The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Madame Web reviews out.

In a simply shocking turn of events, it's a stinker.

Just stop Sony. Venom was ok and the animated Spider-Man films excellent, but everything else is absolutely terrible, and the ideas are appalling. Give it up.

What hope is there for Kraven The Hunter? 

admittedly the trailer looks ok so I kind of hold a little hope it’s not going to be as bad as Snorbius, Venom Carnage etc etc 

12 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

What hope is there for Kraven The Hunter? 

admittedly the trailer looks ok so I kind of hold a little hope it’s not going to be as bad as Snorbius, Venom Carnage etc etc 

Kraven it's one of the few ideas they've had that could be ok. Helped by it casting pretty well. But it's going to be rubbish as well because they've changed a load of stuff for... reasons? Which will inevitably knacker it. It's probably not helped by bits of Kraven's story being quite stupid. 

Kraven it's a really underrated villain but there's no... great story in his origin, and there's no real need for there to be. 

The trailer didn't fill me with much hope. Especially when you had the villain 'mutate' into Rhino. Just... No no no. No.

Edited by Chindie
  • Thanks 1

Extraordinary times, as I've had 2 cinema trips in 3 days.

First off was Argyle on Monday night. A much toned down version of The Kingsman to accommodate a younger (wider and more profitable) audience. 

It was a little bit hit and miss in places but overall an okay action/comedy. My biggest gripe was the latest Beatles song being repeatedly woven into the soundtrack... 

Tonight was The Iron Claw, which was well worth the watch.

I appreciate some rasslin'  aficionados will point out some factual errors in the film timeline but the story of the Von Erich curse was very well acted by the main seven actors and helped along with some terrifically bad haircuts and 80s outfits.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

0590cec4-d64e-11e7-93d7-6d6fc14be448_972

Va Savoir +  (Jacques Rivette) - After finding love and success in Italy, French actress Camille returns to Paris, the city she fled three years ago. She secretly dreads confronting her ex-boyfriend Pierre. Her new lover Ugo also has a secret, as he’s meeting with the intriguing Dominique while on his quest for an unpublished manuscript.

MV5BNGUzY2M0MGQtMzBiOS00MWZlLTk0ZjktYWM3

Nightfall (Anocha Suwichakornpong) - The chronicles of a day in the life of a nameless woman as she wanders around Singapore

e63ea372efdb1db52f7376ed941dfec245847aa0

Rabbit's Moon (Kenneth Anger) - Pierrot waxes romantic, entranced by the moon. Harlequin appears and bullies him, then uses a magic lantern to project an image of Columbine

Great news for @bickster 👌

Sam Mendes to Direct Four Separate Beatles Movies on Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr

John, Paul, George and Ringo will each be the subject of a different upcoming feature film.

Director Sam Mendes plans to make four separate movies, one from each Beatles member’s point of view. They will intersect to “tell the astonishing story of the greatest band in history,” leading up to their 1970 breakup, according to a press release. Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and the families of the late John Lennon and George Harrison, have granted full life story and music rights for the scripted films.

“I’m honored to be telling the story of the greatest rock band of all time, and excited to challenge the notion of what constitutes a trip to the movies,” Mendes, the Oscar-nominated filmmaker of “American Beauty,” war drama “1917,” and James Bond films “Skyfall” and “Spectre,” said in a statement.

Sony Pictures Entertainment will finance and distribute all four films theatrically in 2027. Details about release plans will be shared closer to the release, but the studio promises the strategy will be “innovative and groundbreaking.”

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/beatles-movies-sam-mendes-directing-four-films-2027-release-1235916841/

51 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Worth seeing when I haven't a clue who these brothers are? Does it standalone?

I haven't seen this film yet* but the story of the Von Erichs is fascinating.

Not sure if you've ever been into wrestling in any capacity but perhaps the best known brother over here would have been Kerry Von Erich aka Texas Tornado in WWF.

*Is it only in cinemas at the mo?

2 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Worth seeing when I haven't a clue who these brothers are? Does it standalone?

No wrestling knowledge needed. The story of the brothers and the Von Erich curse is fascinating. 

The film isn’t about wrestling. It’s about a family who happen to wrestle

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

For those of you that enjoyed the Iron Claw, and want to hear a bit more about what happened to the family, there's a really good episode of Dark Side of The Ring on the von Erichs. I'll put the name of the episode in a spoiler for those that haven't seen it, as it will spoil the film  Google the name of the episode and you'll find the episode on Daily Motion fairly easily.

Spoiler

Episode 4 Season 1 - The Last of the Von Erichs. Trailer here ->

• Like 1

Picked up one of my favourites of the 80s 'Video Nasties' on Blu ray recently...

spacer.png

Not to be confused with the iconic 1957 Tourneur horror, this is schlocky, ott gory, ridiculous nonsense which is played totally straight by the cast (making it even funnier).

Utterly daft and I love it 😀 

• Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 11:53, villa4europe said:

The "humour" really isn't landing for me, especially the young girl 

Anything with Kevin Hart is

a) Guaranteed to not be funny at all

b) Renders it unwatchable for me.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2024 at 12:08, coda said:

Saw Jonathan Glazer's new one The Zone of Interest and it was an ordeal. A great and horrifying film. Don't think I've ever been in a cinema so quiet with not a peep from anyone during the whole thing.

This looks phenomenal so going to try to see it this weekend. 

• Like 1

On 20/02/2024 at 10:50, Stevo985 said:

the-iron-claw_kighsjcg_480x.progressive.

Saw this at the weekend. Really very good indeed

Just watched this. I didn't have a clue about the family before hand and won't say too much so as not to spoil it for others. Well worth watching though.

Thought Zac Efron was excellent in it and fair play to him bulking up. 

• Like 3

Â