The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, unsurprisingly, has reviewed like a ghost turd.

Yep, seems its not a patch on Afterlife which I really enjoyed.

Still going to see it at the weekend though 🙂

38 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yep, seems its not a patch on Afterlife which I really enjoyed.

Still going to see it at the weekend though 🙂

It seems it's been **** over by Sony's desperation to have their own juggernaut franchise. I can't say I'm shocked though as from the first trailer it looked like something they'd smeared the Ghostbusters 'skin' over, and Sony are dreadful for trying to make everything they have blockbuster wise into the next MCU.

It is a shame though as I agree, Afterlife was good fun and managed to walk the line between fan service and cynicism very well.

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Don’t quite understand why Ridley has had to abandon his trilogy to be a producer for what’s almost certainly going to be an inferior film leaving loads of loose ends from Prometheus and Covenant.

5 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Don’t quite understand why Ridley has had to abandon his trilogy to be a producer for what’s almost certainly going to be an inferior film leaving loads of loose ends from Prometheus and Covenant.

I really didn't like Prometheus or Covenant so I don't mind them bailing on that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Straggler said:

There are so many reasons Dune shouldn't work

And one big reason it does - Villeneuve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sne said:

I dont know why they won't revisit aliens, they can't recapture the horror of the original alien so everything is inferior 

Just give me a squad of marines with a lot of guns vs a lot of aliens, stop this overly tense super clever philosophical nonsense that's ultimately boring shite 

Let's rock

For some reason the only way they'll do an alien action film is when it's AvP 

Edit - also no offence to him but who the **** is fede alvarez? That pissed me off before the trailer even got started 

Edited by villa4europe

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I dont know why they won't revisit aliens, they can't recapture the horror of the original alien so everything is inferior 

Just give me a squad of marines with a lot of guns vs a lot of aliens, stop this overly tense super clever philosophical nonsense that's ultimately boring shite 

Let's rock

Edit - also no offence to him but who the **** is fede alvarez? That pissed me off before the trailer even got started 

I agree with somewhat about the Alien franchise - I really think Ridley Scott screwed the pooch with this convoluted and dreary Prometheus and the other one… so bring back the Space Marines and go for it! 

Fede Alvarez, in his defence wrote and directed Don’t Breathe - a really decent low budget home invasion film. 

well worth checking out!

Other than that he did a remake of The Evil Dead and involved in the From Dusk Till Dawn series (haven’t watched either) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Let's rock

In the wrong hands this is always going to be awful. However Don't Breathe was pretty good, and Alvarez doesn't need to stray too far from that to make a good Alien movie. I prefer the first Alien to James Cameron's sequel because of the atmosphere, which Don't Breathe has in places. I'm hopeful (Not trying to start a debate on alien Vs aliens, both are great films).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sne said:

I really didn't like Prometheus or Covenant so I don't mind them bailing on that.

Interestingly I hated both first time around  , but a second or even third viewing does seem to have improved them both for me 

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Interestingly I hated both first time around  , but a second or even third viewing does seem to have improved them both for me 

I'm the exact opposite. Though Prometheus was pretty good directly after watching it. Then we started talking about it and it just fell apart. Seen it on the really after and I think it's quite bad. Covenant I never liked. 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Why did you watch it again if you hated it?

Just now, Rds1983 said:

Why did you watch it again if you hated it?

after seeing the film originally , I'd read some fan theories / explanations on the web , so I wanted the second viewing  to see if it kinda  helped it all make sense  .. and also partly as it was on the telly and I couldn't be bothered to change channels / find something else to watch  .. (similar to when Starship Troopers is on for the 623rd time but I still end up watching it again anyway )

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

after seeing the film originally , I'd read some fan theories / explanations on the web , so I wanted the second viewing  to see if it kinda  helped it all make sense  .. and also partly as it was on the telly and I couldn't be bothered to change channels / find something else to watch  .. (similar to when Starship Troopers is on for the 623rd time but I still end up watching it again anyway )

I think Prometheus specifically is a lot deeper than the surface level, it’s a fascinating film to me. I think Ridley’s only mistake was tying Prometheus to the alien world, it probably would have worked better as its own standalone film. Covenant was his attempt to bring back in more traditional Alien action which probably didn’t satisfy either side enough, still an enjoyable film for me though.

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

Both high on my list @BOF

Particularly looking forward to Late Night with the Devil. Love a bit of David Dastmalchian.

In a violent nature currently 93% on RT. Very high for a horror.

• Like 1

Â