The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Abyss (Avgrunden) was a solid enough 6-6.5/10 disaster movie. As far away from the Hollywood blockbusters as possible. Much more "realistic" and grounded in the style of the Norwegian ones like The Wave (Bölgen) or The Quake. 

Edit: It's a drama rather than an action movie.

the-abyss_m78RHjg.jpeg

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

On 14/02/2024 at 22:41, theboyangel said:

Extraordinary times, as I've had 2 cinema trips in 3 days.

First off was Argyle on Monday night. A much toned down version of The Kingsman to accommodate a younger (wider and more profitable) audience. 

It was a little bit hit and miss in places but overall an okay action/comedy. My biggest gripe was the latest Beatles song being repeatedly woven into the soundtrack... 

Tonight was The Iron Claw, which was well worth the watch.

I appreciate some rasslin'  aficionados will point out some factual errors in the film timeline but the story of the Von Erich curse was very well acted by the main seven actors and helped along with some terrifically bad haircuts and 80s outfits.

On 20/02/2024 at 18:30, Stevo985 said:

No wrestling knowledge needed. The story of the brothers and the Von Erich curse is fascinating. 

The film isn’t about wrestling. It’s about a family who happen to wrestle

On 20/02/2024 at 19:48, theboyangel said:

Yep. The Iron Claw is a fascinating watch with a very very good (and clearly committed) cast.

I have little to no interest or knowledge of wrestling but loved the film. 

Christ, ye could have warned me. 😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

image.jpeg.2dcc8d17942e1e91a5c31913afd3b395.jpeg

team, Australia, Russell Crowe and the lesser Hemsworth Brothers. Full blooded actioner very good. Genuine attachment to the lead players. Probably the best action film of the year, so far in both action and character, plus and development.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Watched the zone of interest tonight

a film about Auschwitz that barely shows Auschwitz other than in the background, instead the film focuses on Hoss and his family living in the nearby house .

You watch the family picking out dresses that have been taken from the deceased , talk about the garden whilst chimneys pour out smoke , the horrors going on inside are never mentioned .

its not a film you’ll want to watch a second time , but it’s a fascinating piece of work that lets your own mind piece together what ever your mind wants to piece together , definitely worth a watch

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

a film about Auschwitz that barely shows Auschwitz other than in the background, instead the film focuses on Hoss and his family living in the nearby house .

You watch the family picking out dresses that have been taken from the deceased , talk about the garden whilst chimneys pour out smoke , the horrors going on inside are never mentioned .

its not a film you’ll want to watch a second time , but it’s a fascinating piece of work that lets your own mind piece together what ever your mind wants to piece together , definitely worth a watch

Very much like his other direction on under the skin, a film you have to see but probably only stomach once, he’s good at this. This will sweep the Oscars in my opinion. if you have not watched under the skin definitely give a go, once you will know what I mean.

Any film that has Scarlett Johansson stark bollock  naked and that not been the most memorable part deserves applaud, even though the reason why is very, very disturbing. it sits in your mind forever.

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Very much like his other direction on under the skin, a film you have to see but probably only stomach once, he’s good at this. This will sweep the Oscars in my opinion. if you have not watched under the skin definitely give a go, once you will know what I mean.

Any film that has Scarlett Johansson stark bollock  naked and that not been the most memorable part deserves applaud, even though the reason why is very, very disturbing. it sits in your mind forever.

Hard to see past oppenheimer based on the rest of award season, I think it'll get film, director, actor and supporting actor 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Heard an interview with the composer/sound designer. It’s meant to be 2 movies. The visual is Hoss’s house and the second movie is all the sound you hear (apart from dialogue) emanating from the camp. Screams, chains clinking, burning etc. Unsettling for sure.

Sounds very interesting but dark.

• Like 1

Has anyone watched My Son with James McEvoy and Clair Foy?
What a load of absolute shite.

So many unanswered questions. So many plot lines just ending with no explanation.

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I watched this at the weekend.

I get what the film was and what it was showing us, but I have to admit I found it pretty dull. It is fascinating, I agree, but still the actual plot is dull.

I know that's kind of the point. As you say people going about their mundane every day lives with these horrors unfolding in the background that you only ever hear rather than see
But I was quite bored for a lot of it

Edited by Stevo985

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I watched this at the weekend.

I get what the film was and what it was showing us, but I have to admit I found it pretty dull. It is fascinating, I agree, but still the actual plot is dull.

I know that's kind of the point. As you say people going about their mundane every day lives with these horrors unfolding in the background that you only ever hear rather than see
But I was quite bored for a lot of it

Had you lost your phone? 😉

17 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Can you let me know the exact hrs/mins in the film where this scene is? Asking for a friend.

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

Can you let me know the exact hrs/mins in the film where this scene is? Asking for a friend.

first five minutes (apparently)  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bickster said:

Has anyone watched My Son with James McEvoy and Clair Foy?
What a load of absolute shite.

So many unanswered questions. So many plot lines just ending with no explanation.

Yes, thought it was complete tosh apart from the scenery

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

No.

They are frequently stylised around different genres (often using multiple genres in one movie), but I wouldn't say that they are comic book style in style tbh (maybe elements of Kill Bill?)

He does love a cool soundtrack though and let's face it, he does it very well.

Hmm, I’m no film buff so I’m way out of my depth here. What I’ve seen of his films I’d have said Pulp Fiction felt like it was comic style, I guess the clue’s in the title, lots of framed set pieces. I’d have said the comedy violence ending of Django was comic book, and you’ve already mentioned Kill Bill.

His music choice is ok. His relationship with it is a bit toxic. He gave an interview about it some time ago and went to great lengths to say he could only ever collect original, he wasn’t some clueless loser that was happy with re issues. There was much more than that, but he basically came over as a spectacularly uncool person, insulting to anyone that didn’t have the right taste or the resources to find original copies of stuff on his cool list. 

• Like 1

I thought I would give The Commitments a gander on IPLAYER. I remember going to the Odeon in New St to see it when it first came out, funny how some films that were so funny at the time, don't seem so funny now. Although, the part where Jimmy is doing auditions at his house and some group start singing with the lyrics, "Elvis was a Cajun, and he had a Cajun heart," to which Jimmy's, Elvis, loving Father, replies, "that's fecking blasphemy, Elvis was no fecking Cajun," for some reason, I always remembered that part, which is probably why it still made me laugh.

Nice to see old "Birdy Kinsella" in her younger years too.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

On 21/01/2024 at 20:30, Davkaus said:

I came back to read what other people have thought of Dune, because I started trying to watch it this afternoon and fell asleep in the first 20 minutes :blush:

Will have to give it another go when I'm more prepared fore the lore drop, but that opening is hard **** work.

Did you go back to it? This evening I put it on and turned off after 20 minutes as well. 

Will second Wicked Little Letters.

Watched it today, great fun. Cast all round are splendid. Some terrific lines l, not all of them swear, though a couple of eye poppingly sweary- strings at times. 

• Like 1

Â