Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

Finished Mindhunter series 2.

Really excellent. They handled the ambiguity around the the main case quite well and how it ultimately was both a victory and a failure, and an exceptionally difficult matter to deal with.

I still don't like the story with Tench's family. I know why it's there, it does serve a purpose, but it's so unbelievable and on the nose it sticks out like a sore thumb in a series that is heavily, heavily based on actual events. It fleshes out the personal impact of the work the agents do, and it starts to ask questions of impact of the research they've done and what it actually means. But it's so unbelievable and not terribly compelling.

But overall the series is excellent again. And it does continue the BTK plot nicely, being much more overt about him, what made him tick. He's a very, very interesting case, and the series will have to make a decision in how they end the story.

BTK spoiler...

Spoiler

Didn't BTK get caught in the 2000's or something? Going to be one hell of a time jump to complete it. 

Edited by PieFacE

39 minutes ago, PieFacE said:
  Hide contents

Didn't BTK get caught in the 2000's or something? Going to be one hell of a time jump to complete it. 

Spoiler

Yes. He was caught in 2005, 14 years after his last confirmed murder. And caught in a completely stupid way. I would expect they'll end his story in an epilogue, just because of how long it took to get him, and also how long he was active. 

They'll have to have some resolution as he is almost an antithesis to the some of the thoughts the BSU team had. Rader was completely normal to the outside world. He held down steady work. He had a family. He was a respected community member - he chaired the church committee, was a scout leader. He had no previous convictions. His childhood was normal. Nobody knew he was capable of stalking women and strangling them to death for his own gratification, of killing a family to get off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, choffer said:

The only issue I have with Mindhunter is the fact that in literally every scene outside the buildings at Quantico, you can hear someone firing off an automatic weapon in the background. Surely they don't use the ranges there 24/7?

Yes I've noticed that

Anyone know if the rights to use the War of the World name has expired or something?

Apparently there are 2 TV-shows coming out next year on that theme.

One is called War of the Worlds and is set in modern day Europe, starring Gabriel Byrne.

The other one is called The War of the Worlds and is set in Edwardian era in London, starring Rafe Spall and Eleanor Tomlinson.

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Anyone know if the rights to use the War of the World name has expired or something?

One is called War of the Worlds and is set in modern day Europe, starring Gabriel Byrne.

The other one is called The War of the Worlds and is set in Edwardian era in London, starring Rafe Spall and Eleanor Tomlinson.

I don’t know how Film/TV rights work, but the book is now in the ‘public domain’ as the copyright expired a couple of years ago.  

• Thanks 1

Peaky Blinders

Watchmen 

Carnival Row 

Dark Crystal 

The Witcher

Final season of The Good Place

Walking Dead (yeah I know, VT pretty much hates this now) 

Bake Off!  

Wu-Tang: An American Saga 

The Spy

His Dark Materials 

The Mandalorian 

Autumn/Winter is going to be ace - I love not leaving the house. Just bring me food and Drugs and I’m living my best life

giphy.gif

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Peaky Blinders

Watchmen 

Carnival Row 

Dark Crystal 

The Witcher

Final season of The Good Place

Walking Dead (yeah I know, VT pretty much hates this now) 

Bake Off!  

Wu-Tang: An American Saga 

The Spy

His Dark Materials 

The Mandalorian 

Autumn/Winter is going to be ace - I love not leaving the house. Just bring me food and Drugs and I’m living my best life

Rick and Morty in November 

Final season of The Man in the High Castle.

S 3 of Babylon Berlin

S1 of Snowpiercer sometime next year

Lovecraft Country

S 2 of Taboo

Edit: Carnival Row will be interesting since Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevigne are Hayden Christensen level bad actors.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

The latter has been in production for a while now. I might be wrong, but I think it’s the first tv or film adaptation of the book to have it set in either England or the time period it was originally written as.

All the others I can think of have been in a more modern setting and situated in America.

Enjoyed The Boys very much. Wish they did a bit more with Dark Noir. Actually, most of the other characters needed fleshing out a bit more I think, Deep, Kimiko etc... but that's where season 2 will come in I guess.

Thought the ending was a bit flat and abrupt, clearly leading into S2. Bit anti climactic and that's my overall criticism I suppose, from the first minute of the last episode it all felt like it was too obviously signposting towards season 2 rather than having a meaningful finale episode but it doesn't take away from a 9/10 series. 

• Like 1

I wonder where Mindhunter will go in coming series for its featured killers. John Wayne Gacy is seen in the list of prospective interviews and would fit in the timelines, as well as having been interviewed by the real life inspiration for the series at the time. Gacy killed over 30 boys and young men and then buried them under his house - he infamously claimed he 'only' killed 5 of them and the rest had been killed by his employees who had access to his house, leading to his quipping he was mostly guilty of running an unlicensed cemetery. Oh and he dressed up as a clown for charity events, but a very, very creepy one.

Richard Ramirez might fit as well, although I'm not sure if he was interviewed by Douglas. He was dubbed the Night Stalker, breaking into homes and brutally attacking whoever he found. He didn't really have a method, he just broke in and raged. He shot some victims, raped some, beat others, mutilated the bodies of a couple... He also claimed to be a Satanist and his police interviews descended into him giving pompous winding diatribes about his beliefs.

And Bundy is an obvious one. I think he was interviewed by Douglas and would make an interesting topic, because he basically constantly lied about what drove him, right to his execution.

In my child-like excitement about the upcoming Picard series, we've started a full TNG rewatch.

Just quite how terrible (not to mention horrifyingly racist in parts) it is/was has all but broken the nostalgic part of my brain.

Having gotten the true crime bug again after watching s2 of Mindhunter and rewatching Citizen X I'm now halfway through the 2 part mini series To Catch A Killer.

It's from way back in 92 with Brian Dennehey as John Wayne Gacy.

Haven't watched it in ages but it still holds up pretty well. Dennehey is great in the lead and overall it's not too shabby.

As it isn't a documentary it takes some artistic freedoms but I don't really mind.

3 hours long

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Nice, I didnt even realise they were doing one.  I assume 10.11.19 means the 11th October rather than 10th November?

I've lived here 20 years and I still have to think for a minute every time I see a date :D

• Like 1

Â