Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

So apparently the producers behind Carnival Row has taken the sensible option to rather than pretend that Orlando Bloom or Cara Delevigne can act they are having her show her boobies instead.

Probably the right call.

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Said it before but Snowfall is excellent.

I'm kinda liking it, but kinda not.

The main issue I have with it is that none of the characters feel believable to me. Not in the same way that programs such as The Wire portrayed their characters. There was a level of authenticity in The Wire that's completely absent in Snowfall but i'm not sure exactly what it is that makes it feel that way. I know comparing any series to The Wire is bit unfair, but it's the best example I can think of where the characters feel "real". 

• Like 1

Just now, PieFacE said:

I'm kinda liking it, but kinda not.

The main issue I have with it is that none of the characters feel believable to me. Not in the same way that programs such as The Wire portrayed their characters. There was a level of authenticity in The Wire that's completely absent in Snowfall but i'm not sure exactly what it is that makes it feel that way. I know comparing any series to The Wire is bit unfair, but it's the best example I can think of where the characters feel "real". 

Yeah I get what you mean actually.

Fully agree. 

Still think it's great thou

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it! Just something feels off. But it's still entertaining. 

Really shows that John Singleton was involved with it as it has more of a 90's hood movie feel to it that a The Wire or The Corner vibe.

The Corner btw might be something to checkout for those who hasn't seen it but like The Wire.

It's the mini series they made before The Wire. Only 6 eps.

It's pretty great. Might be a tad difficult to find thou.

The Corner Poster

Watched the rest of 13 reasons why, It got better than the first episode but was completely stupid & way too long. The first season 13x1 hour episodes felt quite long but it just about worked as it was all new and there was a big story to tell with each character getting an hour.  since then they are just making episodes an hour+ because they can.

If they had shaved season 3 (&2) down to about 8 hours with 13x40 minute episodes it would have been much, much better.

Won't bother with season 4 if/when it turns up

2 hours ago, sne said:

So apparently the producers behind Carnival Row has taken the sensible option to rather than pretend that Orlando Bloom or Cara Delevigne can act they are having her show her boobies instead.

Probably the right call.

What do you mean she can't act..

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

What do you mean she can't act..

I take It all back!

Fwiw I think she seem like a fun person who doesn't take herself too serious.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 11:10, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Another Life - Netflix

Sci-Fi series,  7/10 so far,  half way through.  really quite good,  it's actually getting better.  Effects are a bit cheap but loads happens.

Finished it,  6/10.

But,  parts of it are some of the oddest/funniest TV I have ever seen in terms of going from 1 thing to another.  Mental.

There is a bit that reminded me of the Caravan Disco in the inbetweeners but then its a bit 2001 Space Oddessy 2 mins later.

After initially turning my nose up at it, I watched the first episode of ‘Brassic’ on Sky the other night. 

It was surprisingly funny. 

Sky’s in house ‘comedies’ are normally pretty wank, but this one seems like it might have something about it. 

A bit obvious and stereotypical in parts, but a couple of proper LOL moments and some decent characters in it. 

41 minutes ago, sne said:

I take It all back!

Fwiw I think she seem like a fun person who doesn't take herself too serious.

I kinda like her, She wasn't bad in Valerian even if the film didn't turn out to be quite what i was hoping for and i liked her in Paper Towns. I don't think anyone whose feet look like this can be accused of taking themselves too seriously.

She's definitely not your usual cardboard cutout supermodel type.

BXSuHHM.jpg

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2

Orlando Bloom appear to be playing his role in Carnival Row as slightly leaned forward and out of breath for unknown reasons.

Jared Harris is also in it, would almost be cruel if they have any scenes together.

Not sure where it will go but you can tell they spent money on it, looks nice.

Edit: They are really going all in with the naughty bits and sexing stuff. (Ep 1 contains perhaps the most ridiculous sex scene of all times :D )

First ep of The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance was pretty OK, looks as it should from what I remember of the film, not seen it in ages.

Edited by sne

The Dark Crystal is on Netflix now. I watched the film first and then the first episode of the new series. The film, as I'm sure those of you have seen it know, is gorgeous and atmospheric but very slow and lacking in real story. The series though looks to be much more modern in terms of characters and story arc but keeps the fundamental aesthetic of the film intact. I think it's really very good indeed.

On 29/08/2019 at 23:19, theboyangel said:

Mindhunter season 2 was excellent, I didn't even mind the storyline surrounding the family of Bill Tench as it created tension between him, Holden and focusing on the job in Atlanta.

there has to be a season 3 - just hope it doesn't take as long to get produced! 

the BTK underlying plot is being teased out so well it must be progressed! 

Have you read the books ?

You could fit them in before 3 you see.  Excellent.  The profile creation and methods used are all sort of created around this time.  In the books they start creating them (Profiles) and then catching people and they match surprisingly close so they know they are onto something.  The organised / unorganized offender parts in Mind hunter are really important,  this pretty much splits it in terms of who to look for and the thing about them going back to crime sites or inserting themselves into the investigation was new then as well.  Super interesting. 

"Inserting themselves into the investigation was new then as well.",  this was especially relevant in a British case,  remember the guy who blackmailed the supermarkets with the baby food and glass.  He was an ex-old bill and was still drinking with his old Plod mates so he knew where the stakeouts were. 

I am super interested in all this as you can tell.

• Like 2

Trying to get into Carnival Row but the dialogue volume is either really low or they are mumbling a lot.

Have to crank the volume right up to hear wtf they are saying. Really annoying.

As mentioned before it seems like they are trying to sell the show using uncalled for nudity and pretty people. Which I guess is fine.

So far it's meh but not terrible.

Edit: And on a clothes related subject I wonder how the winged people put their coats on by themselves.

Must be a hassle to get the fairy wings through the back of the coats. 

Edit 2: If you are easily offended by the so called "leftist agenda" then this probably isn't for you because it pretty hamfisted, on the nose racism is bad, immigrants are good type story :D . 

I know that kinda stuff ruins the day for some people. Although I'm not sure why anyone would think racism is a good thing.

Edited by sne

17 hours ago, sne said:

Trying to get into Carnival Row but the dialogue volume is either really low or they are mumbling a lot.

Have to crank the volume right up to hear wtf they are saying. Really annoying.

So far it's meh but not terrible.

Edit: And on a clothes related subject I wonder how the winged people put their coats on by themselves.

Must be a hassle to get the fairy wings through the back of the coats. 

Agree that sound levels seem to be all over the place, seems fine 80% of the time but then awful in places. Also said exactly the same about the wings 😂 can't even put a hoodie on without getting my head stuck somewhere half the time nevermind trying to do it with wings.

Halfway through it so far, Feels quite similar to the Tom hardy taboo show, it looks nice & the story is ok but it's lacking something. Seems to be trying to do too much and not really achieving anything as a result

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

Dark Crystal Prequel Series is incredible so far. Its transported me right back to my childhood big time with the nostalgia and memories of watching the film. I seem to struggle these days emotionally with being transported back to my early childhood as it's a time I'll never get back yet everything was great but despite that I'll stick this through. 

Really quite an emotional story which I wasnt quite prepared for and the ending of the first episode hit me hard in that age old way that the elite see us working/benefit class as disposable scum.

They've really done the original film justice it seems, the voice cast is excellent, the feel and atmosphere is spot on. I hope the quality levels stay as high for the rest of the series as it has been from the start.

• Like 1

Â