The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

The first film that mesmerised my grandson was Toy Story 3, so there is a pattern there. My daughter it was American werewolf in London, I blamed my mother in law for that one.

Why, was you Mother in Law a werewolf? 

Hope she is alright nooooooooooooooooow

• Like 1

My 3 year old son loves all the Toy Storys, we’ve also just recently discovered ‘Onward’ on Disney+ which we enjoyed. Definitely from about 2 1/2 onwards I noticed that attention span to watch films improve. We also took YouTube off their iPads as they were increasingly watching junk!

4 minutes ago, sne said:

New Nic Cage horror movie.

Yeah also has Maika Monroe in it and is directed by Oz Perkins (son of Anthony) who's done a couple of good movies (loved Blackcoats Daughter).

Definitely up for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah also has Maika Monroe in it and is directed by Oz Perkins (son of Anthony) who's done a couple of good movies (loved Blackcoats Daughter).

Definitely up for that.

I like that they haven't shown the whole plot including spoilers in the trailer.

On 16/01/2024 at 13:53, Stevo985 said:

For the benefit of nobody, here are the movies I've watched so far this year and my ratings (out of a possible 5 stars)

Saltburn - 4
Train to Busan - 3.5
Do the Right Thing - 4
When Evil Lurks - 4
Toy Story 4 - 3
Society of the Snow - 4
The Holdovers - 4
Killers of the Flower Moon - 4.5
Monsters Inc - 3.5

Past Lives - 5
Finding Nemo - 4
Anatomy of a Fall - 4.5
Winnie the Pooh (2011) - 3
Yesterday - 2
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - 4.5

15 for January. Well on track for my 100 in a year

• Like 1

Just back from:

spacer.png

Easily the most emotional movie I've seen for a long time.

It takes the often used themes of loss, grief and isolation and avoids the clichés while constructing its brilliantly written and original story.

Andrew Scott and Paul Mescal are both on their A-Game and I'm not gonna lie this one got me right in the feels.

Superb stuff.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Just back from:

spacer.png

It takes the often used themes of loss, grief and isolation and avoids the clichés while constructing its brilliantly written and original story.

Andrew Scott and Paul Mescal are both on their A-Game and I'm not gonna lie this one got me right in the feels.

Superb stuff.

On my list. Looking forward to it. Paul Mescal will be making a habit of getting me in the feels

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Just back from:

spacer.png

Superb stuff.

I intend to watch this, not yet but when the time is right I will. It looks phenomenal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Just back from:

spacer.png

Superb stuff.

Got this booked for Sunday afternoon matineeeeeeee. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Been watching some of the Studio Ghibli films that I hadn't seen. Latest one was "When Marnie Was There".

Fantastic film but bloody hell, another punch to the gut 😪

• Like 1

On 21/01/2024 at 12:22, Stevo985 said:

MV5BOTkzYmMxNTItZDAxNC00NGM0LWIyODMtMWYz

really wonderful

5/5

watched this tonight based upon the positive posts about it that I read in here.

wtfwtaa?

I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen and guess what? nothing did!!!

0/5 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

spacer.png

I thought this was quite good.

Interesting storyline challenging ideas of family, you can flip flop a little on whether you think they are basically good, or broken. Quite a relaxed pace, no car chase sequences or cgi, so not for everyone.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Pwtrwnwswng gwt ;)

We’re watching a few more films lately, partner of one of the kids is doing a screen writing MA so when they’re here we tend to end up watching something.

My other half’s review of Shoplifters was ‘I kept on waiting, but nothing actually happened’.

In other news, we also watched and enjoyed:

spacer.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, imavillan said:

watched this tonight based upon the positive posts about it that I read in here.

wtfwtaa?

I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen and guess what? nothing did!!!

0/5 

Suppose we all have different requirements in films. What films have you rated highly over the last 12 months? 

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Suppose we all have different requirements in films. What films have you rated highly over the last 12 months? 

TBF, I don't watch many films at all and just pop in and out of this thread periodically to see if there's anything that's been posted that might take my fancy and be worth watching.

The last two films i've watched, Past Lives and It Snows in Benidorm have most definitely not been my type of film.

The films i've most recently watched prior to that have been catching up on the old Tarantino ones, which i've watched a few times over and still enjoy.

Saw Jonathan Glazer's new one The Zone of Interest and it was an ordeal. A great and horrifying film. Don't think I've ever been in a cinema so quiet with not a peep from anyone during the whole thing.

• Thanks 1

Â