The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm a big fan of Fassbender. 

So is my missus. He is filming in her street next week and they’ve asked if they can use her apartment. I’ve had to change my plans to keep an eye on her. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Fassbender had a kid in 21 so took time off

The xmen films died a death despite his and mcavoys best efforts, next goal winning was a misstep, I'd say he still likes smaller indie films so he's not the mega star that he could easily be with those chops

I feel like he needs a real good high production TV show 

I still remember seeing Fassbender for the first time in Eden Lake and thinking this guy could be next big thing. 

It feels like he’s an A list actor but his CV is patchy at best over the years, he’s done some absolute dross amongst some of his better stuff.

• Like 1

Shame is still Fassbender's best role - he was utterly immense in that.

Very good in Hunger too.

As @AVFCDAN says though, for such a good actor he's been in some utter rusbbish down the years (The Snowman, Assassins Creed, The Counsellor etc etc).

Saw Challengers on Sunday. Can't understand why it's got such good reviews and high scores. Zendaya was excellent but some of the scenes were so hackneyed, there were guffaws from the audience.

It was another of those films where the trailer makes it out to be one thing but the film turned out to be something else altogether. 

Wonder if it will be a CGI "comedy" mess like the Hobbit movies or a Weta Workshop LOTR style movie? Here's hoping for the latter.

The Hunt for Gollum: Peter Jackson and Andy Serkis to work on new Lord of the Rings film

Peter Jackson and Andy Serkis are working on a new Lord of the Rings film due to release in 2026, it has been announced.

In a statement, Warner Bros said that the first of a new set of Lord of the Rings films, The Hunt for Gollum, will be directed by and star Serkis, and be produced by Jackson.

David Zaslav, CEO of Warner Bros Discovery, had earlier told a conference call with investors that the film is “now in the early stages of script development” and that Jackson, along with writing partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, “will be involved every step of the way”. The film, he said, would “explore storylines yet to be told”.

Zaslav added: “Lord of the Rings is one of the most successful and revered franchises in history and presents a significant opportunity for theatrical business.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/may/09/peter-jackson-andy-serkis-new-lord-of-the-rings-film-hunt-for-gollum

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sne said:

Wonder if it will be a CGI "comedy" mess like the Hobbit movies or a Weta Workshop LOTR style movie? Here's hoping for the latter.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/may/09/peter-jackson-andy-serkis-new-lord-of-the-rings-film-hunt-for-gollum

The Hobbit movies are a strange one for me. I went to the cinema to watch all three (in 3D) and remember thinking they were decent Popcorn movies, although nowhere near the level of Jacksons OG trilogy.

I then rewatched the first one on Blu ray a few years ago and **** me, it was utter, utter bobbins. I genuinely have no idea how I liked it at all, because not even watching it on a big screen could have caused such an enjoyment discrepancy. Absolute night and day.

Films eh? 😐

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

The Hobbit movies are a strange one for me. I went to the cinema to watch all three (in 3D) and remember thinking they were decent Popcorn movies, although nowhere the level of Jacksons OG trilogy.

I then rewatched the first one on Blu ray a few years ago and **** me, it was utter, utter bobbins. I genuinely have no idea how I liked it at all, because not even watching it on a big screen could have caused such an enjoyment discrepancy. Absolute night and day.

Films eh? 😐

I watched the first one in the cinema but only watched the other ones on DVD/Blueray/download and didn't like any of them. The first one I still had hope and was willing to ignore the CGI heavy "I failed physics" parts as a maybe it's just a moment of madness. The Gollum scene is good for example. Just kept leaning on the bad stuff sadly.

I've watched a 3h or so fan edit of the 3 movies that kinda makes it into an OK movie once they cut out all the nonsense. But it's still a world away from the LOTR movies.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

I watched the first one in the cinema but only watched the other ones on DVD/Blueray/download and didn't like any of them. The first one I still had hope and was willing to ignore the CGI heavy "I failed physics" parts as a maybe it's just a moment of madness. The Gollum scene is good for example. Just kept leaning on the bad stuff sadly.

