Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Calling it now... i'll be on here this time next year saying " Mate...Newcastle aren't going to lose their 3 games in hand, we ain't finishing 2nd ffs "

As @Keyblade goes ballistic at us for being killjoys!

"They just need to lose their last 2 games 6-0, no biggie."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Calling it now... i'll be on here this time next year saying " Mate...Newcastle aren't going to lose their 3 games in hand, we ain't finishing 2nd ffs "

As @Keyblade goes ballistic at us for being killjoys!

Newcastle won't be in the top 4 next season

aILha1.gif *

*may not be guaranteed

The disrespect is already starting...

Here is going to be the new media narrative this summer:  Villa are in the Conference League so they'll be too distracted to challenge for the top 4...  We'll be "doing a West Ham" next season, apparently.

Edit:  Also, watch that narrative be blown apart by the contradictory statements about Newcastle "establishing themselves" as a top club next season, even though they'll also be in Europe.

Edited by KMitch

Apparently Chelsea will be back next season. Spurs will be back. Liverpool will be back.

Did someone forget to tell them there is only 4 cl spots available.

Some of these teams will have bad seasons

10 hours ago, KMitch said:

The disrespect is already starting...

Here is going to be the new media narrative this summer:  Villa are in the Conference League so they'll be too distracted to challenge for the top 4...  We'll be "doing a West Ham" next season, apparently.

Edit:  Also, watch that narrative be blown apart by the contradictory statements about Newcastle "establishing themselves" as a top club next season, even though they'll also be in Europe.

People are weird. I just don’t get this media obsession at all.

Someone is saying they think we’ll challenge for the Champions League next season and then they discuss it pretty sensibly. How is any of that disrespectful?!

• Like 3

Points totals of the fourth placed teams over the past ten seasons -

22/23 - 71

21/22 - 71

20/21 - 67

19/20 - 66

18/19 - 71

17/18 - 75

16/17 - 76

15/16 - 66

14/15 - 70

13/14 - 79

The points return we’ve had since Emery joined would see us qualify in seven of those (1.96 PPG - 74.48 points in a season). It would probably secure a top four place as the required totals seems to have reduced and levelled out over the years.

Obviously it’s unlikely to be quite that simple, a lot more factors to consider. And I dare say there are some who would rather a trophy than finishing fourth.

Ultimately though, it’s not out of the question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

22/23 - 71

21/22 - 71

20/21 - 67

19/20 - 66

18/19 - 71

17/18 - 75

16/17 - 76

15/16 - 66

14/15 - 70

13/14 - 79

The points return we’ve had since Emery joined would see us qualify in seven of those (1.96 PPG - 74.48 points in a season). It would probably secure a top four place as the required totals seems to have reduced and levelled out over the years.

Obviously it’s unlikely to be quite that simple, a lot more factors to consider. And I dare say there are some who would rather a trophy than finishing fourth.

A lot of factors next season.

We still don't know who will be the spurs manager.

Poch at Chelsea.

Will Liverpool carry on with the form at the back end of this season?

I think it's hopeful to think the 'big 6' will be as bad next season.

We should still be able to challenge though.

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

A lot of factors next season.

We still don't know who will be the spurs manager.

Poch at Chelsea.

Will Liverpool carry on with the form at the back end of this season?

I think it's hopeful to think the 'big 6' will be as bad next season.

We should still be able to challenge though.

...and also will we still compete as well in the league given that we may well have a European campaign too?

I'd be happy with another top 7 finish tbh.

• Like 3

If we want to challenge for a top 4 place then we need to bring in 3/4 CL level players. Sustaining it over the season is difficult. Especially when injuries suspension and mental fatigue bites.

The way we play is tiring mentally. And we saw against wolves and man yoo a 1-2% drop off resulted in defeats. 

To qualify for Europe again, any European competition, would be massive. Everything outside of that is a bonus. I’d like a good run in the ECL, but also to take the FA Cup seriously. We’re long overdue some silverware. 

Anyhow, let’s see what happens over the summer. We might sign some amazing players. 

Two consecutive 10th place finishes in the league on the way. However, we’re going to do a back to back of the  Europa conference league and Europa league meaning CL qualification for the 2025/26 season. 

37 minutes ago, bobzy said:

...and also will we still compete as well in the league given that we may well have a European campaign too?

I'd be happy with another top 7 finish tbh.

Win conference league, qualify for Europa League.

Win Europa League, qualify for CL.

Win CL.

Simple as that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

22/23 - 71

21/22 - 71

20/21 - 67

19/20 - 66

18/19 - 71

17/18 - 75

16/17 - 76

15/16 - 66

14/15 - 70

13/14 - 79

We need to see the list for 5th though. As there will almost certainly be 5 places next season. 

36 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If we want to challenge for a top 4 place then we need to bring in 3/4 CL level players. Sustaining it over the season is difficult. Especially when injuries suspension and mental fatigue bites

I think the difficulty is: what is truly a “CL Player?” As there’s so many players with some CL experience, Coutinho has won it, Traore has played quite a bit (15 appearances), but most people agree those two don’t form a huge part of our push for CL next year. (Just picked those off the top of my head,) I trust Unai though, and that’s all we can do for now I suppose!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think the difficulty is: what is truly a “CL Player?” As there’s so many players with some CL experience, Coutinho has won it, Traore has played quite a bit (15 appearances), but most people agree those two don’t form a huge part of our push for CL next year. (Just picked those off the top of my head,) I trust Unai though, and that’s all we can do for now I suppose!

I think that’s a fair post for me it’s players who will fit in with our playing style and improve. 

Â