• Coutinho
    • Buendía (Coutinho 66)
    • Ramsey (Sanson 67)
    • Young (Casj 71)
    • Watkins (Ings 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 23:59

11 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

How is the managers perfomance very poor, did you want Unai playing centre half

No. But at the same time I don't want him sending a side out to nick a goal and protect it against f**king Stevenage!?

The apathy in that first half was a disgrace. And the being bullied by a side 3 divisions below us was unacceptable.

We started the same as we did against Wolves with the slow slow tempo and build up and it set the tone as, like Wolves, they found it easy to defend and hit us on the break. We're so EASY to work out how to play against, especially, and alarmingly by the looks of it, at Villa Park where teams just flood the midfield and we have no answer.

To take some positives from that game today is hard.

I only hope that  emery has seen who wants to play for the shirt and who does not..seemed pretty pretty clear to me.

The Clearout of the squad and the rebuild starts now and will continue for the next 4 windows.

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

Who picked the team? Who keeps picking Olsen despite him letting in shit goals in nearly every game? Who kept Bailey on today despite him not doing anything right all game, or indeed for several games now?

And it was working fine right up until dendonker got himself sent off and gave a penalty away 

Too much laziness throughout, played like cruising when it was only 1-0. Stevenage were well drilled, happy to let us have the ball and sit back. And then two pieces of diabolical stupidity/laziness to throw the match away, Dendoncker's cock-up followed by failure to do basics on a corner.

We failed to have any consistent attacking pressure. Stevenage did only have 2 shots on goal, but then we only managed 3 with all our possession. Coutinho and Bailey badly need to remember how to shoot. Bailey had a wretched performance throughout, needs a spell out of the team. Coutinho, sometimes looked like might create something and was involved in the goal, but you'd still expect a lot more. Ings and Watkins were both pretty non-existent, but that was probably a function of creative players failing to make much opportunity for them. Final balls generally not good.

Sanson the only out-of-favour player to really make a case for more game time. Feel bad for him, finally gets a game, get himself a goal, which should've been the winner - instead he's now a footnote on one of the most embarrassing results in our history.

Just now, Made In Aston said:

It doesn't matter what league either team is in. If the opposition park the bus very effectively then it's difficult to create much. 

I don't even think they were exceptionally effective. They didn't look beyond the standard of their league; they just sat deep and we couldn't break them down.  None of their players looked like they were playing above their level - we just put in an awful performance against inferior opposition and conceded two horrendous goals. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We are playing matches every few days at the moment. What’s the point of having a squad of multi million pound players if you never use them?

Sure play the lesser players then.

Don't expect to win any trophies though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

It will be ignored by the headlines but we actually destroyed them second half. Just some of the worst finishing you’re ever going to see. And Olson is officially the worst keeper I’ve ever seen in a Villa shirt. The second goal is kicked straight at him! Useless!

"Destroyed them". Sweet jesus. 

I don't think for one minute that Emery is at fault for that. He fielded a team full of experience and international caps that should have been more than capable of beating a League two side. 

Some of the changes were forced on him and others seemed to be to freshen it up because we looked blunt in attack. The fact that Watkins did nothing for their second, together with a keeper who is just not good enough, isn't on Emery. That's on those two players. He also cannot be blamed for the fact the ref awarded a penalty instead of a free kick and sent our player off when there was cover behind him. 

I hope that some good comes out of this by way of him losing faith in some of the players he may have thought good enough to keep at the club. He could sell half tomorrow and they wouldn't be missed. 

Just now, holteend1982 said:

And it was working fine right up until dendonker got himself sent off and gave a penalty away 

'Working fine.' A hideous performance against a 4th division side is working fine? Not in my book it isn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

No. But at the same time I don't want him sending a side out to nick a goal and protect it against f**king Stevenage!?

The apathy in that first half was a disgrace. And the being bullied by a side 3 divisions below us was unacceptable.

We started the same as we did against Wolves with the slow slow tempo and build up and it set the tone as, like Wolves, they found it easy to defend and hit us on the break. We're so EASY to work out how to play against, especially, and alarmingly by the looks of it, at Villa Park where teams just flood the midfield and we have no answer.

He didn't do that. 

Game plan was fine - the players let him down. 

• Like 3

To be a bit of a counterpoint, we looked comfortable up until the last 10 minutes. I don't think that Stevenage looked like doing that. That said, we should have been out of sight by that point, and I have no idea what Donk was doing all game.

• Like 1

We played the game like a friendly and ultimately got caught out. Crazily casual from Dendoncker, which summed up the attitude on the day. At 1-1 and 10 men, you’d take a replay which you’d expect to win, so no major problem in the long term. But up steps Buendia, when some calm and composure is needed, to give the ball back to Stevenage TWICE WITHIN 30 SECONDS of the restart, leading to a corner to Stevenage. Ollie Watkins decides now is a nice time to go for a slow casual jog for his warm down. Thinking the game is already over, Olsen has removed his contact lenses so unfortunately can’t see the ball at it goes through his body.

I wouldn’t give appearances to Chambers and Bednarek in games where we have any remote interest in the result. Hause was a much more solid option. Olsen can’t be relied upon either. Bailey is a calamity. Buendia would be the first out the door for me. He just loses the ball too much and has too many weaknesses. I think the championship is his level. Doubt we will have many buyers. Sanson my MOTM. 

• Like 2

Â