I've watched a 3h or so fan edit of the 3 movies that kinda makes it into an OK movie once they cut out all the nonsense. But it's still a world away from the LOTR movies.

I would have loved to have seen what the Del Toro version would have been like :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, sne said:

i watched them all at the cinema and im not sure why, the CGI for them felt lazier than the LOTR films, especially the big battle scenes, you could see the repetition on the software, I seem to remember a really bad troll scene where they'd animated 1 of them and then copied and pasted it 5 times

all that said i also came out of the cinema after RotK thinking it was really poor, that film is saved by the extended edition 

The Hobbit movies are odd. They're a bit of a fools errand, they want to do the Hobbit story, which is a kids bedtime story, whilst also keeping it tied to the Lord of the Rings story (which isn't a bedtime story for children) in style, and while padding it out to get the run time up and emphasise it's being a prequel more than the original story does. 

It's also obvious Jackson wasn't interested in doing the job, if you watch the behind the scenes stuff he's obviously miserable and knowing the story behind the making you can see why - he never wanted to do it and only did so to rescue the project, so there's no joy in making it and you can tell. And then the cynicism of it comes out even more - the padding, the pumping to get a trilogy, you can taste it when you watch. It even comes out in the production standards, the most obvious example being the decision to ditch a lot of orc makeup in favour of tonnes of CGI that isn't quite there (Weta are probably the best in the business at the time they make the Hobbit, and as a result the CGI isn't objectively bad, but they got something wrong with the aesthetic and it ends up looking more pointedly fake than it really should do. They also aren't helped by the design of a number of things, a lot of stuff just looks worse in design than what they were doing in LotR).

There's still a lot of good stuff. But wow should it have been better.

As for whatever this is...

No. 

No. 

No. 

Leave it alone. There's not a story that needs to be told about Gollum post Hobbit. 

Too little butter over too much bread.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Chindie said:

No. 

No. 

No. 

Leave it alone. There's not a story that needs to be told about Gollum post Hobbit. 

I'm guessing they will be about Aragorn (and Gandalf?) chasing and capturing Gollum and there story around that. Zero interest from me thou.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

No. 

No. 

No. 

3 hours ago, sne said:

I'm guessing they will be about Aragorn (and Gandalf?) chasing and capturing Gollum and there story around that. Zero interest from me thou.

There's already a (half decent) fan made short film (38 mins) about Aragorn hunting for Gollum that was released in 2009.

Been watched millions of times online already but it's being actively purged from the Internet now that this film is coming out.

They have exactly the same name and the plot will be identical but probably stretched over 3 times the runtime.

• Like 1

MV5BMTY1ZGVkYjQtM2E1OC00MGY3LTkwMjAtZTdj

Three Crowns Of The Sailor (Raul Ruiz) - Another good film from Raul Ruiz

eve-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg?v=

The Eve of Ivan Kupalo ( Yurii Illienko ) - Very creative film, liked it

The book series by Richard Osman, “The Thursday Murder club” is being turned into a film. Helen Mirren (I’m guessing Elizabeth), Ben Kingsley (again guessing Ibrahim) and Pierce Brosnan (confirmed as Ron). Personally think Brosnan is the wrong choice not how I imagined Ron at all. If anything Ray Winston would have fitted more. 

15 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

The book series by Richard Osman, “The Thursday Murder club” is being turned into a film. Helen Mirren (I’m guessing Elizabeth), Ben Kingsley (again guessing Ibrahim) and Pierce Brosnan (confirmed as Ron). Personally think Brosnan is the wrong choice not how I imagined Ron at all. If anything Ray Winston would have fitted more. 

I’m glad it hasn’t gone to Winstone to be honest. 

"I'll do the fingering" killed Fassbender stone dead for me, haven't been able to take him seriously ever since.

Ridley Scott has a lot to answer for.

51 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I’m glad it hasn’t gone to Winstone to be honest. 

I agree (just thought he’d be more suited), but Brosnan baffles me he’s too good looking for Ron 

• Like 1

Â