Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brighton were always going to drop off this season after losing so many key players. You can only keep finding gems to replace the big players sold for so long. 

Credit to them for still having an ok season but it’s a game we should be looking at for 3 points regardless of the situation.

Since we battered them 6-1, they've only won 6 games out of a possible 27.  Yet somehow, De Zerbi keeps getting linked to top jobs.

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m very confident we will win on Saturday. 

Same, but if we don't it's not the end of the world.  Spurs have no plan B so will play their high intensity attacking football against Arsenal, I can see Arsenal carving them open.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Same, but if we don't it's not the end of the world.  Spurs have no plan B so will play their high intensity attacking football against Arsenal, I can see Arsenal carving them open.

Sort of but you can guarantee they will get those 6pts from the Burnley and Sheff Utd games and make up the goal difference too so we really do need to get more points on the board before we run out of games to do so. 

50 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Sort of but you can guarantee they will get those 6pts from the Burnley and Sheff Utd games and make up the goal difference too so we really do need to get more points on the board before we run out of games to do so. 

Every point from now on is points Spurs need to get from the Top 3 and Chelsea. 

If we draw with Chelsea then Spurs must do the same, if we beat Chelsea the pressure on Spurs is huge. they would HAVE to beat one of those four teams....

1 hour ago, picicata said:

I was confident we would win against them in the FA Cup so I'm now nervous for this one!

Looking at some our defeats this season such as the Chelsea one  I see Lenglat has been at the back and at times with Carlos. He did a good job but I think we look a lot more solid with Tores at the back. He seems to bring the best out of his centre half partner too. 

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yep, we can assume that Spurs beat Burnley and Sheffield so they are equal points and equal GD.

Villa play Brighton and Crystal Palace. Spurs play Arsenal and Man City. We both play Chelsea and Liverpool.

It comes down to whoever does better in these 4 matches.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Yep, we can assume that Spurs beat Burnley and Sheffield so they are equal points and equal GD.

Villa play Brighton and Crystal Palace. Spurs play Arsenal and Man City. We both play Chelsea and Liverpool.

It comes down to whoever does better in these 4 matches.

On paper it looks like we should finish ahead of them easily...why do I have this horrible feeling they will get more points in those 4 games than us? Must be mental scars of the past.

46 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

On paper it looks like we should finish ahead of them easily...why do I have this horrible feeling they will get more points in those 4 games than us? Must be mental scars of the past.

Because under any other manager that is exactly what would happen, but this is Unai Emery's Aston Villa. We dont do fatigue. We don't do excuses. We win.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

We really need to beat Chelsea

Arsenal are no certs to beat Spurs. It's a derby and anything can happen, that, and Spurs home form v Arsenal is pretty good

the last 20 home matches in all competitions v Arsenal it's been 

W 11

D 4

L  5

that dates back to 2007

7 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

IF we do make Champions League next season don't forget we play a guaranteed 8 games in the group (League) stage.
2 of those games will be against POT 1 teams (Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG, Dortmund, Inter, Leipzig).
Another 2 will be against Pot 2 teams ( Leverkusen, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Benfica, Atalanta, Shkhtar, AC Milan)
Then another 2 from pot 3
then another 2 from the same pot we will be in which is Pot 4.

We will have to finish 9-24 place in the league to make the playoffs. I think we can do it.  I think we the new format is way more exciting for teams like Villa.

8 group stage matches. Probably the reason klopp decided to leave liverpool.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

IF we do make Champions League next season don't forget we play a guaranteed 8 games in the group (League) stage.
2 of those games will be against POT 1 teams (Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG, Dortmund, Inter, Leipzig).
Another 2 will be against Pot 2 teams ( Leverkusen, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Benfica, Atalanta, Shkhtar, AC Milan)
Then another 2 from pot 3
then another 2 from the same pot we will be in which is Pot 4.

We will have to finish 9-24 place in the league to make the playoffs. I think we can do it.  I think we the new format is way more exciting for teams like Villa.

More exciting to progress in UCL but I'm pretty sure we'll have less memories/success because of it, as dropping to UEL would probably resulted in more realistic chance of winning trophies, given Emery's success at that level. 

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I think Spurs beat Arsenal

I don’t, Spurs defence will struggle with Arsenal’s attack and Arsenal are one of the best defensive teams around.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t, Spurs defence will struggle with Arsenal’s attack and Arsenal are one of the best defensive teams around.

if it wasn't a derby i'd agree with you.....

but form goes totally out the window and the stats favour Spurs (see my post a few back)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I think Spurs beat Arsenal

Almost definitley, will keep things exciting, we're due at least 1 more meltdown before reaching the finish line 

Spurs beat Arsenal then lose to Chelsea 

1 hour ago, TheMightyVillans said:

8 group stage matches. Probably the reason klopp decided to leave liverpool.

Does this mean its more likely we play more of some of the european giants such as Real and Bayern ?

On 25/04/2024 at 10:16, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Good for you...

Whilst it's possible I'm happy to believe it is possible also, much the same a s the European run last season when people had that same defeatist attitude.

I admire your faith and belief, anything is possible, right! And imagine, Brother, that sweet satisfaction should that happen. So much so, that I would bathe in its residue, if that's ok with you. 😉

• Like 1

Â