Neil Critchley

Villaphan04

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we loan them a player for next season. 

Barry or A.Ramsey maybe 

We might also go up there and give them a pre-season game, that would be a decent day out. 

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Is it not normal and fair to pay the teams that finish higher up the league more money?

Not if that prize money then dictates how much you’re allowed to spend.  It’s basically a system that discourages competition.

if you want to be ‘financially fair’ then EVERY team should have the same budget to spend on transfers & wages.  

17 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Two immediate things I’m reading into this:

1. We must have made him a financial offer he couldn’t refuse, further proof of our ability to spend big

2. He must have been really sold by our project and the plans for this coming year 

Or we chopped his horses head off

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think it's real no.

It's like when Smith first joined and all those stills were around with funny fake quotes saying stuff like "I want to absolutely annihilate the opposition in games"

There's no doubt he did join because of Gerrard though.

5 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

A piss take. As he and Gerrard already know each other and are friends I am sure it was an opportunity to have a little dig. I wonder what Kamara thinks of it. I would like to see a response from him LOL

Yes, I know that. I couldn't tell whether they and all the people liking it had missed the joke!

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

I’m interested in how much of our formation and play was Beale and how much was Gerrard. I suspect we’re likely to see something a little different

I doubt this - I think it’s Gerrard’s approach and he hired Beale to bring it to life. Now it will be Critchley’s job, but the style of play will be the same.

That said I don’t think we have yet seen Gerrard’s style of play - the test for him is whether with a full pre-season we will do next year. 

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

In modern football where everyone is a head coach he does have it easy. It's not a dig. Ferguson was the best of the best at it. It's a skill getting people in the right roles and empowering them to perform. In todays football Gerrard does seem to have an easy gig. 

Nah disagree. It’s like running any business - it was easier 20 years ago when you were the top dog as CEO/Manager whatever and your word was law. Now if you’re running a decent sized company you spend your time ‘consensus building’, ‘seeking buy in’ and ‘convincing stakeholders’ - football is the same - much easier when you could just say “I’m in charge so do what I say.” Even in the most basic example if Fergie turned his hairdryer on a player now they’d laugh at him or file an HR grievance - same as when I started out my boss yelled at me all the time and if I didn’t like it I could leave, but now if I yelled at some 23 year old I’m the one who would lose my job.

7 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yes but “The Wilderness Years” went on for what seemed like a lifetime and probably was for some people. I like this new version now I’m getting used to it. Still I can understand why people are a bit nervous when things go wobbly. When you’ve had years of under investment, unkept promises, outright fraud and disinterested miss management, this well oiled machine we’ve become, takes a bit of getting used to. 

True, but worth remembering we've finished 17th, 11th* and 14th so far under this 'well oiled machine'. The true measure of being ran well is success on the pitch, and given the level of investment we haven't seen that at all.

Â