Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Konsa needs to do more with the ball before he can surpass Mings, at the moment he is way too safe on the ball. 

That's probably by tactical instruction, not really of his own doing.

If he himself wanted to do what Mings does and ping long balls or progressive passes, I'm sure he could at least try, or at least the manager could instruct him to do so. The reason he's not doing so is because the manager just doesn't want him to do so. Maybe that's just because he's not very good at them though. Who knows.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

7 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

That's probably by tactical instruction, not really of his own doing.

If he himself wanted to do what Mings does and ping long balls or progressive passes, I'm sure he could at least try, or at least the manager could instruct him to do so. The reason he's not doing so is because the manager just doesn't want him to do so. Maybe that's just because he's not very good at them though. Who knows.

Hause came on for Konsa vs United and was pinging the ball about 

40 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s an interesting debate and one that I’m not sure on myself. If we were to buy a top class centre half, who would he replace in our starting XI?

Mings would lose the shirt when he makes mistakes and I expect he would find it very difficult to get it back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why the want on here to sell current starting players or squad players getting game time. This current team is looking good under Gerrard so far, so assuming this continues I'd rather we carefully build on that in the summer rather than ripping it up. 16 points from 10 games under Gerrard is European form over a season, and conceding 12 goals in this time and 3 clean sheets is more than reasonable from the defence, especially when 4 of the 10 games and 8 of the 12 goals were against the current top 4.

There'll be a decision to make on Mings soon enough because his contract is up in 2024 and he'd be 31 at that point. As it stands, I'd personally be planning to keep him a few years longer than that, at very least as a back up option depending on where the club is at. By that point we might be looking at the likes of Feeney, Smith, Bogarde, etc. getting minutes. They'd be 19 turning 20 in 2024/25 season, same age as Cahill when he started getting game time, and I'd rather we had someone like Mings in the team than a new signing that might block their progression.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe we should start a "Mings or Konsa" thread and let the eternal whirlpool of a conversation have its own space. Personally, I think they're about equal. I like them both.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

Talk of selling Bailey, Sanson, etc is crazy to me as well. All good, adaptable players with European football experience hitting or heading into their peak years, with reasonable contracts left. Us having players of this calibre as back up to or competing for the first XI is exactly what we need if we are wanting to push into the top 6. Traore is perhaps the one that we my look to move either this summer or next, if only becuase his contract is up in 2024, the same time as JPB and hopefully he's pushing for first team and re-signed by that point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Not sure why the want on here to sell current starting players or squad players getting game time. This current team is looking good under Gerrard so far, so assuming this continues I'd rather we carefully build on that in the summer rather than ripping it up. 16 points from 10 games under Gerrard is European form over a season, and conceding 12 goals in this time and 3 clean sheets is more than reasonable from the defence, especially when 4 of the 10 games and 8 of the 12 goals were against the current top 4.

There'll be a decision to make on Mings soon enough because his contract is up in 2024 and he'd be 31 at that point. As it stands, I'd personally be planning to keep him a few years longer than that, at very least as a back up option depending on where the club is at. By that point we might be looking at the likes of Feeney, Smith, Bogarde, etc. getting minutes. They'd be 19 turning 20 in 2024/25 season, same age as Cahill when he started getting game time, and I'd rather we had someone like Mings in the team than a new signing that might block their progression.

I agree with this tbh.

The difficulty arises when your immediate form has an impact on holding onto the youngsters.

I'd be comfortable with getting a CB in the summer just to bridge the gap

Edited by MSvillain
Shitty autocorrect

In my view, the correct squad building approach would be to get a left sided centre back (or ideally comfortable on both sides) to understudy/rotate with Mings, then sell Mings next year with a year left on his contract. With Mings performs so well to the point we want to extend his contract, then we haven't lost anything.

Barring injuries and such, the four main transfer decisions for the starting eleven I see for the summer are:

• Defensive Midfielder
  • Future CB partner to Konsa
  • Make a decision on Striker Situation
  • Coutinho or new #10
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Not sure why the want on here to sell current starting players or squad players getting game time.

The reason is that selling and buying new players is always more of an excitement kick than sticking with players you have, even if thy are playing well. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

The reason is that selling and buying new players is always more of an excitement kick than sticking with players you have, even if thy are playing well. 

Really? I think people on here are just acutely aware that we can't simply keep spending tens of millions of pounds on players without selling a player or two every now and again. Grealish being a prime example. The only reason we've spent as much as we have on the likes of Coutinho, Digne and Bailey is because of that £100m cash injection.

Unfortunately, you can't just horde players. If we have to sell a player like Cash or Watkins for £35/40/50m or whatever the fee ends up being, then so be it if it allows the club to go out and buy a player that they think will improve the side. I don't think many on here would be complaining if we sold Cash to Atletico for £40m and then went out and spent that on Lamptey. 

It's not just about signing players, it's about selling them too when they're either at the height of their value or because of age/contract status. We've not been very good at this over the years but I think we're getting wise to it. Don't forget, Liverpool sold Suarez and Coutinho in their prime once upon a time and they aren't doing too badly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indigo said:

For what it's worth Mings has been better than Konsa in most areas statistically this season, from in possession to defensively. For me they work quite well as a partnership and I agree there isn't much between them, just that Mings has far higher highs and lower lows whereas Konsa is a more steady hand that doesn't take much responsibility, which is why it can really be felt when Mings isn't there with him.

If either is replaced it'd take a helluva player to do it so I wouldn't be complaining either way, although I think it's an easier feat to do so with Konsa than Mings for the moment.

I always think Mings looks huge in comparison to Konsa. I prefer the look of a big CB but that said the game is not about how the players look but rather how effective they are 

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s an interesting debate and one that I’m not sure on myself. If we were to buy a top class centre half, who would he replace in our starting XI?

If you asked me 12 months ago I'd have easily said they would replace Mings, but don't think konsa has had a great season so far, very tough call which one would be replaced, think it would come down to who was available, were they right sided CB or left sided

I think at some point we need to buy a strong up coming Centre Half such as Leicester did with Fofona or Southampton with Salisu. A player that is happy to wait for his chance but once gets it he does so well it would be hard to dislodge him.  At the moment if Hause and Mings are fit they’ll always start.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2022 at 14:58, avfcDJ said:

Bailey will go, imo.

might play him in Coutinho's or Buendia's place as a sub or injuries or suspensions.

We can't operate with just 11 players.

they and we have to get used to fighting for shirts.

43 minutes ago, pete101 said:

If you asked me 12 months ago I'd have easily said they would replace Mings, but don't think konsa has had a great season so far, very tough call which one would be replaced, think it would come down to who was available, were they right sided CB or left sided

I see Mings as the dominant Centre back and Konsa as the sweeper type....both different IMO like McNaught and Evans.

I think its hard to say, one is better than the other........at what?...They do slightly different things, for me.

• Like 2