• Coutinho
    • Buendía (Coutinho 66)
    • Ramsey (Sanson 67)
    • Young (Casj 71)
    • Watkins (Ings 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 23:59

6 minutes ago, Bosnichs Muller corner said:

Does the club realise how emotionally challenging it is trying to convince my 6 year old son that Villa is the club to support! 

It'll be a few years until my daughter is old enough, but I honestly don't think I can do it to her

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Easy to have meltdowns at everyone after a result like this.

That team was more than good enough to beat Stevenage.

It's also easy to claim everyone is crap, but note that, some of the same players in that team today, have had brilliants games in the ACTUAL Premier League at some point or another this season.

I tend to agree with most that if anything it's an attitude thing.

Also, sometimes the wrong " blend " plus rustiness can through everything off altogether.

Plenty of those involved today did well coming on v Wolves just a few days ago.

Guess however there's a difference being an impact sub at 1-0 down and having to throw caution to the wind and starting and attempting to control a game at 0-0.

We were playing Stevenage though. Credit to them but that shouldn't be happening today.

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

So how much money was wasted on that starting 11? 

Good luck shifting them as well 

Getting rid would probably have to be arranged as some kind of huge accident, for insurance reasons.

Don’t think selling is an option for more than one or two at most.

It shouldnt matter but none of the leadership group started the game. No McGinn Martinez Ash or Mings. Those who set the standards. Who are vocal and aggressive. No matter how the players should win it whatever , not having leaders on the pitch is always going to be a problem.

• Like 1

I don't get the complaints about playing Olsen over Martinez today. It's the cup and second string keepers across the big clubs all play in these games. It was only a week ago Olsen was being praised for his performance against Spurs. 

If Emery had played Martinez today and he got injured and out of the Leeds game people would be questioning his decision to play him. Playing Olsen was the right decision. However, I hope that Emery is in the market for a new back-up keeper this month as Olsen clearly is a car crash waiting to happen. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

No.

I'm saying not picking your better players always leaves the risk of not getting good results.

Pick the likes of Martinez, Mings and Kamara and we win this game and can dream of a final and trophy.

I think our second string players should be good enough to beat a 4th division team. If they aren’t good enough they have no business being professional footballers.

6 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

what balls.  he picked a team that was easily capable of beating Stevenage.  his tactics were reasonably ok.  one person is responsible for that result.  Dendonker.  get rid of him and we're fine again.

Stevenage are doing really well this season. They played like a well drilled and confident team. We played like strangers. Why not start with your best 11 and then it doesn’t matter if you make a balls up in the 88th minute because hopefully you will be multiple goals ahead.

I’m not sure how long you’ve followed villa for but we have had multiple examples over the years where we field a weaker team and balls it up. Why take the risk? 

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Easy to have meltdowns at everyone after a result like this.

That team was more than good enough to beat Stevenage.

It's also easy to claim everyone is crap, but note that, some of the same players in that team today, have had brilliants games in the ACTUAL Premier League at some point or another this season.

I tend to agree with most that if anything it's an attitude thing.

Also, sometimes the wrong " blend " plus rustiness can through everything off altogether.

That’s the issue isn’t it - some players have had good games this season. They aren’t consistent, which is what makes them unsuitable for our aims and ambitions, thus, they need to be moved on. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

What does that comment even mean? So, because we have 20 odd players, it means we should trust them, regardless of ability? 

Olsen has arguably cost us our place in both cup competitions this year. Why was he picked today? Why do we have two loan players who’ve hardly kicked a ball this season and who are both clearly f*****g shit, playing in a completely new back 4? 

I’ll praise Emery when he wins games and even if we lose some as long as we show some semblance of good play. He fu****d up today thinking he could play a makeshift back 5 and it backfired on him. It means we’re out the cup. 

On to the next game. 

