The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 27/02/2024 at 20:46, sheepyvillian said:

I thought I would give The Commitments a gander on IPLAYER. I remember going to the Odeon in New St to see it when it first came out, funny how some films that were so funny at the time, don't seem so funny now. Although, the part where Jimmy is doing auditions at his house and some group start singing with the lyrics, "Elvis was a Cajun, and he had a Cajun heart," to which Jimmy's, Elvis, loving Father, replies, "that's fecking blasphemy, Elvis was no fecking Cajun," for some reason, I always remembered that part, which is probably why it still made me laugh.

Nice to see old "Birdy Kinsella" in her younger years too.

Cracking film.

• Like 1

I just watched Green Book for the first time. Although I get the criticism about the "white saviour theme," there's still no getting away from the tremendous performance by Mahersharla Ali.

• Like 2

Film number 24 of the year last night.

20231019-120336910.png&w=3840&q=75

3/5

It's undoubtedly a good film, but I didn't really connect with it. Which is understandable, I don't think it's a film FOR me
Great performance from Jeffrey Wright though and some laugh out loud moments

I picked this up on Blu ray recently as I was hankering for a rewatch:

spacer.png

It was as brilliant as I remembered it being, and yet another example of the genius of Bong Joon-Ho.

If you like a bit of Asian cinema and haven't seen it then I can't recommend it enough 👍

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Interesting going back to the first dozen or so pages of this thread (when it was still titled 'Recommend me a movie')

We've always had pretty good taste in movies on this site 😎

Edited by Designer1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Interesting going back to the first dozen or so pages of this thread (when it was still titled 'Recommend me a movie')

We've always had pretty good taste in movies on this site 😎

even me ? 😆

Edited by Follyfoot

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

even me ? 😆

There's always the odd exception :trollface:

Edited by Designer1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

even me ? 😆

This reminds me, the premiere of Jason Statham’s The Beekeeper is on Sky movies today. 

expecting lots of growled bee puns, an outlandish plot and lots of ass-kicking! 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

This reminds me, the premiere of Jason Statham’s The Beekeeper is on Sky movies today. 

expecting lots of growled bee puns, an outlandish plot and lots of ass-kicking! 

Oh yes, yes yes yes

Highly enjoyable nonsense

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Just finished this

82446E18-A7F8-48D0-9BEA-2FA0347B1BBC.jpg

can honestly say it’s one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. 
I mean I know it wasn’t meant to be very good, but it was far worse than I expected. 

The plot is nonsense, the performances are flat, the script is **** awful. It doesn’t even look good, which is at least the saving grace of the original sequels. It looks cheap, with dodgy CGI and absolutely none of the atmosphere of the originals. 

Honestly an abomination of a film

-1000/5

• Like 2

I'm a somewhat subscriber to the notion it was almost intentionally made so as a protest/two fingers up from Wachowski to the studio threatening to do a film with or without them.

Doesn't make it good or right (or even watchable) but the story's not exactly subtle in it's indictment of modern Hollywood.

Personally I just keep on treating the series as if they never got past film 1 anyway. Maybe throw chunks of the Animatrix in there too.

• Like 1

Couldn’t tell you a thing about what happens in the sequels, other than I think there’s meant to be a relatively long car chase scene or something akin to that in the second one. Vaguely recall at the time reviews were referencing it as the big set piece of the film. I kinda felt the story was essentially done at the end of the first one. 

It was only recently that I discovered that Hugo Weaving wasn’t in the new one, which, along with the at best luke warm reception, doesn’t exactly encourage me to watch it.

12 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Couldn’t tell you a thing about what happens in the sequels, other than I think there’s meant to be a relatively long car chase scene or something akin to that in the second one. Vaguely recall at the time reviews were referencing it as the big set piece of the film. I kinda felt the story was essentially done at the end of the first one. 

It was only recently that I discovered that Hugo Weaving wasn’t in the new one, which, along with the at best luke warm reception, doesn’t exactly encourage me to watch it.

His character is sort of in it. Inexplicably played by Dennis Reynolds (not really). Well I think there is some token explanation, but it's nonsense.

As is Morpheus. Again with some half arsed explanation as to why it's him and not Laurence Fishburne.

It's honestly absolutely awful

• Like 1

Watched Poor Things over the weekend.... Looked weird, interesting, cinematic. But was very uncomfortable throughout.

Spoiler

It's a story about a child (in an adult body) f##king around Europe. Gave me the creeps.

Wouldn't be surprised if some Gary Glitter types were involved producing it. Just felt weird/wrong.

Edited by jimmygreaves

No huge surprises at the Oscars. Emma Stone winning over Lily Gladstone seems to be the biggest upset, but even that was fairly well predicted I think

On 29/01/2024 at 22:29, Stevo985 said:

Giamatti is excellent in the holdovers  but it’ll be Davine Joy Randolph who takes home an acting Oscar for that movie. 

Called it

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Watched Poor Things over the weekend.... Looked weird, interesting, cinematic. But was very uncomfortable throughout.

Hide contents

It's a story about a child (in an adult body) f##king around Europe. Gave me the creeps.

Wouldn't be surprised if some Gary Glitter types were involved producing it. Just felt weird/wrong.

Re your spoiler...

Spoiler

Iirc, in the book its explained that Bellas brain matures faster than a normal person and so by the time she has sex she has the mind of an adult.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Re your spoiler...

Hide contents

Iirc, in the book its explained that Bellas brain matures faster than a normal person and so by the time she has sex she has the mind of an adult.

And is also explained in the film.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

And is also explained in the film.

Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was but I know the book mentions it 👍

Il Postino (The Postman)

An Italian film set on a Mediterranean island, where a famous South American poet is exciled for being a communist.

The plot is basically a twist on the play Cyrano de Bergerac (Roxanne).

A postman tries to persuade the guy to teach him how to write poetry so he can woo the local beauty.

Very funny, charming and touching.

• Like 1

Â