Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I watched a mini series that David Lynch made for HBO in the early 90s called Hotel Room, I think it's pretty much impossible to find a copy of it, so had to watch on youtube and the quality of the picture isn't great, but definitely worth it if you like David Lynch's work, kind of reminded me of Inside No 9, similar concept but with less humour, the first episode starred Harry Dean Stanton.

• Like 1

everything good is finishing or has just finished:

Big Bang Theory

Shadowhunters

Designated Survivor

Suits

The Originals (catching up on final series)

The 100 (current season finished, next season final season)

Vikings (final season about to start)

Can anyone recommend any new series?  Stuff like the above series preferred, easy watching rather than slow or serious.

33 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Big Bang Theory

Shadowhunters

Designated Survivor

Suits

Can anyone recommend any new series?  Stuff like the above series preferred, easy watching rather than slow or serious.

Classic TV - Minder

10 series to watch

All on ITV Catch up

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Warrior and Brassic. 

Warrior - great fight scenes, good story (without being complicated), good characters, well watchable. 

Brassic - surprisingly funny and a real easy watch. Most of the jokes land and there are some real LOL moments. 

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Big Bang Theory

Shadowhunters

Designated Survivor

Suits

I've watched Suits from the very beginning. It was great TV. Unfortunately apart from imagining what Donna's tits look like, the last two seasons have been shite,  it went on two seasons too long.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

You'll be wanting to watch that show on Sky, can't remember what it's called.

Slapstick comedy about whether or not there is graphite on the ground. Lots of funny fellers walking around in silly costumes doing silly accents and people whose skin changes colour. Laugh a minute.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I've watched Suits from the very beginning. It was great TV. Unfortunately apart from imagining what Donna's tits look like, the last two seasons have been shite,  it went on two seasons too long.

I’m still slowly ploughing through S7 and it’s run it’s course. Not sure I’ll be able to do another 2. 

It’s still watchable, but they have ran out of ideas now - it’s rinse and repeat every week. 

• Like 1

On 03/09/2019 at 22:02, Designer1 said:

Been doing that myself. Just this minute finished season 3.

I was worried that it might have aged but **** me it's even better the second time around.

Absolutely peerless imo.

Just about to sit down to watch the final episode of Season 4.

Imo one of the greatest episodes of TV ever.

On 13/09/2019 at 10:37, ender4 said:

If you haven't already seen it you may as well watch the spin-off Legacies, season 1 done, 2 due to start soon. Presuming you have seen vampire diaries

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

If you haven't already seen it you may as well watch the spin-off Legacies, season 1 done, 2 due to start soon. Presuming you have seen vampire diaries

ohh thank you, i didn't realise there was a spin-off from the spin-off! 

i will definitely check that out.

Started the new season of Top Boy. The first two episodes have been some of the hardest TV to follow in a while, the slang is up to the max along with Jamaican accents. I had no idea what was going on by the end of episode 1.

Just finished episode three and it's starting to get back to it's best. 

I'm looking forward to watching the doc series Country Music by Ken Burns on PBS.

On 20/08/2019 at 17:56, Chindie said:

Finished Mindhunter series 2.

Better than the first series. Turning into a top notch show and I can't wait for the next one.

• Like 2

Got 2 episodes left of mind hunter, can't make my mind up on it, the atlanta stuff is excellent, the interviews still work, they've expanded in to the lives of the other characters in a good way... And they've written off holden... He's become a shit boring asshole of a character 

My attitude towards Mindhunter is summed up quite nicely by this tweet:

They carried that on in Season Two as well. The highest moment of drama was whether a man would be able to carry a prefab cross across a few city blocks to some people who didn't really want it anyway in an ultimately fruitless avenue of investigation. I don't need exploding helicopters every five minutes, but maybe they could very occasionally do *something* to get the blood pulsing. It looks great though, no doubt, and it's very well acted, and all very professional.

I realise I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I love Better Call Saul and I truly recognise that you could sometimes make the same accusation there, but I guess I just find it a bit more interesting.

Edited by HanoiVillan

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

My attitude towards Mindhunter is summed up quite nicely by this tweet:

They carried that on in Season Two as well. The highest moment of drama was whether a man would be able to carry a prefab cross across a few city blocks to some people who didn't really want it anyway in an ultimately fruitless avenue of investigation. I don't need exploding helicopters every five minutes, but maybe they could very occasionally do *something* to get the blood pulsing. It looks great though, no doubt, and it's very well acted, and all very professional.

