Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

But we probably won't secure 4th until the last or last but one game of the season.

It's only hypothetical.

However we do it… will be wonderful.

A few or run of losses for Spurs would be nice though 😁

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Palace have beaten Liverpool, West Ham and Newcastle in last 3! Got a bit of a new manager bounce going on it seems. 

I reckon 4th will be tied up by them anyway.

They need humbling…

Over to this man…

spacer.png

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I still think this is really tight between us and Spurs - I can see us needing to get something at Palace on the last day.

Saturday is a big opportunity to make a difference.

I'm thinking the opposite at the mo, we might have 4th sorted before Palace.

3 points on Saturday puts us 9 clear before Spuds even play, and they play 2-3 very tough games in a week. They need 4 points minimum out of those. We could secure 4th at Brighton, now that would be perfect for me.

I think my math is correct

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I'm thinking the opposite at the mo, we might have 4th sorted before Palace.

3 points on Saturday puts us 9 clear before Spuds even play, and they play 2-3 very tough games in a week. They need 4 points minimum out of those. We could secure 4th at Brighton, now that would be perfect for me.

I think my math is correct

I think your maths is correct too and I'll be very happy if we have it wrapped up sooner rather than later!

Liverpool's collapse should be good for us, unless we catch them just at the moment that all the pressure is gone and they just play for fun.

All of our remaining games are tough, with Brighton perhaps the easiest on paper at the moment - Spurs should win the two easy ones they've got, so I think of us as pretty much neck and neck with the deciding factor being whether we get more points out of Chelsea, Brighton, Liverpool and Palace or they get more out of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City. 

I think we've got an advantage there - but I'll be a lot happier once we can get a couple of games into it.

A draw against Chelsea wouldn't be the worst result in the world.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think your maths is correct too and I'll be very happy if we have it wrapped up sooner rather than later!

Liverpool's collapse should be good for us, unless we catch them just at the moment that all the pressure is gone and they just play for fun.

All of our remaining games are tough, with Brighton perhaps the easiest on paper at the moment - Spurs should win the two easy ones they've got, so I think of us as pretty much neck and neck with the deciding factor being whether we get more points out of Chelsea, Brighton, Liverpool and Palace or they get more out of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City. 

I think we've got an advantage there - but I'll be a lot happier once we can get a couple of games into it.

A draw against Chelsea wouldn't be the worst result in the world.

A draw wouldn't be the worst thing but we have some momentum again now, I don't think we will balls it up.

Personally, I don't think Spuds will get more than 2 points out of those 4 games

10 minutes ago, dappadan said:

Spurs lose the next 2 and we win the next 2 it will be job done. 

Easy

Sadly football and especially Aston Villa football doesn’t work like that. Expect it to go to the last day

We finished last season strongly when we needed to in order to get European football. I like to think we can again to get Champions League.
This doesn't feel like the old "we'll make it unnecessarily hard / **** it up / hope that kills you" Villa. This feels like a "gtfo of our way Villa".

The force is with us. Spurs can sit down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dappadan said:

Spurs lose the next 2 and we win the next 2 it will be job done. 

Easy

Bit like how it looked like the Premier League was going to have five champions league places all season and we could have been all but qualified for it right now but that would have been too easy.

It will go down to the last day. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I still think this is really tight between us and Spurs - I can see us needing to get something at Palace on the last day.

Saturday is a big opportunity to make a difference.

I am really confident now we have 6 on the board, their fixtures are difficult

I’d still be worried about Spurs if they had demonstrated any tactical flexibility at all this season…. Which they haven’t. 

Any sensible coach would look at the 2 bankers in the final two games and think if we are slightly more pragmatic than normal and pick up a win and two draws against Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City we’ve got a real chance here….

But Ange being Ange will play in EXACTLY the same way as everyone expects and teams of this quality will be ready for them in exactly the same way Newcastle were. 

• Like 1

My feeling is take each game as it comes , as cliched as that sounds as so many factors that can come into play.

For example we beat Chelsea and go 9 points clear , Spurs then under more pressure Sunday. We lose and gives them less pressure as a win cuts it to 3 points. You also don't know mindsets of teams we play just yet , Liverpool for example is much tougher game if they can still win league than if they are out of it with only pride to play for.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Cole Palmer is back in training for Chelski :( 

Wouldn't get in our team and if he was, he wouldn't even be on pens 💪

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I’d still be worried about Spurs if they had demonstrated any tactical flexibility at all this season…. Which they haven’t. 

Any sensible coach would look at the 2 bankers in the final two games and think if we are slightly more pragmatic than normal and pick up a win and two draws against Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City we’ve got a real chance here….

But Ange being Ange will play in EXACTLY the same way as everyone expects and teams of this quality will be ready for them in exactly the same way Newcastle were. 

In fairness they can't just wait til the last two games and try to only be 3-6 points behind then hope we lose to Liverpool and possibly Palace too - they need to in touching distance before that. You can bet they'd rather have those two games first so they could get back on level terms. The scheduling has worked out well for us in this sense, however it ends.