don't need stats to tell me.

Very disappointed by how things have gone for him this year, especially if the reason is his own lack of focus or determination. Certainly the inclusion of Gil shows that the manager is prepared to include flair players as long as they make an attempt to work for the team, so I don't think any blame can be put at the manager's door.

I'm not sure I even buy the argument of Jack's loyalty to Sherwood - didn't Grealish make similar comments when Lambert was sacked about how "gutted" he was?

I think he has suffered from a combination of - second season syndrome (he's no longer a surprise package because of the hype around him early in the season), his antics off the pitch, the fact the whole team has been poor and has been lacking organisation and leadership until the last month or so - and ultimately his confidence is now shot to bits. 

There was some comments about him choosing the easy pass alot yesterday - which would be a tell tale sign for me that he is afraid of making mistakes now.

I still think he has a future with us, but I don't expect to see much of him for the rest of the season. He could be a key player for us next year if we are relegated, likewise if we manage to stay up I think Remi will sort him out in the summer. Sadly, he's a bit of a distraction at the moment, so I wouldn't have him in the matchday squad for crucial league games.

Â