Our second string team should have been able to beat a League 2 Stevenage, most are internationals. It's not on Emery, the team should have hardly needed tactics to beat these, the players let us and the manager down. For example did you even see Augusteen scared to take the ball forward at least 5 times passing it back, against Stevenage, what a absolute bottler, an he wasn't the only one, we had to watch Bailey try to play too flash like he was playing Barcelona, Coutinho shoot like he had his kids school shoes on and Watkins on for 5 minutes an not even bothering to chase the ball back. We could have had Pep, the shit was there for all to see, too lazy, too slow, just awful. Emery will be fuming!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

I think our second string players should be good enough to beat a 4th division team. If they aren’t good enough they have no business being professional footballers.

We've not won an FA cup game since 2015.

Maybe it's time to change approach.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

ok so no one has written emery off but the result was all down to him.  resulting in one of our worst results in history.   we'll done.

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Can we just calm down a bit here? It was smash and grab by Stevenage and a mediocre performance marred by individual errors. Team selection was all seniors, all more than good enough to do a job. Emery is not at fault here whatsoever. 

That's not exactly true. You know all bad results end up being the responsibility of the manager. The players are to blame without doubt, but the manager picked them to play, so there's that. The attitude of the players was all wrong and the manager has to be questioned in regards to that. He is not beyond reproach. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

That’s the issue isn’t it - some players have had good games this season. They aren’t consistent, which is what makes them unsuitable for our aims and ambitions, thus, they need to be moved on. 

THANK YOU. Why don’t more people see this. You can’t clamour for europe and claim eg Buendia is a good enough player. 

Just now, sidcow said:

This is the sort of shit that's supposed to stop now. 

How long have certain posters been saying the players just don't cut it at the level we are supposedly trying to aspire to.

Edited by sheepyvillian

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Our second string team should have been able to beat a League 2 Stevenage, most are internationals. It's not on Emery, the team should have hardly needed tactics to beat these, the players let us and the manager down. For example did you even see Augusteen scared to take the ball forward at least 5 times passing it back, against Stevenage, what a absolute bottler, an he wasn't the only one, we had to watch Bailey try to play too flash like he was playing Barcelona, Coutinho shoot like he had his kids school shoes on and Watkins on for 5 minutes an not even bothering to chase the ball back. We could have had Pep, the shit was there for all to see, too lazy, too slow, just awful. Emery will be fuming!!!!!

It’s this sort of arrogance that cost us our place in the next round. 

At any level of football, if you play a back 5 who’ve never started together, you’re going to get punished. 9 times out of 10 we win that game with the team we picked today but you run the risk of losing if you take chances with the team selection. 

Emery will have learnt a lot today, which is the only positive I can take. He rolled the dice with his team selection and I’m afraid it backfired. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I don't get the complaints about playing Olsen over Martinez today. It's the cup and second string keepers across the big clubs all play in these games. It was only a week ago Olsen was being praised for his performance against Spurs. 

If Emery had played Martinez today and he got injured and out of the Leeds game people would be questioning his decision to play him. Playing Olsen was the right decision. However, I hope that Emery is in the market for a new back-up keeper this month as Olsen clearly is a car crash waiting to happen. 

I only think the second keeper in the cup thing is worth it so that they get a game of football every now and then.  Olsen had his last week and we got away with it.  I really think Emi should have played today, he has shown how big an influence he is in cup games for Argentina.  The rest of it I can't really blame Emery for, I just hope he can get some good players into the squad.

15 minutes ago, Bosnichs Muller corner said:

Does the club realise how emotionally challenging it is trying to convince my 6 year old son that Villa is the club to support! 

So true. My son fluctuates between man city and villa. He went to the city game today. How can you even compete. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s this sort of arrogance that cost us our place in the next round. 

At any level of football, if you play a back 5 who’ve never started together, you’re going to get punished. 9 times out of 10 we win that game with the team we picked today but you run the risk of losing if you take chances with the team selection. 

Emery will have learnt a lot today, which is the only positive I can take. He rolled the dice with his team selection and I’m afraid it backfired. 

It's league 2 though chap, not Championship. Whatever we did, if we didn't go into that game thinking it was in the bag, we may have been 3 up at half time. Sanson was MOtM what does that tell you really.

Â