Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

41 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I honestly don't know...that's the hard part! 

Sasa Kalajdzic is a very promising young guy.

Also, he's not a striker. He's a winger/foward but Domenico Berardi would be a fun addition. 

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

would Cheick Doucoure, be a summer option at CDM?

Yes, a better version of Cheick Doucoure would be brilliant😉

But on a serious note, I'd take him as back up to our 1st choice CDM.

Even more seriously, I quite like the other Doucoure at Everton, a no nonense DM who has enery to burn, gets forward and back and can break things up a treat, the sort we need in some games but not all of them.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

would Cheick Doucoure, be a summer option at CDM?

If he was, I don’t know why we’ve let two windows pass without getting him in. Very good player and amazed he’s still at Lens.

22 hours ago, PerryBarrPet said:

OK so who are the contenders? Do you think SG wants an out and out 6 or is it a box to box 8 who can sit and dominate?

Based on our alleged targets on Jan...I have no idea!

I don't really mind either way as long as he has a plan to play them.

Personally I prefer a technically able sitting midfielder with the energetic ball winners buzzing around in front trying to win the ball further up the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Even more seriously, I quite like the other Doucoure at Everton, a no nonense DM who has enery to burn, gets forward and back and can break things up a treat, the sort we need in some games but not all of them.

Abdoulaye seems closer to the box-to-box type. We are pretty stacked in the two '8' positions with McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey, Luiz if a DM comes in, Chukwuemeka as well, so not sure he's what we are after. Not disciplined positionally or careful enough with the ball.

Cheick looks possibly more the kind of player we 'd need. Worth looking at his stats at Lens vs Bissouma at Lille before he went to Brighton. Cheick and Bissouma very similar in a lot of areas, though Bissouma was possibly more mobile a player then than Doucoure is now (more varied touch areas but very similar tackle area numbers, higher progressive carries and passed received maybe suggest operating higher up the field). Cheick passing numbers are better perhaps due in part to area of operation, but then oddly Cheick's creative stats are marignally better too (eg. SCA, xA, key passes, passes in final 1/3 and penalty area). Also worth look at Bissouma at Lille vs Bissouma now at Brighton. More disciplined/conservative positionally, much better passing number but much less creative. Improved on already very good defensive numbers.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Abdoulaye seems closer to the box-to-box type. We are pretty stacked in the two '8' positions with McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey, Luiz if a DM comes in, Chukwuemeka as well, so not sure he's what we are after. Not disciplined positionally or careful enough with the ball.

Cheick looks possibly more the kind of player we 'd need. Worth looking at his stats at Lens vs Bissouma at Lille before he went to Brighton. Cheick and Bissouma very similar in a lot of areas, though Bissouma was possibly more mobile a player then than Doucoure is now (more varied touch areas but very similar tackle area numbers, higher progressive carries and passed received maybe suggest operating higher up the field). Cheick passing numbers are better perhaps due in part to area of operation, but then oddly Cheick's creative stats are marignally better too (eg. SCA, xA, key passes, passes in final 1/3 and penalty area). Also worth look at Bissouma at Lille vs Bissouma now at Brighton. More disciplined/conservative positionally, much better passing number but much less creative. Improved on already very good defensive numbers.

Thanks, he wouldn't cost a fortune either, something we are hopefully getting better at is finding a 15m Bisssouma instead of spending 40+ on Bissouma. 👍

Just saw that we considered Marcelo but opted for Chambers after Marcelo had interest from Saudi Arabia, I know he’s a bit old but to even know we’ve had such players on our list means the summer could be really exciting

• Like 1

15 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

I don't know about better (or realistic, for that matter), but Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo) and Raul de Tomas (Espanyol) play for teams who don't traditionally qualify for the CL. Jonathan David is a tremendous prospect, and Lille are not doing quite so well this season, but I take it he is their second striker, not their primary striker?

I know we were closely linked to Jonathan David in the Summer, and Arsenal were this window - he is clearly catching the eye, but whether he is better than Watkins or Ings is questionable?

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't know who he is but doing Fbref comparison on Bissouma, Guido Rodriguez from Real Betis looks decent for DM stats. Ranks above Ndidi and Phillips in many categories. Maybe friends with the 2 Emis

Can’t hurt to have another Argentine!

I think it's important we move on a valuable asset like Targett, and then one of our sellable starters in Luiz, Watkins or Cash. That injection in booked profit free's us up to make quite a few signings. 

If we have Hickey, Chambers and KKH for right back we should be good to go in that Right Back position. I see CF, RB & CDM as our current problem areas. We also lack any competition as CB. So all 4 positions need to be solved.

