The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

The thing is, he really was really good, several times. We aren't just collectively misremembering it. But what happened? Time for a looooooong sit down on the sidelines. I'd genuinely look to loan him to a Championship team for the rest of the season. 

Confidence looks shot to bits IMO. Stupid in the summer, didn't get a proper pre season, change of manager, media attention and once again being a prick. Its all adding up to him looking terrible. I agree, loan him out, get him away playing regular football and let's start again in the summer. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The myth that Lambert never gave Grealish a chance is still going I see.

He gave him chances till he signed his contract and then he literally disappeared for a month or two. He never gave him a start. Sherwood did and he repaid him for that faith. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He gave him chances till he signed his contract and then he literally disappeared for a month or two. He never gave him a start. Sherwood did and he repaid him for that faith. 

He did start him.

The problem was Grealish played shite under Lambert.

That's probably Lambert's fault because he couldn't get the best out of him like Sherwood did. 

But saying Lambert never gave Grealish a chance isn't true. He got minutes under Lambert and was never anything more than crap. That's why he didn't get more.

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The thing is, he really was really good, several times. We aren't just collectively misremembering it. But what happened? Time for a looooooong sit down on the sidelines. I'd genuinely look to loan him to a Championship team for the rest of the season. 

He's (not) playing for a championship team at the moment.

1 hour ago, Pilchard said:

I think we need to be careful with Jack.

He has talent. But not shown it for a while now. He's going through a patch like Albrighton did under Houllier, after a break through under a previous manager.

We don't want to make the same mistake - but can't carry him either.

I agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Opportunity to shine and show what he can do and blows it yet again. Can't help but feel he'll be yet another in a relatively long line of youngsters who have failed to live up to their talent here.

It keeps on happening. Maybe it's more to do with the Villa than the players?

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He did start him.

The problem was Grealish played shite under Lambert.

That's probably Lambert's fault because he couldn't get the best out of him like Sherwood did. 

But saying Lambert never gave Grealish a chance isn't true. He got minutes under Lambert and was never anything more than crap. That's why he didn't get more.

He started him in cup games. I should have been more specific. 

He wasn't great but I think it's always difficult to make an impact coming from the bench. He did also get dropped for about 7 weeks after signing his contract, that's hardly a manager having faith and giving someone a chance. 

You could say Sherwood gave Ayew and Veretout a chance this season and they were rubbish for him. But really a proper chance is a manager having the faith in you to start and be a key player. Both Ayew and Veretout have benefitted from that as did Grealish last season once Sherwood picked him. 

Opportunity to shine and show what he can do and blows it yet again. Can't help but feel he'll be yet another in a relatively long line of youngsters who have failed to live up to their talent here.

It keeps on happening. Maybe it's more to do with the Villa than the players?

Does it keep happening though?

I'd be interested to know who these players are. Some have had to leave to improve sure, we've foolishly let some bloody good players go too, but we've produced our fair share IMO.

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Does it keep happening though?

I'd be interested to know who these players are. Some have had to leave to improve sure, we've foolishly let some bloody good players go too, but we've produced our fair share IMO.

How many youngsters have stayed here recently and actually succeeded (for the club rather than for themselves)?

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

He started him in cup games. I should have been more specific. 

He wasn't great but I think it's always difficult to make an impact coming from the bench. He did also get dropped for about 7 weeks after signing his contract, that's hardly a manager having faith and giving someone a chance. 

You could say Sherwood gave Ayew and Veretout a chance this season and they were rubbish for him. But really a proper chance is a manager having the faith in you to start and be a key player. Both Ayew and Veretout have benefitted from that as did Grealish last season once Sherwood picked him. 

This whole conversation is a big WOOSH! for you.

• Like 1

Grealish is more overrated by villa fans than any other player i have seen. Besides one or two decent games.. he hasnt done much at all. Not this season anyway. Is he still upset his mate Tim got the punt or is he just shit? Doesnt seem very passionate about the club. If i was picked in the side i would run my arse off for this club.. never mind having his ability and fitness. 

Garde clearly unimpressed:

Garde hits out at subpar Grealish

Jack Grealish made just his second start for Aston Villa since the end of November but it did not go to plan for the 20-year-old.

Aston Villa manager Remi Garde has criticised Jack Grealish after a subpar performance in the side's FA Cup third round replay against Wycombe Wanderers on Tuesday. 

Grealish has rarely featured under Garde after being pictured in a nightclub following a 4-0 Premier League loss to Everton in November.

The 20-year-old was making just his second start since that game against Everton, but was hauled off on 73 minutes with their tie against Wycombe still goalless. 

Late goals from Ciaran Clark and Idrissa Gana spared Villa's blushes against their fourth-tier opponents, but Garde did not hold back in his assessment of Grealish's performance.

"It was Jack’s first game for quite a long time – and I haven’t seen what I wanted to see from him," he said. "He played in the part of the game when we weren’t playing well collectively.

"We were the Premier League team and for the first hour I didn’t see that.

"My team was poor technically for an hour I am not happy about that - but I’m happy with the result because this kind of game is sometimes a trap."

Villa were booed off the park going into the interval and Garde said he used that as motivation for the players. 

"With the crowd booing the home team off at half-time, I told them ‘you’ve done yourself a world of good there’. It's a nervy place," he said.

"When fans are nervous tension comes on to pitch the players do feel it, negativity grows so quickly.

"Defeat it is never easy to take but I am extremely proud. I was taking players off who can't run anymore and that makes a manager proud."

link: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/garde-hits-out-subpar-grealish#:qiHBC_zUjlEBKA

Edited by ozvillafan
formatting

I would argue he does not deserve to be on the bench till he gets his head right, constant falling over when touched and waving his arms at the ref, moaning, walking round and a poor touch. he was an embarrassment last night, if an opposition player did what he did we would have slaughtered him every time he got the ball, If he wants to win the crowd over then he needs to show some passion, win a tackle, go round his man, shoot, pass the ball (to a villa player would be helpful). Last night he looked like a spoiled primadonna and should have been subbed way before he was.

His only way back now is if he goes on loan, works hard, keeps his head down and comes back next season with a point to prove to THIS manager.

Such a shame, but like many of our prospects before hasn't been able to warrant tge hype generated around him.

Perhaps his failure to live up to the hype is the fault of our previous "gobby" manager.....£60M anyone ?

Â