The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

13 minutes ago, coda said:

Saw Jonathan Glazer's new one The Zone of Interest and it was an ordeal. A great and horrifying film. Don't think I've ever been in a cinema so quiet with not a peep from anyone during the whole thing.

That's gone on my list cheers. I like some of Glazers work and I still mention the beach scene in Under the Skin as one of most troubling things ever committed to film.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That's gone on my list cheers. I like some of Glazers work and I still mention the beach scene in Under the Skin as one of most troubling things ever committed to film.

Spoiler

Been trying to forget about that for years. It’s even worse when she comes back the poor little fella is still there as the sea moves ever closer And he’s no longer crying as if he is aware of his fate. 

3 hours ago, imavillan said:

TBF, I don't watch many films at all and just pop in and out of this thread periodically to see if there's anything that's been posted that might take my fancy and be worth watching.

The last two films i've watched, Past Lives and It Snows in Benidorm have most definitely not been my type of film.

The films i've most recently watched prior to that have been catching up on the old Tarantino ones, which i've watched a few times over and still enjoy.

Oh dear , snows in benidorm was bad on all fronts. Have you seen the joker? If you ain't give that a try, worth the effort. 

Edited by tinker
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tinker said:

Oh dear , snows in benidorm was bad on all fronts. Have you seen the joker? If you ain't give that a try, worth the effort. 

I've watched The Joker a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I only watched It Snows in Benidorm because it had Timothy Spall in it and whilst he was good, as you might expect, the film was not.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, imavillan said:

TBF, I don't watch many films at all and just pop in and out of this thread periodically to see if there's anything that's been posted that might take my fancy and be worth watching.

The last two films i've watched, Past Lives and It Snows in Benidorm have most definitely not been my type of film.

The films i've most recently watched prior to that have been catching up on the old Tarantino ones, which i've watched a few times over and still enjoy.

Are you aware of the rise of the footsoldier franchise?

10 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Are you aware of the rise of the footsoldier franchise?

never heard of them, just had to google it to see what it was about.

Is it any good? (i know that's subjective)

58 minutes ago, imavillan said:

never heard of them, just had to google it to see what it was about.

Is it any good? (i know that's subjective)

They are what I would call geezer films. Most of them are set around the Rettendon murders of 1995 and the characters involved. If you like the word,caaant, excessive drug taking and violence under view of the Essex nightlife scene in the 90s, they are very good value

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Scrawling through Netflix, I decided to watch a film from 2005 called The Squid and the Whale. It's about a failed marriage and how that affects the lives of the two sons. Slightly pretentious, imo. It has a young Jesse Eisenberg as the older son. I don't know why but I've always found him to be really annoying, regardless of the character he plays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Scrawling through Netflix, I decided to watch a film from 2005 called The Squid and the Whale. It's about a failed marriage and how that affects the lives of the two sons. Slightly pretentious, imo. It has a young Jesse Eisenberg as the older son. I don't know why but I've always found him to be really annoying, regardless of the character he plays.

I love that film. Must go back and watch it again. 
You are not alone in your feelings about Eisenberg. I mostly like the films he’s been in but I’m not sure he has all that much in terms of range. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, choffer said:

I love that film. Must go back and watch it again. 
You are not alone in your feelings about Eisenberg. I mostly like the films he’s been in but I’m not sure he has all that much in terms of range. 

He doesn’t have a lot of range but he was great in Social Network, Adventureland and The Double.

• Like 2

The Beekeeper 

Expectations were low before watching and for that reason I guess I wasn't disappointed. The story is utter bobbins but then what Jason Statham film isn't. 

Kinda fun if you take your brain out. 

5/10

• Like 1

On 04/02/2024 at 09:08, chrisp65 said:

We’re watching a few more films lately, partner of one of the kids is doing a screen writing MA so when they’re here we tend to end up watching something.

My other half’s review of Shoplifters was ‘I kept on waiting, but nothing actually happened’.

In other news, we also watched and enjoyed:

spacer.png

This was great. How Glenn Howerton hasn't been cast in a role like this before is beyond me. he was excellent

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Have two cinema trips lined up next week.

Argyle with my son 

The Iron Claw with the wife 

looking forward to both. 

Off to see the Iron Claw on Monday. Really looking forward to that one.

• Like 1

Pleasantly surprised by this one. Don't get me wrong, it's not a good movie. But I was expecting a turkey level 4/10 and this turned out to be a 5.5-6/10 (if you enjoy this type of Lovecraftian low budget b-movies). It had tons of John Carpenter nods and while not great it both looked better and was better acted than I thought it would be. Low bar but still.

GFxnZg7bkAA6LZ4?format=jpg&name=large

Would be great if someone had the vision, bravery and money to make an actual serious Lovecraft horror movie (without the racism) with all the existential dread, terror and atmosphere that it could have. Here's hoping the new Dagon movie even happens and is any good.

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

Madame Web reviews out.

In a simply shocking turn of events, it's a stinker.

Just stop Sony. Venom was ok and the animated Spider-Man films excellent, but everything else is absolutely terrible, and the ideas are appalling. Give it up.

Â