The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Il Postino (The Postman)

An Italian film set on a Mediterranean island, where a famous South American poet is exciled for being a communist.

The plot is basically a twist on the play Cyrano de Bergerac (Roxanne).

A postman tries to persuade the guy to teach him how to write poetry so he can woo the local beauty.

Very funny, charming and touching.

As adaptations go, it's good but it's no Roxanne ;)

42 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I missed this bit.... :(

Focusing on something other than the dialogue were you? 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.b7cb53aa6c6c8511014e23a75f73e12e.jpeg

this looks promising, a prequel to the 1976 Omen. Shady goings on in Rome, paving the way for Damian to come into the world. Hopefully the person playing Father Brennan hams up the role with warnings of dread

• Like 1

That could be worse.

But the Crow is so perfectly of its time and so pointedly connected to that time with it's style and sound, that any attempt to redo it with new window dressing for a new time feels off, no matter what you do with it and no matter how well (or not) you do it.

• Like 2

Yeah that looks a bit too slick and stylish. The original looked more like a grainy Robert Smith fever dream. 

And I’m not a huge devotee of the original - I only saw it for the first time a couple of years ago. It’s enjoyable, I vaguely remember it being funnier than I thought it was - or maybe a bit more lighthearted in places? A few more wisecracks then I thought there would be.

Put about an hour in to napoleon last night (kw) before child related switching off 

It nails the epicness and scale, looks incredible, costume design set design cinematography all bang on... But it's a bit boring... Scott's bitten off more than he can chew, it's covering way too much ground and badly lacks focus, it's not really said or shown anything about what he was or why he was great I don't think he develops he just kind of is, people come and go and I'm not even sure if it's assumed knowledge or Scott just doesn't care about them or expect you to care about them, maybe the 2nd half goes in to one particular time period but everything I've seen so far looks great but goes nowhere 

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Put about an hour in to napoleon last night (kw) before child related switching off 

It nails the epicness and scale, looks incredible, costume design set design cinematography all bang on... But it's a bit boring... Scott's bitten off more than he can chew, it's covering way too much ground and badly lacks focus, it's not really said or shown anything about what he was or why he was great I don't think he develops he just kind of is, people come and go and I'm not even sure if it's assumed knowledge or Scott just doesn't care about them or expect you to care about them, maybe the 2nd half goes in to one particular time period but everything I've seen so far looks great but goes nowhere 

You’ve seen all you need to see. Possibly more than you needed to see. It’s just more of the same for another eleventysix hours.
It looked great and some of the set pieces were ok but the whole thing was lacking in so many aspects. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, choffer said:

You’ve seen all you need to see. Possibly more than you needed to see. It’s just more of the same for another eleventysix hours.
It looked great and some of the set pieces were ok but the whole thing was lacking in so many aspects. 

Im back on it

They showed a brief glimpse of it in the Austria battle but they've still not properly shown or explained the square, it's like they show him doing stuff but don't explain how or even like the true extent of the accomishment, it carries no weight, the whole thing is just a bit pointless, it says nothing 

Two films at the weekend, very different!

unnamed-25.jpg

Brilliant. Lanthimos is a **** genius, seriously.

I actually had no idea what the movie was about going in, so it was very different than what I expected. I knew it would be odd, given the director, but never expected to see so much of Emma Stone, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, can see why she got the Oscar. She was superb.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

This was last night's viewing. I mean I loved every cheesy 80's second of it. But it's really quite bad

All The Presidents Men. What can you say about this that hundreds haven't already? Masterfully directed by Pakula, brilliant performances by Hoffman and Redford and excellent supporting performances by so many name actors like Robards and Balsam and Warden.... truly brilliant 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This was last night's viewing. I mean I loved every cheesy 80's second of it. But it's really quite bad

Elisabeth Shue though :wub:

• Like 1

spacer.png

Really good fun.

Plenty of the usual Coen story, character and visual flourishes, and one of the funniest movies I've seen for a long time.

Recommended.

• Like 3

Â