General Chat

Stevo985

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bit of a shitty day. Work was messy... not busy as such, just couldn't get into a groove. Then found out an ex colleague had passed away over the weekend. Lovely woman, she was 64. Retired a few years back, but is no age really. She used to do my paperwork for me. Then, got to New St station, and all trains to Lichfield cancelled. Took myself to a pub, had a nice pint then jumped in a taxi. **** messing about with buses. 

Hope tomorrow is better. 

I can almost guarantee tomorrow will be better mate, chin up ❤️ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bit of a shitty day. Work was messy... not busy as such, just couldn't get into a groove. Then found out an ex colleague had passed away over the weekend. Lovely woman, she was 64. Retired a few years back, but is no age really. She used to do my paperwork for me. Then, got to New St station, and all trains to Lichfield cancelled. Took myself to a pub, had a nice pint then jumped in a taxi. **** messing about with buses. 

Hope tomorrow is better. 

Rise again tomorrow sunshine, bring as much positivity to everyone else as possible can, it'll get paid back 10000 times over the next weeks. You got this Sir. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh look, an interesting thing has emerged

Birmingham city council accused of basing drastic cuts on ‘imagined’ data

Whistleblowers fear £760m equal pay liability bill could be hugely overstated, as IT problems leave finances in disarray

A £760m equal pay liability bill at Birmingham city council, which led it to effectively declare bankruptcy and make a swathe of drastic budget cuts, could be hugely overstated, councillors, researchers and whistleblowers have said.

Sources inside the Labour-led council said the local authority’s finances were in disarray as a result of a faulty IT system rollout and with no accurate accounts for the past two years there was no way of knowing exactly how the council’s budget stacked up.

There is growing unease that large budget cuts, asset sales and a 10% council tax increase have been made too hastily, before the council has fully got to grips with the current state of its finances.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/may/01/birmingham-city-council-accused-of-making-cuts-based-on-imagined-data

Edited by Lichfield Dean

50 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yes, this has been rumbling for a while now.

Would be just typical if they ripped the heart out of the city only to find things weren't anywhere near as bad as first thought.

Thing is, I don't understand why they need their own records for  calculation.  Surely they have X number of claimants who have come forwards?  Surely those claimants have to provide some kind of evidence of their employment and earning?  

43 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

'kin wallets again. It was my birthday last week and I got a staff present which was a wallet. Expensive by the looks of it and real leather...but, for the love of McGrath is massive. It's like the Seinfeld props department rejected it for being too big for the George sketch. I have to use it for a few days because I'm in Rome on a conference and the colleague who's with me was obviously the one who bought it. She commented twice about whether I like it. I don't have the heart to say that, when I get back home it's going in the back of the cupboard and I'll be going back to my mini card holder with perfect note section (no coin pouch, I'm not a complete gimp)

It actually hurts when I sit down. 

DHUTWU

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thing is, I don't understand why they need their own records for  calculation.  Surely they have X number of claimants who have come forwards?  Surely those claimants have to provide some kind of evidence of their employment and earning?  

The £760 million is what they are guessing they might pay out once everyone does come forward. They have no idea how many people that might be, nor how much each person might be entitled to.

6 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

That's not even the worst bit. The worst part is that no-one at BCC can actually say how much money came in last year, how much money was paid out last year, and how much money they currently have in their bank accounts.  Not even sure how this is possible, but that's where they currently are at.

Tilsley said: “It is so bad that if I was to ask our director of finance: ‘How much money have we got in the bank today?’ nobody would be able to tell me. We’ve lost complete control over the financial management.”

Edited by ender4

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

That's not even the worst bit.  The worst bit is that no-one at BCC can actually say how much money came in last year, how much money was paid out last year, and how much money they currently have in bank accounts.   Not even sure how this is possible, but that's where they currently are at.

Well that sounds like it's going absolutely swimmingly then!

Â