The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He was crap the first season, it wasn't until he returned from injury last year that we saw him play brilliant game after game. You'd have to be a fool or someone who hates Grealish to try and argue that since that point he hasn't been an important part of the team. 

he was pretty crap right until bruce finally put him in his proper role

he was never a left winger in a month of sundays

@LakotaDakota I really can't fathom your angle here.

Firstly, I will concede, Grealish is not on the same level as David Silva, Coutinho or Modric were at his age. His potential is still unknown though.

But back to my reason for posting, do you simply not rate Grealish's contribution on the pitch when you watch us play? If so, I am dumbfounded.

Or is your gripe purely on a statistical basis? Even still, I don't get it..

• A pass accuracy of just under 90%, 50 passes per game, 48 are short passes.
  • the 3rd highest key passes per game in the division
  • fouled an average of 5 times per game (often in final third)
  • 2 successful dribbles per game (65% success)
  • 9 duels won per game (over 60%)
  • Over 2 shots per game, 1 from outside the box, 1 from penalty area.
  • Shooting accuracy is 30% on target, 40% blocked, 30% misses.
  • Involved in a goal for 1 in every 3 matches played
  • 1.4 bad touches per game, dispossessed twice per game.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Why just look at Smiths? do the games he was shit in at the start of the season not count anymore?

For someone who whines about stats being out of context you are being rather selective there...

Sorry but you are fighting a losing battle here.

Before Smith came in Bruce was playing players out of position on a weekly basis, Grealish included. Bruce was the main catalyst for the poor results and in games where Grealish was being deployed on the wings he was proving ineffective, this directly led to some of the poorer results. When Smith came in and regularly played Grealish through the middle our results dramatically improved.

The main reason for the poor results since December has been due to the loss of Grealish and Tuanzebe. It's not rocket science.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Sorry but you are fighting a losing battle here.

Before Smith came in Bruce was playing players out of position on a weekly basis, Grealish included. Bruce was the main catalyst for the poor results and in games where Grealish was being deployed on the wings he was proving ineffective, this directly led to some of the poorer results. When Smith came in and regularly played Grealish through the middle our results dramatically improved.

The main reason for the poor results since December has been due to the loss of Grealish and Tuanzebe. It's not rocket science.

Sorry but Grealish was pretty crap at the start of the season and was subsequently moved to the wing while he got his head together after the summer. It wasn't "he was crap because he was on the wing" it was "he was crap so he was moved out to the wing". 

I know it's popular to blame Bruce for literally everything but I'll keep saying this until it becomes no longer true, the best and most consistent form of Jack Grealish's career has come in the 2nd half of last season, under Bruce. Bruce so far is literally the only manager able to get a consistent tune out of him so it's one area you can't really criticise him for 

I've got tickets for Saturday so hopefully Grealish will be in and even more hopefully Smith will end up trumping Bruce by getting even better, consistent performances from him and we'll all be happy 

• Like 1

Having someone who's going to pick up the ball in dangerous areas, win free kicks and actually take a player on is going to wonders for us. His calming presence on the ball will help others settle.

Can't bloody wait for him to be back. Such a good player. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, weedman said:

Sorry but Grealish was pretty crap at the start of the season and was subsequently moved to the wing while he got his head together after the summer. It wasn't "he was crap because he was on the wing" it was "he was crap so he was moved out to the wing". 

I know it's popular to blame Bruce for literally everything but I'll keep saying this until it becomes no longer true, the best and most consistent form of Jack Grealish's career has come in the 2nd half of last season, under Bruce. Bruce so far is literally the only manager able to get a consistent tune out of him so it's one area you can't really criticise him for 

I've got tickets for Saturday so hopefully Grealish will be in and even more hopefully Smith will end up trumping Bruce by getting even better, consistent performances from him and we'll all be happy 

I agree with some of what you say, Bruce did get a tune out of him last year but I would imagine most managers would have been able to. After his return from injury he was a much better all round player and instantly became our driving force in games. Bruce can get the credit for playing him consistently of course, as no manager before him had done so.

At the start of the season he was superb in the first few games, it was mentioned that he looked as though his head had been turned but he was still delivering in games. As the team performaces dipped his performances also dipped. The move to the wing wasn't due to his performances in the middle being poor, it was due to Bruce not knowing how to fix the problem and panicking. With him out wide we beat Rotherham, lost to Sheff Wed and drew to Bristol and Preston - all winnable games.

With you on Saturday though, I am hoping he starts and we see him bringing the Villa team back to life.

Jack Grealish's Match History

Played' Rating
EC 06-08-2018 Hull 1 : 3 Aston Villa     83' 7.41
EC 11-08-2018 Aston Villa 3 : 2 Wigan     90' 7.8
EFLC 14-08-2018 Yeovil 0 : 1 Aston Villa     33' N/A
EC 18-08-2018 Ipswich 1 : 1 Aston Villa     90' 7.84
EC 22-08-2018 Aston Villa 2 : 2 Brentford     90' 7.72
EC 25-08-2018 Aston Villa 1 : 1 Reading     45' 6.64
EC 01-09-2018 Sheffield United 4 : 1 Aston Villa     90' 6.06
EC 15-09-2018 Blackburn 1 : 1 Aston Villa     90' 7.01
EC 18-09-2018 Aston Villa 2 : 0 Rotherham     90' 7.17
EC 22-09-2018 Aston Villa 1 : 2 Sheffield Wednesday     90' 6.49
EC 28-09-2018 Bristol City 1 : 1 Aston Villa     90' 6.72
EC 02-10-2018 Aston Villa 3 : 3 Preston     90' 6.69
EC 06-10-2018 Millwall 2 : 1 Aston Villa     90' 6.86
EC 20-10-2018 Aston Villa 1 : 0 Swansea     83' 6.65
EC 23-10-2018 Norwich 2 : 1 Aston Villa     90' 7.22
EC 26-10-2018 Queens Park Rangers 1 : 0 Aston Villa     90' 8.09
EC 02-11-2018 Aston Villa 2 : 0 Bolton     90' 9.8
EC 10-11-2018 Derby 0 : 3 Aston Villa     90' 7.06
EC 25-11-2018 Aston Villa 4 : 2 Birmingham     90' 8.24
EC 28-11-2018 Aston Villa 5 : 5 Nottingham Forest     90' 7.55
EC 01-12-2018 Middlesbrough 0 : 3 Aston Villa     90' 7.44
EC 07-12-2018 West Bromwich Albion 2 : 2 Aston Villa     87' 7.31

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He need a shave, that looks terrible Jack!

Not your cup of tea? 😉

There’s more than being unshaven that I’m not so keen on but fortunately it’s his footballing ability that matters to me. :flag:

7 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

If he's not fit to play 90 minutes I'd prefer to give him an hour from the start and be on the front foot instead of giving him 30 minutes when we could well be chasing the game.

I agree but it is possible Jack currently only has 30 or 40 minutes of game pace in him, in which case it would have to be a sub only appearance.

16 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

If he's not fit to play 90 minutes I'd prefer to give him an hour from the start and be on the front foot instead of giving him 30 minutes when we could well be chasing the game.

Could do it that way round, yes, could work better.

I do think we need to be realistic about how effective he will be in his first game back. He’s been out a long time and the team has fallen into bad ways of playing in his absence.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

This is why Jack is so important to the Villa, and the way Dean plays, just watch the last minute or so and see how he commits players. First touch is quality as well.

Kodjia was offside for that last goal. Jimmy out!

Â