General Chat

Stevo985

3 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Cottage Farm Rangers I think it was. 

I can't mock to be honest. I played for Belgrave Bullets and then we became Belgrave Sports & Social.

Also, when I played for the Tamworth and Warwickshire district our kit was bright purple with a McDonalds sponsor so I was either playing for a team with a silly name or a team with a silly kit.

I remember beating Cottage Farm 13-0 playing for Wilnecote Wanderers under 10's.  Still my finest moment as a player.  I wasn't much of a player.

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I remember beating Cottage Farm 13-0 playing for Wilnecote Wanderers under 10's.  Still my finest moment as a player.  I wasn't much of a player.

Yeah, Cottage Farm were the whipping boys along with Hurley Kings, Drayton Manor, Amington Boys etc.

52 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Cottage Farm Rangers I think it was. 

I can't mock to be honest. I played for Belgrave Bullets and then we became Belgrave Sports & Social.

Wales and Swansea captain Ashley Williams played for Belgrave bullets back in the day.

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

We had 7 blaggers, in a group of 10. I know what we got penalised for, and it was the dogshit presentation that those guys did. The three of us did 90% of the work for the damned project, doing all the maths and designing and building a glider over a couple of months. These **** only had to prepare a 15-minute presentation and they left it till the last few days and it was garbage.

When I was at uni we did a group project.

But we were told that when we got our final mark, that would be the average for the group. it was then up to us to allocate the marks to the group as we pleased.

So if someone did **** all then they got a lower mark, and if someone did loads of work they got a higher mark. I think there was a max of 10 marks either way (so you couldn't give someone zero) but the only other rules were everyone had to agree, your average had to be the mark the professor gave you and you couldn't all have the same mark.

So in your situation, say you got 60% as a group. You could have decided that the three of you got 70% and the other 7 got lower scores (whatever averages out as 60%)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Wales and Swansea captain Ashley Williams played for Belgrave bullets back in the day.

I know. I played with him. He was 2 years older but we used to do pre seasons and training together.

His Dad actually scouted me for the District and for West Brom. That's how Ashley got ahead to be honest because at the time he was a very average, gangly central midfielder.

25 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I know. I played with him. He was 2 years older but we used to do pre seasons and training together.

His Dad actually scouted me for the District and for West Brom. That's how Ashley got ahead to be honest because at the time he was a very average, gangly central midfielder.

He must have been a very late developer as he was nothing special at school at all. Even in terms of local football, didn't stand out.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

He must have been a very late developer as he was nothing special at school at all. Even in terms of local football, didn't stand out.

Yeah, definitely. I think he must have always had the mental aspects of the sport and he has developed the physical aspects.

Without the leg up he got from his Dad I'm not sure he would be where he is today but that being said there are plenty of stories like that and he is obviously deserving of it now.

Best English centre half there is! 

• Like 2

Pokemon has got me thinking of the big fads that happened when I was growing up. Yo-yos were all the rage at one point. I remember break time at school just being a bunch of kinds playing with their yo-yos. They even brought in a professional yo-yo-er to teach us some tricks. Obviously Pokemon was a huge one, and I kind of liked the games but it was the cards that got me hooked. The only other big ones I recall were beanie babies, Tamagotchis and Beyblade.. I **** loved Beyblade.However, all this got me thinking of a very weird toy thing that popped up around the turn of the millennium, which was effectively a strange alien fetus thing that the marketing said would grow or something. I'm wrecking my head trying to remember what it was, but I just remember the horrid feel of it, and the stench. Anyone know of it or was this a horrible nightmare I had?

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

4 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Pokemon has got me thinking of the big fads that happened when I was growing up. Yo-yos were all the rage at one point. I remember break time at school just being a bunch of kinds playing with their yo-yos. They even brought in a professional yo-yo-er to teach us some tricks. Obviously Pokemon was a huge one, and I kind of liked the games but it was the cards that got me hooked. The only other big ones I recall were beanie babies, Tamagotchis and Beyblade.. I **** loved Beyblade.However, all this got me thinking of a very weird toy thing that popped up around the turn of the millennium, which was effectively a strange alien fetus thing that the marketing said would grow or something. I'm wrecking my head trying to remember what it was, but I just remember the horrid feel of it, and the stench. Anyone know of it or was this a horrible nightmare I had?

Biggest fad at my primary school were pogs. Never seen anything like it. 

At secondary school we had some sort of football trading card game, and then tamagotchis

Edit: oh yeah, and yo yos. That was also pretty insane.

Edited by Stevo985

As a child of the seventies it was all marbles, conkers and footy stickers.

And avoiding TV and radio celebrities of course.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

At my school the fads went;

Merlin Premier League Stickers - Swindon were in the Prem, Wednesday etc etc.

Diablo's - Those double conical things you make spin with 2 wooden sticks and some string, can throw them in the air and catch them again whilst spinning. - I never had one because I didn't see the appeal.

Yo-Yo's - loads of people had them, I didn't because I couldn't do the tricks and I couldn't be bothered to learn any.  Rock the cradle and walking the dog were about the only tricks anyone could do.

Pog's - My parents never actually bought me any, but I won some in a winner takes all game.  My girl cousin had loads.  Slammers were the gold mine.

Conker's were great in the autumn, I remember my dad making me a great one which won about 10 matches in a row :) , picked up from the trees around the Q.E. Hospital.

Quad's - roller skates. I think from about 10 - 13 I didn't wear trainers outside, just quads :)  Picked them up from the industrial units over the road from Merry Hill, went to a school playground to try them on, couldn't, threw a paddy, so my mom took them off me, banned me from wearing them for a month and left them in front of the fireplace in the living room.  I nearly died waiting to put them on.  :)  Oddly enough, they fitted like a glove the next time I tried them on.

Pokemon happened in my 3rd year at High School, I had/have an elder brother who told me they weren't cool, so I once stole a kids cards and flicked them all over the class room like you would in 52 card pick up.  I felt terrible afterwards because he got really annoyed. 

Edit; Tamagotchi's too, again, I never had one because I had a Mega Drive and thought they were crap.  My wife went to a 30th birthday party as a tamagotchi, looked great.  I went as Dr Alan Grant.

Edited by lapal_fan

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Pog's - My parents never actually bought me any, but I won some in a winner takes all game.  My girl cousin had loads.  Slammers were the gold mine.

Yep. I never bought a single Pog.

My mate gave me a slammer and 3 of his pogs and I won every other pog I had. And I had about 200.

Â