• Coutinho
    • Buendía (Coutinho 66)
    • Ramsey (Sanson 67)
    • Young (Casj 71)
    • Watkins (Ings 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 23:59

1 minute ago, QldVilla said:

I’m not blaming the manager, he’s been giving these players the opportunity to show their worth, today they let him down through poor mentality and not being at it the fill 90min.

Was the team selection a mistake, maybe, he could have gone best 11 and killed off the game early, but he gave these fringe players a chance to prove themselves, and they let him down.

Im disappointed, but now Emery may actually pull the trigger on some of these frauds.

I agree with this. No **** way he sent them out to play this way. And this team should be wiping the floor with Stevenage. It's all on the players. And certain players have proved they're just not good enough now. A disturbing amount of them.

I feel for NSWE who have very poor value for their incredible investment.

If that’s starting 11 there are maybe 3-4 players who are at the level of average premier league player! 

Keeper should go now. Beyond useless!

Cash is ok, Augustinson is terrible. 
I’d happily say goodbye to both centre backs. 
Luiz is ok around better players. Sanson and Dendonker are average at best. Bailey and Couthino were terrible today. Ings was ok with almost no possession. 

Nobody was giving it the "team full of internationals should be doing better" excuse when we doing badly under Gerrard, and it's not an acceptable excuse now for our most humiliating FA Cup result in living memory.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, switters said:

Too much laziness throughout, played like cruising when it was only 1-0. Stevenage were well drilled, happy to let us have the ball and sit back. And then two pieces of diabolical stupidity/laziness to throw the match away, Dendoncker's cock-up followed by failure to do basics on a corner.

We failed to have any consistent attacking pressure. Stevenage did only have 2 shots on goal, but then we only managed 3 with all our possession. Coutinho and Bailey badly need to remember how to shoot. Bailey had a wretched performance throughout, needs a spell out of the team. Coutinho, sometimes looked like might create something and was involved in the goal, but you'd still expect a lot more. Ings and Watkins were both pretty non-existent, but that was probably a function of creative players failing to make much opportunity for them. Final balls generally not good.

Sanson the only out-of-favour player to really make a case for more game time. Feel bad for him, finally gets a game, get himself a goal, which should've been the winner - instead he's now a footnote on one of the most embarrassing results in our history.

Again, to counter, it was after we put first teamers Buendia, Young, Watkins on that we conceded two.

Olsen needs selling. 

A manager is never blameless in a defeat, imo. 

But at the same time when you’ve got a front 3 of Bailey Coutinho and Ings and you can’t beat a league 2 side it’s hard to blame the manager entirely. 

Hopefully he’s learned some valuable lessons from tonight. Mainly that most of our players are shit

1 minute ago, Risso said:

Nobody was giving it the "team full of internationals should be doing better" excuse when we doing badly under Gerrard, and it's not an acceptable excuse now for our most humiliating FA Cup result in living memory.

Bradford. Bradford was worse. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Yes it should but you always risk  bad results when you don't pick your strongest team.

We are  not in Europe. We are in a mid table no man's land in the league.

There was no reason not playing our strongest XI

Apart from Leeds on Friday, risk of injuries,  existing niggles and knocks and the fact again, that we put out a team of internationals that rightly for 85 minutes nullified a league 2 side.

Again, Deondoncker committed a cardinal sin of not checking his shoulder 5 yards outside his own box! 

2 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

We played the game like a friendly and ultimately got caught out. Crazily casual from Dendoncker, which summed up the attitude on the day. At 1-1 and 10 men, you’d take a replay which you’d expect to win, so no major problem in the long term. But up steps Buendia, when some calm and composure is needed, to give the ball back to Stevenage TWICE WITHIN 30 SECONDS of the restart, leading to a corner to Stevenage. Ollie Watkins decides now is a nice time to go for a slow casual jog for his warm down. Thinking the game is already over, Olsen has removed his contact lenses so unfortunately can’t see the ball at it goes through his body.

I wouldn’t give appearances to Chambers and Bednarek in games where we have any remote interest in the result. Hause was a much more solid option. Olsen can’t be relied upon either. Bailey is a calamity. Buendia would be the first out the door for me. He just loses the ball too much and has too many weaknesses. I think the championship is his level. Doubt we will have many buyers. Sanson my MOTM. 

Yeah Bednarek was also pants. Losing headers to players a foot shorter than him.

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

im not blaming the manager for that line up. **** off blaming Emery for that, they are miillionaires with PL experience who were given a chance against **** stevenage and they lost. **** the players. 

Yet when we win, emery is a tactical genius? ? 

Can't have it both ways.

Should the team he selected have win comfortably? Yes

Were we winning comfortably when he took sanson off ?

Who was our best player at that time ?

Was Bailey playing well ? The large amount of time he had on the ball, did he use it effectively? 

If someone's playing well and we are 3 nil up after 65 mins, fair enough if we have another game midweek. We don't and we were not 3 nil up.

If someone is a disaster in a villa shirt and everything they touch turns to shit, do you keep them on hoping the previous 65 minutes was just unlucky and suddenly they will come good ? Or do you take them off for another player to try his luck ?

That's all down to the manager, I'm a huge fan of our manager, however let's not pretend he isn't responsible for who plays and if they are or aren't performing,  that he can't do a thing about it.

Just now, Mazrim said:

I agree with this. No **** way he sent them out to play this way. And this team should be wiping the floor with Stevenage. It's all on the players. And certain players have proved they're just not good enough now. A disturbing amount of them.

I feel for NSWE who have very poor value for their incredible investment.

someone said it in the match thread, or the post match thread, cant remember, they said:

"there are only about 5 players in this entire squad that i would object to selling/getting rid of".

I totally agree, we have invested in a lot of average or poor players, i think there are probably only 5-10 players who i think are actually good enough for where we "claim" we want to be.

That team versus Stevenage was plenty good enough to do the job asked of it, the fact they didnt has at least shown Emery he cant rely on these frauds, at least its january so we can see some movement in the squad.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

What about the time when you told all your glory hunting mates that no chance is Grealish going to City because he’s Mr Aston Villa.

Or the time Lescott pocket dialled a photo of his car to the whole internet.

Or when we signed all the “best” strikers in the Championship and one of them couldn’t climb over his garden fence.

Villa players routinely take the piss out of the club, and have done for years.

All fair points 

• Like 2

Just now, tezzaleed said:

ffs sake why are you all looking to blame the manager and the selection.  it was working fine.  Bednarek and bednarek alone cost us that match.  get him in the fecking sea now.

sorry dendonker.  I'm so angry I'm not thinking

It's just so annoying being a Villa fan.  That glimmer of hope when Emery came in is already beginning to look a tad dimmer.  There's got to be some sort of hoodoo on us.  We sack the manager and nothing changes, so we change the squad and nothing changes. Rinse and repeat.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Â