Neil Critchley

Villaphan04

On 24/07/2022 at 13:49, AntrimBlack said:

What I find weird is that someone in his position did not have a valid passport. No fault of the club; there must have been a collective sigh of `what the f@ck' from the club when they were appraised of the news.

Let’s face it, renewing your passport hasn’t been on top of anyone’s to do list over the last couple of years. Plus his position was Blackpool manager, I hope he’s good but even the most wildly optimistic manager wouldn’t be planning a European campaign from there. 😃

6 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Getting the players to look as if they have actually been coached would be a start.

I suspect you are setting your sights too high with a clueless rookie manager who has only managed some obscure little Scottish club and doesn’t talk to the players. Critchley has no hope and will be gone with Gerrard by Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

22 minutes ago, Wes said:

From Percy's latest article.

"Gerrard is fully on board with the academy set-up, and this summer persuaded Neil Critchley, one of English football’s most highly regarded coaches and a long-term target of Gerrard from his time at Rangers, to leave Blackpool as his new assistant after Michael Beale’s appointment at QPR.

A fee of more than £1.2m was required to bring the 43-year-old to Villa Park, and he is seen as a modern, progressive coach who is eager to embrace modern methodology."

So if things go wrong it will be Gerrard's fault, and if they go well it will be Critchley's doing?

• Like 4

19 hours ago, duke313 said:

So if things go wrong it will be Gerrard's fault, and if they go well it will be Critchley's doing?

Now Beale has gone someone has to take all the credit, and it can't be Gerrard ;)

One thing that's gone under the radar is how much Gerrard (and players) made out about how progressive Gerrards effective co-managing relationship with his Assistants are...

Yet we managed to go on a full pre-season tour without his new right hand man because of a 'passport issue'. I'd like to know what happened one way or another and how we managed to hire an assistant who missed all of pre season

13 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

One thing that's gone under the radar is how much Gerrard (and players) made out about how progressive Gerrards effective co-managing relationship with his Assistants are...

Yet we managed to go on a full pre-season tour without his new right hand man because of a 'passport issue'. I'd like to know what happened one way or another and how we managed to hire an assistant who missed all of pre season

Probably unvaxxed if we are being ...well.... yeah

12 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

i would say its obvious what happened (at least imo).

Critchley was managing Blackpool, not in Europe, no over seas pre season, the club had zero reason to be linked to anything outside of the UK.

I would guess Critchley also didnt plan to holiday outside of the Uk at this time (for whatever reason), so basically he didnt see any need for a passport, and let it expire.

Gerrard turns up at his door....."yeeeeeah course Neil come to Villa?"

Critchley says yes, but now Villa are going to Australia, Critchley doesnt have a passport and the wait times are silly long, Critchley misses pre season in Australia.

Critchley did go to France for the Rennes game.

The only other possible thing i can think is vaccination status, or choosing not to be vaccinated (not sure on Australia's rules with regard to this - so it could be that, or maybe not).

I dont think its anything more complicated than that.

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i would say its obvious what happened (at least imo).

Critchley was managing Blackpool, not in Europe, no over seas pre season, the club had zero reason to be linked to anything outside of the UK.

I would guess Critchley also didnt plan to holiday outside of the Uk at this time (for whatever reason), so basically he didnt see any need for a passport, and let it expire.

Gerrard turns up at his door....."yeeeeeah course Neil come to Villa?"

Critchley says yes, but now Villa are going to Australia, Critchley doesnt have a passport and the wait times are silly long, Critchley misses pre season in Australia.

Critchley did go to France for the Rennes game.

The only other possible thing i can think is vaccination status, or choosing not to be vaccinated (not sure on Australia's rules with regard to this - so it could be that, or maybe not).

I dont think its anything more complicated than that.

Thats fair enough but QPR hiring Beale was not some out of blue decision

Edited by Zatman

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Probably unvaxxed if we are being ...well.... yeah

Tried to hint at this but you've gone in with the sledgehammer.

Best thing that can happen to us is Critchley just become manager. Pick side as he sees fit. Gerrard can carry on his £6m a year press conference salary.

14 minutes ago, Villa Gaffa said:

What changes in the way we play has anyone noticed now Critchley has replaced Beale ?

Has anything changed or is it still too early to notice considering Critchley didn't go to Australia ?

Too early, for mine.

But, oh boy, does he have some work to do!

Concerning that we are pinning our hopes on the assistant manager being able to coach and style our play rather than the manager.

Shouldn't it be the managers style of play and tactics and the assistant implements them for him on a day to day basis ? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Villa Gaffa said:

What changes in the way we play has anyone noticed now Critchley has replaced Beale ?

Has anything changed or is it still too early to notice considering Critchley didn't go to Australia ?

If Beale really was the “brains” behind the system then nothing has changed so far, wonder if Beale sets up QPR similar?

On 04/08/2022 at 09:32, briny_ear said:

I suspect you are setting your sights too high with a clueless rookie manager who has only managed some obscure little Scottish club and doesn’t talk to the players. Critchley has no hope and will be gone with Gerrard by Christmas.

Spot on. Except sooner than Christmas by the going of things.

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

If Beale really was the “brains” behind the system then nothing has changed so far, wonder if Beale sets up QPR similar?

Just checked the QPR result from Saturday, they won 3-2, and LiveScore says they played a 4-2-3-1, so completely different than our system.

Edited by duke313

Â