General Chat

Stevo985

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. I never bought a single Pog.

My mate gave me a slammer and 3 of his pogs and I won every other pog I had. And I had about 200.

way better than me!

I had about 20 or so :) 

Yeah we were before pogs.  For me it was Top Trumps and Panini sticker albums.  Also Garbage Pail Kids and the Gremlin (film) cards.  My collection of Top Trumps to this day are still somewhere in the attic (over 100 packs and some quite valuable (Horror 1 & 2 for example)).  I've a fully complete Panini Football '87 and a complete collection of Gremlin cards if anyone's interested :P 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

(Horror 1 & 2 for example)

**** hell.

I've been after those buggers for years but they're always too expensive :) Gave me original packs away to a school friend and never got them back :(

They are quite valuable now Bri - get them on eBay.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

**** hell.

I've been after those buggers for years but they're always too expensive :) Gave me original packs away to a school friend and never got them back :(

They are quite valuable now Bri - get them on eBay.

It's one of those 'I'll get around to it in about ... never' kind of long finger tasks.  Horror 1 are a lot more valuable for whatever reason from what I could see last time I checked.  It would take too much time to sell them all off individually and I wouldn't sell them as an entire collection because you get nothing like the value.  But yeah you're right.  Maybe just cherry pick the true collectibles and sell those ones.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's one of those 'I'll get around to it in about ... never' kind of long finger tasks.  Horror 1 are a lot more valuable for whatever reason from what I could see last time I checked.  It would take too much time to sell them all off individually and I wouldn't sell them as an entire collection because you get nothing like the value.  But yeah you're right.  Maybe just cherry pick the true collectibles and sell those ones.

Around £90 for both packs is the average from what i've seen.

Assuming it is these you have:

mmQIDLmazsKdqes2_Wc76XQ.jpg

• Like 1

From my era (1960s) there were loads, but the real cult collecting obsession was American Civil War bubblegum cards. In each pack you got a big piece of pink bubblegum, a fake 'Confederate' dollar bill (various denominations, the higher the face value the rarer the occurrence), and a card with a short account of a battle/skirmish/incident, illustrated on the reverse side. 

There were, iirc, 100 cards to collect (plus an index card). And there was a major playground black market in trading rarities (both cards and 'money'). 

They were controversial, too. Some shops claimed people were trying to pass the Confederate Dollars as legit US currency. And the cards were criticised for having crude, graphically violent illustrations of people being horribly killed and maimed (which indeed they did - it was why we liked them). 

45e727875c1fc5c7c52886e25394a84a.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

There was stuff you could collect for free in things if you were too poor LOL!! 

Tazo's in Walker's crisps.

d543644b79029395d0b738c9d2a7f284.jpg

And these euro 96 holograms in Kellogg's.

1996-Coco-Pops-Euro-96-Virtual-Videos-fr 

And these for France 98, given away with petrol at BP

b388e189d9b2c562d7f7d138b7c332cb.jpg

I can't believe how dated they all look.

• Like 2

We had a fairly niche collecting thing going on in my school.

We weren't allowed to play football to the point there were no footballs in the school. We got around this by inventing a game of football with essentially a hockey puck. The puck would be made of two discs from the tops of beer barrels. When beer is first delivered it has a plastic cap over the 'mouth' of the barrel. For some reason, these came in two very similar but different sizes (I'm guessing it was a metric / imperial thing back then) which meant one type would fit snuggly into the other. Making a puck, branded with two beers one each side.

Playing on a hard surface like a school yard bloody hell those things could travel fast if you kicked it sweet. Stung too, if you got one in the shin. Every once in a blue moon one would life and fly across the yard and smack someone in the head. 

So we had football, with danger, with collectibility.

You had to sneak in to pub yards after new deliveries and get them caps. Holidays were brilliant because you'd come home with an exotic. Devonshire Cider or London Pride. Then you were the man.

waterproof-keg-collar-225x300.jpg  tumblr_mth9ouLAxG1rwkyzko2_500.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

There was stuff you could collect for free in things if you were too poor LOL!! 

Tazo's in Walker's crisps.

d543644b79029395d0b738c9d2a7f284.jpg

And these euro 96 holograms in Kellogg's.

1996-Coco-Pops-Euro-96-Virtual-Videos-fr 

And these for France 98, given away with petrol at BP

b388e189d9b2c562d7f7d138b7c332cb.jpg

I can't believe how dated they all look.

I have all of the Euro 96 holograms, and all of the star wars tazo's in an Utterly Butterly tub in mom and dad's loft :)  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We weren't allowed to play football to the point there were no footballs in the school.

Jesus! No wonder you've only just gotten a decent national team #footballbantz

• Like 2

OMG Tazo's!!!

I actually collected the whole set and had it in the proper binder!

Also I remember GoGo's, has anyone mentioned them yet? I think they got banned because there was a serious gambling problem with them, they weren't exactly cheap and it wasn't uncommon to win or lose up to 10 in one battle (a battle was just sitting about 6 feet from someone else and having one gogo infront of you, first person to knock down the others won it.

Ah the memories...

26 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

OMG Tazo's!!!

I actually collected the whole set and had it in the proper binder!

Also I remember GoGo's, has anyone mentioned them yet? I think they got banned because there was a serious gambling problem with them, they weren't exactly cheap and it wasn't uncommon to win or lose up to 10 in one battle (a battle was just sitting about 6 feet from someone else and having one gogo infront of you, first person to knock down the others won it.

Ah the memories...

I did :D

I got in so many fights at school losing the damn things.

Edited by Ryan.

Â