Neil Critchley

Villaphan04

So a random dude from the championship is the one we are supposed to put our hopes on to get ourselves out of this mess? 

How about having  a top class head coach who can actually coach and improve players? There's an idea. 

On 20/08/2022 at 15:53, Pissflaps said:

So what do the coaches actually do on a daily basis because nothing actually gets any better. Defense is awful..set pieces are awful.

Remember what Ritchie De Laet said about training under Bruce? He’d kick a ball 30ft into the air and shout “Lets play!”

I imagine it’s something similar, but with the PR guy kicking the ball and Gerrard in office texting Carra.

i dont blame Critchley tbh.

Gerrard is the one thats wants to play with the midfielders at full back, full backs as wingers, no natural wingers c***.

I guess Critchley is just told by gerrard, "i want to play like this", and he and the other coaches are just trying their best to make a s*** tactic work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Gerrard is the one thats wants to play with the midfielders at full back, full backs as wingers, no natural wingers c***.

I guess Critchley is just told by gerrard, "i want to play like this", and he and the other coaches are just trying their best to make a s*** tactic work.

Wouldn't a good/strong assistant push back though and say "this clearly doesn't work" ?

4 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Wouldn't a good/strong assistant push back though and say "this clearly doesn't work" ?

possibly has, we would never know if he did.

Even if he was persuaded to change, he would just pass it off publicly as his decision anyways.

Gerrard has said publicly, "i want to play my way", so i guess that although he doest do any coaching on the pitch, he is the one holding the reins in terms of "overall style", hence the way we have played since he joined.

i think we will be stuck with this style as long as Gerrard is here, unless magically one day he does a complete U turn.

Edited by MaVilla

28 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Many teams and coaches play as you describe. Some even invert their full backs and have them come inside to compact the center and actually cede the flanks. It's not really novel or weird in modern football, but our system just isn't working. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Hasn't Critchley only been working with us hands on for like 2 weeks?

Of course he shouldn't be blamed! Lol

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Shhh. Toss 'em all, it'll feel better when that ex-Burnley dude takes over. Last of the long ballers I believe? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I agree, but some seem to think he is part of the problem with regard to the wacky formation and tactics.

Critchley should be pushing back if he doesn't like what he's being asked to do.

He should walk in fact.

He's basically a club legend at Blackpool and will be in the mix for every Championship job going when he becomes available. Steven Gerrard won't be.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Honest question: Does anyone think Neil Critchley can save Gerrard's bacon?

He's only had a month or so with the players.

Not unless he’s allowed to change the system, it’s clearly Gerrard’s system as even Beale at QPR doesn’t play the same formation 

• Thanks 1

Alarm bells for me was the Critchley interview when he came on board  Nice guy and he clearly did a good job at Blackpool but he didnt come across as someone particularly inspiring or commanding to me. Gerrard himself is a charisma vacuum so i think you need a bit of personality to get ideas across. Also, between them they are complete rookies, Critchley with a couple of years at Blackpool and Gerrard with 3 years at Rangers where he hand his hand held the whole time coming up against the likes of Klopp, Conte, Guardiola ffs but also the likes of Potter, Franks, Moyes, Howe Lage etc, basically everyone in the league bar Fat Frank! Disaster.

• Like 1

Â