The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Huge Nolan fan. Interstellar and Prestige probably top 10 for me.

Tenet is one of the worst films I've ever seen, absolutely completely unwatchable, un-understanble and you can't hear a **** word.

Yep. I wouldn’t say worst film I’ve ever seen, as I enjoyed a lot of it. 

But I almost enjoyed parts as standalone set pieces with no context. Because I didn’t have a **** clue what was going on. So overly complicated that it meant any hope of understanding the plot was lost. 

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it but I remember saying to my other half after it finished “I couldn’t tell you why the bad guy was the bad guy in that. I’ve no idea what his motivation was or what he was trying to achieve”

Its an incredibly cinematic and well made mess

Poor Things was a visual treat (not just those scenes involving Emma Stone) and a bonkers tale to watch.

Enjoyable, thought provoking but a completely weird and sometimes awkward watch.

Brilliant stuff. 

• Like 1

A decent little budget 'horror' for fans of Stranger Things, in terms of 80s nostalgia, teen led cast and a great Synth soundtrack by the brilliant, Le Matos.MV5BMTJhMmQyZDAtZTg3Mi00NzQwLWJkZWEtNzE5

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 1

Just back from watching:

spacer.png

Beautiful movie.

Definitely deserves all the plaudits it's been receiving. Brilliantly written and acted with Giamatti giving another superb performance (up there with Sideways and American Splendour).

Definitely recommended.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Fixed?

Fixed. Thank you. It's an odd film in that the clips I've seen look good, and I really like Paul Giamatti, but I think it's been quite poorly marketed - although I guess that's quite difficult for a film that doesn't have the obvious big window impacts of Barbie dolls and Nuclear war. I might seek it out on your recommendation.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2024 at 13:49, Designer1 said:

Looking through my Blu rays last night and decided on a prison based double bill.

First up was

spacer.png

Cell 211 - Spanish/French production from 2009. Very good indeed, an incredibly tense and well acted story about a prison guard on his first day getting caught up in a riot and mistaken for an inmate. Brutal, bleak and brilliant.

If the names of the actors weren't listed I would swear blind that that's Colin Farrell. 

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Just back from watching:

spacer.png

Beautiful movie.

Definitely deserves all the plaudits it's been receiving. Brilliantly written and acted with Giamatti giving another superb performance (up there with Sideways and American Splendour).

Definitely recommended.

A very nice film, they should have/could have pushed it out in time for Christmas over here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Just back from watching:

spacer.png

Beautiful movie.

Definitely recommended.

Big fan of Giamatti and Payne. Will be seeing this. Funnily enough this is the second, independent mention of this being a great film I've seen tonight, which is weird for a film released last year? Or is it only just out now over here?

• Like 1

Just back from watching:

spacer.png

Beautiful movie.

Definitely recommended.

Enjoyed this a lot when I watched it. As you say, Giamatti is excellent in it. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Big fan of Giamatti and Payne. Will be seeing this. Funnily enough this is the second, independent mention of this being a great film I've seen tonight, which is weird for a film released last year? Or is it only just out now over here?

Yeah, out in the UK this week. Out for a few months in the US.

Yeah, out in the UK this week. Out for a few months in the US.

They released it on Peacock which is a streaming service over here along with a few small theaters. They didn't really market it here either, but it's a fabulous movie. It's a movie from another era and has the pace of something akin to Kramer vs Kramer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Ah, makes sense, thanks.

I watched Wish at the weekend, the latest Disney offering. When my grandson was born, I thought excellent, a continuation of watching Disney films from my daughter. No, if its not a roblox creator on Youtube he isnt that interested and so when a new Disney or similar comes out I watch it with my wife and not my grandson. Wish was pretty good, a little different but it worked. Songs were ok, not classics, but not awful and on the whole I thought it was a solid offering. Some good Disney easter eggs in it as well.

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I watched Wish at the weekend, the latest Disney offering. When my grandson was born, I thought excellent, a continuation of watching Disney films from my daughter. No, if its not a roblox creator on Youtube he isnt that interested and so when a new Disney or similar comes out I watch it with my wife and not my grandson. Wish was pretty good, a little different but it worked. Songs were ok, not classics, but not awful and on the whole I thought it was a solid offering. Some good Disney easter eggs in it as well.

I watched Toy Story with my 2 year old a couple of weeks ago. It was the first movie he actually watched. He was mesmerised and couldn't stop talking (babbling) about it after. 

Made me very happy and I was looking forward to watching a load of disney movies with him

But he hasn't shown much interest in any movie since. I've put them on and he's dipped in and out. But Toy Story was the only one he genuinely seemed like he enjoyed.

LIke yours, youtube seems to be the big winner, even at his age

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I watched Toy Story with my 2 year old a couple of weeks ago. It was the first movie he actually watched. He was mesmerised and couldn't stop talking (babbling) about it after. 

Made me very happy and I was looking forward to watching a load of disney movies with him

But he hasn't shown much interest in any movie since. I've put them on and he's dipped in and out. But Toy Story was the only one he genuinely seemed like he enjoyed.

LIke yours, youtube seems to be the big winner, even at his age

The first film that mesmerised my grandson was Toy Story 3, so there is a pattern there. My daughter it was American werewolf in London, I blamed my mother in law for that one.

• Haha 1

Â