Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

On 05/02/2022 at 18:48, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Seeing Kalinic’s name is shocking. He must genuinely be one of the longest serving members of the squad now.

Nah Shay Given has still got another 15 years left on his contract, with an option for another 5. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, useless said:

The summer is when we start buying £60m plus players. Our owners have looked at each other and said 'we're on another level now'.

I think that very much depends on us finishing this season well, to make us attractive to £60m players. 

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I agree. We’ve got to a stage where we probably only need 2, proper top class players in the summer and we’ve got an excellent side.

All depends what we are aiming for.  You can argue, depending on our goal that we could do with a top class central defender, DCM and/or striker for top six.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I agree. We’ve got to a stage where we probably only need 2, proper top class players in the summer and we’ve got an excellent side.

Assuming no significant outgoings. Which imo is a big assumption.

7 hours ago, useless said:

The summer is when we start buying £60m plus players. Our owners have looked at each other and said 'we're on another level now'.

I don’t see this at all.

we are IMO three quality additions away from a genuine top 6 quality team.

DCM, CB, RB.

That will cost circa 100m, less with some outgoings and we should see how this team develops over a couple of years before making serious additions to it and to see how some of these youngsters come through.

The exception to that would be when someone comes along and offers money for a player well in excess of their replacement cost like Man Utd and McGinn for 60m

Fans need to remember 60m pound players are a whole different ball game to players half their cost. They demand 10 million a year in wages, if they don’t meet requirements then the write offs are huge not just in terms of the fee but the wages they can no longer justify further lowering the fee, just look at NDombele for example.

Then factor in who you are competing against the for player, the fact we don’t have champions league football to offer and you are left with the more long shot players of that value.

it would be complete insanity to even try it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

I don’t see this at all.

DCM, CB, RB.

That will cost circa 100m, less with some outgoings and we should see how this team develops over a couple of years before making serious additions to it and to see how some of these youngsters come through.

The exception to that would be when someone comes along and offers money for a player well in excess of their replacement cost like Man Utd and McGinn for 60m

Fans need to remember 60m pound players are a whole different ball game to players half their cost. They demand 10 million a year in wages, if they don’t meet requirements then the write offs are huge not just in terms of the fee but the wages they can no longer justify further lowering the fee, just look at NDombele for example.

Then factor in who you are competing against the for player, the fact we don’t have champions league football to offer and you are left with the more long shot players of that value.

Id add a striker to your list of players we need, but that's by the by.

Other than that Id say that's spot on. I'd be absolutely stunned if we dropped £60m on a player. We arent going to go from £35m to £60m+ in one window. I'd say we're looking at better "value" players from the continent for circa £40m rather than paying the Premier League/English club premium on a player like Buendia, Watkins or Ings

• Like 2

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

I don’t see this at all.

DCM, CB, RB.

I too think c 60m is a huge gamble, when you see players not fulfilling their promise.

you have to be very sure to commit to that kind of fee. imo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd love us to sign Conor Gallagher in the Summer but can't see it happening. I think he's a very good player. 

I like him but think Chelsea would want an eye watering figure in order to fund their next extravagent purchase that they don't need 

Could see it being in the range of £50-65m which would be mental 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I like him but think Chelsea would want an eye watering figure in order to fund their next extravagent purchase that they don't need 

Could see it being in the range of £50-65m which would be mental 

Even if we could afford him we wouldnt take him. We have far too much young talent coming through in that area. I believe he is 22 this month.3 years older than Chuk Chrisene Aaron and Tim. If they develop like the club think they can then they can be his equal

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd love us to sign Conor Gallagher in the Summer but can't see it happening. I think he's a very good player. 

Save yer money and watch Ramsey and Chukwuemeka develop into better players. 

• Like 4

He wouldn't really suit our team as a central midfielder as they have to be more disciplined and help cover for the fullbacks, he's looked more impressive this season as has more license to attack so has more goals and as a result is getting noticed more, but in terms of all round midfield play I don't think he's as good as Jacob Ramsey.

Edited by useless

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

i agree he is a great player, but he's effectively an 8, so who would he replace?, we are more stacked in the 8 position than any other in the squad right now.

Im not saying i wouldnt like him, but i also think we prob have issues elsewhere in the team before we improve the no.8 slot? (if we are only planning to go big on 2-3 players)

Although......wouldnt mind it if we did a major overhaul this summer, with say 6-10 being sold/released, then 6-8 in (1 of them being Gallagher!)

Edited by MaVilla

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Although......wouldnt mind it if we did a major overhaul this summer, with say 6-10 being sold/released, then 6-8 in (1 of them being Gallagher!)

We can't (and won't I imagine) keep doing this every summer. I think we'll see more out, the fringe players, but can't see many new ones coming in. 

Just now, Xela said:

We can't (and won't I imagine) keep doing this every summer. I think we'll see more out, the fringe players, but can't see many new ones coming in. 

yeah, well if thats the case, the last thing we probably need is an 8! (assuming 2-3 big signings coming in)

Just now, MaVilla said:

yeah, well if thats the case, the last thing we probably need is an 8! (assuming 2-3 big signings coming in)

I think (and its just my opinion and i'm barely correct :D) we'll see a 6 and maybe a 9. Plus Coutinho signing as well. 

Possibly an 8, but only if Luiz leaves.