I realise I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I love Better Call Saul and I truly recognise that you could sometimes make the same accusation there, but I guess I just find it a bit more interesting.

Mad Men was infuriating for that kind of thing.  Nothing ever really happened.  I love Mindhunter, throwing in police chases and whatever would ruin it for me as the focus of the programme is about profiling the serial killers, which I find fascinating.  Tbh the stuff about the lesbians and the kid I found a bit annoying and could have done without.

• Like 1

So called 'prestige tv' is dead, died when Mad Men finished. So many overrated shows these days, seems like people will watch anything in the race to find the next thing to 'binge' watch. I used to be similar in 2017 I was watching Handsmaid's Tale, Better Call Saul, The Americans, and maybe a few others, then Twin Peaks The Return started and I couldn't believe how good it was, kind of made me lose all interest in all other TV dramas.

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I love Mindhunter, throwing in police chases and whatever would ruin it for me as the focus of the programme is about profiling the serial killers, which I find fascinating.  Tbh the stuff about the lesbians and the kid I found a bit annoying and could have done without.

I didn’t mind the family bit at all, if only as it distracted Tench from the work in Atlanta.

If Tench was properly focused, who knows if the bridge scene with Wayne Williams would’ve played out differently? 

The lesbian sub plot did at times feel shoehorned in though, just to give her something to do in the show!

• Like 1

Mindhunter is excellent. It's about different things to the usual crime drama - it's about the development of 'smarter' policing, using psychology and methodology to catch some of the worst of the criminal world, who were very good at hiding, and it's about the way that can be used. I actually felt that the second series was a bit of a stumble in some respects, the stuff with Tench's kid was as subtle as a brick and stood out like a sore thumb against the real stuff they were pulling from, and the personal life of the doctor was just kinda pointless. We understand that she's cold and looks at emotions the way an alien would - witnessing them and analysing them, but not really understanding them, a whole side plot about her **** up a relationship and deciding to walk away isn't needed.

It does help with the series if you're interested in the people they interview, I guess. Theres an exploitation esque thrill to the portrayals of these deeply broken people.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Mindhunter is excellent. It's about different things to the usual crime drama - it's about the development of 'smarter' policing, using psychology and methodology to catch some of the worst of the criminal world, who were very good at hiding, and it's about the way that can be used. I actually felt that the second series was a bit of a stumble in some respects, the stuff with Tench's kid was as subtle as a brick and stood out like a sore thumb against the real stuff they were pulling from, and the personal life of the doctor was just kinda pointless. We understand that she's cold and looks at emotions the way an alien would - witnessing them and analysing them, but not really understanding them, a whole side plot about her **** up a relationship and deciding to walk away isn't needed.

It does help with the series if you're interested in the people they interview, I guess. Theres an exploitation esque thrill to the portrayals of these deeply broken people.

I assumed that the main characters were actually based on the real detectives so at the time thought the stuff with the kid was just part of the real story.  It was only after that I found they are completely fictionalized versions of them and they shoehorned it in for the sake of it.

21 minutes ago, useless said:

So called 'prestige tv' is dead, died when Mad Men finished. So many overrated shows these days, seems like people will watch anything in the race to find the next thing to 'binge' watch. I used to be similar in 2017 I was watching Handsmaid's Tale, Better Call Saul, The Americans, and maybe a few others, then Twin Peaks The Return started and I couldn't believe how good it was, kind of made me lose all interest in all other TV dramas.

I can see where you’re coming from with Twin peaks. Despite not being that popular on here, it really was head and shoulders above anything else (again) when it came out in 2017. 

That said, I don’t agree about prestige TV being ‘dead’, I almost think the total opposite to be honest. 

The sheer volume of shows being released can make it hard to separate the very best from the also rans, and hype over substance can be an issue, but there has been some great TV in the past couple of years and it shows no sign of letting up. 

If we compare everything to the likes of Twin Peaks, then the vast majority of shows will fall short. A bit like comparing your favourite film to every other movie you watch - they can’t all be right up there, but it doesn’t mean they are no good? 

Â