Neil Critchley

Villaphan04

47 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Brief google brings up an article that suggests its a fairly lopsided 442 in attack, which effectively creates a front 5 similar to how we've been setting up. Attacking left back pushes high and left wing comes inside alongside front two, with right wing staying wide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seamless appointment again from the club with an assistant with more experience and proven ability. More importantly he knows Gerrard.

Have a feeling this was completed a few weeks ago.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Football really does nothing for your hair colour does it. He's 43 and looks 10 years older than me. 

Maybe he should shave it off.  Someone start a thread quick.

46 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Terrible appointment. I was expecting Steve Mcmanaman. 🤣

Does anybody else feel like this Critchley fellow is a bit like Deano (before his time at Villa)? 

Or OGS before he tanked the Manure job...

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It may have been mentioned, but what kind of football do Blackpool play? What formation etc. 

Can't say I really know much about them but just from the cursory glance I've had over the past couple of hours it seems he's varied the shape between the two seasons. Played a 4-5-1 type of formation and also a sort of asymmetric 4-4-2 that ostensibly becomes a 4-3-3 in practice with at least one of the full backs bombing on. Saw someone on Twitter mention something about their pressing being excellent as well. Seems quite versatile anyway which is what you'd expect given his track record.

58 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

I disagree with everyone that's saying it's a backwards step for him.

I think it's a step up actually - imagine if you moved from managing a mid table Championship side with probably not much scope for improvement to going and working alongside one of the best young managers in the country at probably the most exciting club in the country right now with state of the art training facilities and very rich owners who are taking us places. Also the potential to maybe be the next Villa boss one day. 

And bigger wages, I mean his playing career finished in his early 20’s, whereas coaching might be something to and stay involved for the likes of Gerrard and Vieira and ex top level players, it’s very much a job to pay the bills for men like Critchley.

• Like 1

Â