Neil Critchley

Villaphan04

Still seems bizarre to me he was sacked with the rest of Gerrards staff. I know he knew Gerrard a bit from his Liverpool youth team coach days but he felt more like a Villa hire at the time than a Gerrard staffer, and even a potential successor if it came down to it given he was coaching well at championship level already. And in the end they didn’t even want to keep him on to bridge the gap till a new appointment or for continuity? What a bloody waste of money. I hope in the future we foster a structure where more coaches are club appointments, barring the 2 or 3 core management staff.

8 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Still seems bizarre to me he was sacked with the rest of Gerrards staff. I know he knew Gerrard a bit from his Liverpool youth team coach days but he felt more like a Villa hire at the time than a Gerrard staffer, and even a potential successor if it came down to it given he was coaching well at championship level already. And in the end they didn’t even want to keep him on to bridge the gap till a new appointment or for continuity? What a bloody waste of money. I hope in the future we foster a structure where more coaches are club appointments, barring the 2 or 3 core management staff.

Dan Bardell and a few others have alluded to a potential "us and them" between the clubs coaching staff and Gerrards. It was extremely noticeable the team ran over to our set piece coach after Baileys goal, and noticeable that when our "attacking coach" Danks was coaching we looks quick and fluid going forward. Clear the Critchley was part of the Gerrard camp, not a "club appointment".

13 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Did he get the job due to his Liverpool link? Only realised he was in charged for their glorious 0-5 defeat to Aston Villa B Team in the League Cup a few years back.

What a total waste of space and time.

he got the job because Gerrard wanted him, probably due to a good relationship that was built up when they were both at Liverpool.

9 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

He was a 100% a Gerrard hire, they were coaches together at Liverpool.

4 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

Did he get the job due to his Liverpool link? Only realised he was in charged for their glorious 0-5 defeat to Aston Villa B Team in the League Cup a few years back.

What a total waste of space and time.

Liverpool fielded their academy for that match due to other commitments, Critchley was the academy manager.

• Like 1

On 24/10/2022 at 00:09, mikeyjavfc said:

I hope in the future we foster a structure where more coaches are club appointments, barring the 2 or 3 core management staff.

I think if you want the best success you need the manager to choose who they want. Yes at academy level we have structure in place, but we’ve seen in the past of managers don’t get their staff it go really wrong.

• 1 month later...

Guy was quick to walk out on Blackpool to become an assistant somewhere else, I doubt they want another fiasco like the Beale issue

If QPR have sense they will not hire him or any of the other cronies under Gerrard

Â