Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I agree that it's unfair to compare other TV shows to Twin Peaks The Return, I kind of see that as more of an eighteen hour movie anyway, which is the way it was written and made, and it also had the advantage of being entirely directed by one of the most critically acclaimed movie directors of all time, and because of that he probably had a lot more freedom than a lot of other people making TV shows will have had. That said even before Twin Peaks season 3 aired I was already beginning to think that a lot of TV was overrated, doesn't mean to say it's all bad, just I don't think it's a golden age or anything like that, that came when shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men were airing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, useless said:

I don't think it's a golden age or anything like that, that came when shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men were airing.

I don't think there's a single long running show in at the moment that's as good as those (except for Mad Men, that was **** shite), but we're still in a great, great age for TV. 

I don't think we have a contender for best show ever currently airing, but there's far more high quality shows on than ever before. An awful lot of rubbish as well, of course, but there's never been such a volume of great shows available, even if none of them are the absolute best. What the hell else was worth watching for most of when The Wire and The Sopranos ran? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Unsure if I should watch the PBS series Country Music now or wait a little bit and watch it on BBC4. 

Watched half of it so far. Just over 16 hours for the whole thing so still a way to go yet. Each of the 8 episodes is around 2 hours long and deals with a decade or so.

It's ok is my ovelwhelming feeling, it feels like a very long Shiny happy people, hey come visit nashville introduction to country rather than anything explored in great depth and anything really controvertial/not fitting todays pc standards seems to be ignored/skirted around/wrapped up in cotton wool and you won't see a great deal on the historical connections between country & politics. It does seem to be focused really on everything & everyone you probably already know, If you have been to the country music hall of fame in Nashville it almost feels like you are watching a 5-10 minute clip telling you about each exhibit before a brief interview with people that all seem to say that they had no luck, were down to their last dollar and ready to give up before they found one song that people liked and suddenly they were the toast of nashville. If you have done any of the studio tours in memphis/nashville you get the same sort of stories

I'll watch the rest of it anyway but it all just seems a bit lightweight despite the lengthy runtime.

Watch it then go read this or somthing

1AkVNrd.jpg

Edited by LakotaDakota

First episode of American Horror Story season 9 was kinda promising-ish.

Pretty much a Friday the 13th and 80's slasher movies homage with some Richard Ramirez thrown in.

Every character is a stereotype as per the genre.

Haven't watched AHS since halfway into season 4 but I do like me some 80's slasher movies.

Another brilliant series of Peaky Blinders, my only complaint being that 6 episodes just isn’t enough. 

Sam Claflin was superb as Oswald Mosley. 

Cracking show, easily one of the best from the BBC in the past few years. 

Julia Roberts, Stephen Graham and Vicky McClure have all been linked with roles in S6. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bizzzle said:

Think Peaky Blinders has been dull as dishwater this season. Made it to episode 4 and gave up. Probably try and finish it tonight but not exactly dying to watch it 

You couldn’t be more wrong if you drove on the wrong side of the road,  then took a wrong turn, down the wrong road, on the wrong side of town, on your way to Wrongsville :P

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bizzzle said:

Think Peaky Blinders has been dull as dishwater this season. Made it to episode 4 and gave up. Probably try and finish it tonight but not exactly dying to watch it 

As per usual the storyline isn't great but it's not the main event. The directing, cinematography, production quality and score is what makes it. Some of the scenes are just magnificent. Episode 5 was great, especially the Arthur machine gun scene. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

As per usual the storyline isn't great but it's not the main event. The directing, cinematography, production quality and score is what makes it. Some of the scenes are just magnificent. Episode 5 was great, especially the Arthur machine gun scene. 

Yeh I agree the directing, cinematography and all the is great but I need more than that. I need a gripping story line and it just hasn't gripped me this season. I will finish watching it this week but the last two episodes better be good else I may not be back for season 6

3 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

I need a gripping story line and it just hasn't gripped me this season. 

Usually I would be the same but when it's only 6 episodes I think they can get away with it. I think this season's story has been better than some of the other seasons where it felt like they were making it up as they went along.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Usually I would be the same but when it's only 6 episodes I think they can get away with it. I think this season's story has been better than some of the other seasons where it felt like they were making it up as they went along.

I’ve just finished watching episode 5 which was actually pretty good so there is still hope

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

On my third attempt of the Wire and I've got further than ever before.

10 eps into season 1, I've always given up because it's so slow.

Only thing keeping my coming back is the phenomenal reputation.

I can see you dropping it in season 2 then, it slows to a snail's pace then :lol:

if you stick with it, by the end of the series you'll realize it is the GOAT. You'll feel like you knew the characters personally.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I can see you dropping it in season 2 then, it slows to a snail's pace then :lol:

if you stick with it, by the end of the series you'll realize it is the GOAT. You'll feel like you knew the characters personally.

sW22vPs.gif

You're kidding. I've been assured it gets better after 10 episodes.

Edited by Tomaszk

Just now, Tomaszk said:

sW22vPs.gif

You're kidding. I've been assured it gets bettered after 10 episodes.

I love season 2, but it's a huge change of pace from the first season. I was watching it with my brother a couple of months ago and he was getting frustrated with it. It really picks up in season 3 though and season 4 is just electrifying.

season 2 is underrated 

finished mindhunter, still think holden is a shit character this season but the main atlanta story arc was brilliant making it better than the 1st season but it means they got away with a lot of not particularly interesting other bits, also felt whilst tench's arc was good the way they shoe horned it in to the interviews and what was going on around him didn't always work

• Like 1

Â