General Chat

Stevo985

6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Forever was my understanding.  He's been gone a good year now.

As has Baselayers :detect:

He posted for one day not so long ago. And funnily enough, so did Baselayers, on exactly the same day.

:detect:

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He posted for one day not so long ago. And funnily enough, so did Baselayers, on exactly the same day.

:detect:

As ruses go, it was a cracker. 

12 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

6 years on and I really miss my Dad. Why today? Why now? No clue.

Ah mate. It's a strange thing isn't it? Some days are just better than others aren't they. As I've mentioned elsewhere on VT I lost my mum to cancer at the end of April this year, she was only 62 and it's been devastating. I'm on holiday at the moment (booked recently to have something to look forward to) and I broke down in tears yesterday just out of the blue. My wife lost her dad when she was 21, just before we met at uni (ten years ago now, we're both 31) and she's been a big help. She says she still misses her dad often, and some days those thoughts are just more common, I think it would be unusual not to have them in a way. Hang in there mate. One thing that keeps me going is knowing that mum would want me to be happy and to live my life to the fullest... It doesn't always help but sometimes it gives me a boost to keep going. Take it easy buddy.

• Like 4

_90355890_cmmlujgw8aaqivm.jpg

Beeb link

A police force has apologised after a sexual assault prevention leaflet titled R U Asking 4 It? was given to teenagers.

Avon and Somerset Police, which handed out the brochures at a safety workshop, was accused of "victim-blaming".

After an angry social media response from pupils at the north Bristol post-16 centre, the force admitted the leaflets were "inappropriate and out of date".

It said they have now been destroyed.

Writing on Twitter, Eloise Mainstone said: "We should be teaching people not to rape, not teaching us how to avoid it."

And Chloe Yelland wrote: "I'm ashamed that you have the audacity to 'Victim Blame' teenage girls with low cut tops..."

Police said the leaflets, which also contained information about vehicle crime and robberies, have been destroyed.

Chief Inspector Marie Wright said: "There are no excuses for rape. The victim is never to blame.

"Our stance couldn't be clearer and the students were right to challenge the incorrect message."

Writing on Twitter, Eloise Mainstone said: "We should be teaching people not to rape, not teaching us how to avoid it."

Bullshit, wind your neck in Eloise Mainstone.

The cover of the pamphlet is misguided and should never have gone out, but guess what, you're never going to just convince everyone that they probably ought not rape people. Of course the police should be advising people on how to avoid being the victims of crime, whether it's rape, burglary, or anything else. This was a particularly clumsy attempt at doing so, obviously.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2016 at 12:46, Stevo985 said:

Hey VT'ers!

I know everyone hates sponsorship requests, me included really!

But I'm not growing a moustache or giving up alcohol or anything piss easy like that. I'm doing the 3 Peaks Challenge at the end of July, a real challenge!

And, as a lot of you know, I lost my father to cancer back in March, so we're raising money for Cancer Research in his memory.

If any of you could spare a few quid then you should really donate to VT you cheap bastards! But if you do that and still have some cash left over, then it would be awesome if anyone could donate something to our cause.

Click me to donate

Cheers to @Shropshire Lad, @StefanAVFC and @ismail-villa who have all donated to the above cause.

Almost met our original target of £500 which means we're halfway to our new target of £1000!

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

Mate at work from Sierra Leone, his dad died a few years ago, his wife nearly died from cancer last year, his mom died just after Christmas. He'd just come to terms with all of that, gotten a new car, wife on the mend, both kids doing great etc... then found out his step dad & cousin had died two weeks ago unexpectedly. He went back to Sierra Leone straight away to help the family sort stuff out, been over there for over a week.

Due to fly back to the UK today but we just found out he was run over and killed waiting for the taxi to the airport. 44. Kids & Wife back in UK. After all his family have been through and how he has supported them, looked after them, been the Rock and spine for them with no medals, no celebration, no fanfare, no fuss. Gone.

Life is fragile guys, use it well.

Edited by Ingram85

5 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Mate at work from Sierra Leone, his dad died a few years ago, his wife nearly died from cancer last year, his mom died just after Christmas. He'd just come to terms with all of that, gotten a new car, wife on the mend, both kids doing great etc... then found out his step dad & cousin had died two weeks ago unexpectedly. He went back to Sierra Leone straight away to help the family sort stuff out, been over there for over a week.

Due to fly back to the UK today but we just found out he was run over and killed waiting for the taxi to the airport. 44. Kids & Wife back in UK. After all his family have been through and how he has supported them, looked after them, been the Rock and spine for them with no medals, no celebration, no fanfare, no fuss. Gone.

Life is fragile guys, use it well.

That's one of those stories that's scarcely believable.  Tragic.

On 05/07/2016 at 12:46, Stevo985 said:

Hey VT'ers!

I know everyone hates sponsorship requests, me included really!

But I'm not growing a moustache or giving up alcohol or anything piss easy like that. I'm doing the 3 Peaks Challenge at the end of July, a real challenge!

And, as a lot of you know, I lost my father to cancer back in March, so we're raising money for Cancer Research in his memory.

If any of you could spare a few quid then you should really donate to VT you cheap bastards! But if you do that and still have some cash left over, then it would be awesome if anyone could donate something to our cause.

Click me to donate

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Cheers to @Shropshire Lad, @StefanAVFC and @ismail-villa who have all donated to the above cause.

Almost met our original target of £500 which means we're halfway to our new target of £1000!

Any help greatly appreciated.

If "Xerxes" is anyone on here, then thankyou!!

Â