Neil Critchley

Villaphan04

23 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Football really does nothing for your hair colour does it. He's 43 and looks 10 years older than me. 

He looks like Paul Lambert, who has about 10 years on him. Think it's more than just hair color, football seems to have that effect on coaches and he's in luck, Villa even moreso! 

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Neither did the Blackpool fans - has left them very salty.

I herb he’s a very good coach

• Like 1

Imagine being him though.  Probably being paid significantly more than he was at Blackpool. Less direct responsibility. Less pressure, less press spotlight.

Insurance that if Gerrard gets the boot he probably becomes the manager.

He's landed on his feet. But I'm still in shock that we've made this happen so quickly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Imagine being him though.  Probably being paid significantly more than he was at Blackpool. Less direct responsibility. Less pressure, less press spotlight.

Insurance that if Gerrard gets the boot he probably becomes the manager.

He's landed on his feet. But I'm still in shock that we've made this happen so quickly.

They’d have been talking to him for a fair old while I imagine. This will have been bubbling in the background for a couple of weeks at the very least. 

32 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I would think he’ll be the next Aston Villa manager at some point if things develop as everyone involved wants. Could be good succession planning.

Or Villa could at some point hire an experienced manager with merits from the big leagues.

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Have there been many appointments where a manager has left to become an assistant head coach or similar?

I have no idea if it’s a regular occurrence.

Steve Cotterill did it with Sunderland under Wilkinson. No doubt had his high on the top job when he would be sacked.

I think it's really strange to take a step back in your career at 43 when he's been a coach for so long and just recently took a No. 1 job and had great success.

• Thanks 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Steve Cotterill did it with Sunderland under Wilkinson. No doubt had his high on the top job when he would be sacked.

I think it's really strange to take a step back in your career at 43 when he's been a coach for so long and just recently took a No. 1 job and had great success.

Maybe he hates doing the press stuff, i definitely do on FM 

• Haha 2

Glad it has been sorted so quickly!  

Don’t know anything him about apart from what has been said in this thread but sounds good and gives them chance to prepare for preseason, which is key.

Â