If Archer proves good enough as 3rd CF next season then we can get in a CF and potentially sell Watkins/Ings. 

Bissouma in Luiz out is another one. We could loan Sanson out though, to get game time if we keep Luiz. 

We just do need to move on one of our current starters this summer for 30-40m+

• Like 1

16 hours ago, samjp26 said:

Just saw that we considered Marcelo but opted for Chambers after Marcelo had interest from Saudi Arabia, I know he’s a bit old but to even know we’ve had such players on our list means the summer could be really exciting

Not the sameMarcelo, apparently its a 34 year old that signed for Bordeaux and couldn't get a game for Lyon this season 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think it's important we move on a valuable asset like Targett, and then one of our sellable starters in Luiz, Watkins or Cash. That injection in booked profit free's us up to make quite a few signings. 

If we have Hickey, Chambers and KKH for right back we should be good to go in that Right Back position. I see CF, RB & CDM as our current problem areas. We also lack any competition as CB. So all 4 positions need to be solved.

If Archer proves good enough as 3rd CF next season then we can get in a CF and potentially sell Watkins/Ings. 

Bissouma in Luiz out is another one. We could loan Sanson out though, to get game time if we keep Luiz. 

Why do we need to make quite a few signings? If we continue as we've started under Gerrard for the rest of this season, in my opinion the current squad will have shown enough be be challenging for Europe without drastic changes. Would it not be better to make one or maybe two big signings in key areas and retaining what we've already got, rather than having a larger turnover that could be disruptive?

Everything suggests we are looking to retain Luiz and have little intention of selling Cash either. I personally don't think we'd look to move Watkins on either. That might depend on how the rest of this season goes but I'm hoping and expecting he gets plenty of game time leading the line for the remainder and will show he's worth keeping hold of.

With Chambers in, I can't see anything happing at centre back without either Konsa or Mings being sold. Similar to Targett, neither of those will want to sit on the bench. If we finish strongly we aren't messing around with the core of our defence.

If we are looking at two players for every position, the only requirements next season will be cover at GK and LB and a first choice midfielder for the '6' role. I can't see us looking to do much more that withouts sales from the current first team that I can't see us pushing for.

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'm with you here.

Personally, I'd move on one of Ings or Watkins. I don't think Gerrard really fancies either (complete hunch) and I think he'll have an idea of what kind of striker he wants. I honestly don't know who will come in for Ings given his age and wages, but Watkins would command a decent fee. If we were offered £45m+ for Watkins, I think we'd sell and perhaps £20m+ for Ings would be good business. I don't know if Villa would move both on as we need a solid back up. Not sure Archer is quite at the required level yet? 

I really don't want to sell Cash as I think he's a really good player with a fantastic attitude. That said, I think Gerrard may fancy someone with a bit more output in the final third - Like Digne on the left.

So, I think as a bare minimum, the club will look at the starting XI in the Summer and aim to do this...

-------------------------------------New---------------------------------------
-----------------Coutinho-------------------Buendia--------------------
-------Ramsey-----------------------------------------------McGinn-----
------------------------------------New-----------------------------------------
Digne--------------Mings---------------Konsa------------------Cash
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------Martinez-------------------------------------

We obviously need players competing for places so in that regard, we have....
GK - Olsen
LB - New (Hickey)
CB - Chambers
CB - Hause
RB - KHH
CM 1 - Luiz
CM 2 - Nakamba
ACM 1 - Bailey
ACM 2 - Chukwuemeka
ST - Archer / Ings / Watkins

Personally, I think the club will look to move the following players on permanently....
Sanson
Traore
Trezeguet
El Ghazi
Watkins/Ings

This is all subject to contract situation though. For example, if Luiz doesn't sign a new deal, we'll sell him for £20m and perhaps keep Sanson. If Chuk doesn't sign a new deal, then we may need to keep Traore as back up or look for another no.10. If Coutinho doesn't impress, we will then bring in another starting no.10.

I maintain that we are 2 players away from competing for Europe. If we get a really good striker (recommendations please) in and a holding midfielder like a Phillips or a Bissouma, we'll really challenge. Ramsey will be a year older, as will Chukwuemeka. We're really starting to put together a strong squad. 

This Summer is going to be exciting. We'll finally be rid of the players that clearly aren't capable of firing us into Europe and we'll spend big on players that will. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Why do we need to make quite a few signings? If we continue as we've started under Gerrard for the rest of this season, in my opinion the current squad will have shown enough be be challenging for Europe without drastic changes. Would it not be better to make one or maybe two big signings in key areas and retaining what we've already got, rather than having a larger turnover that could be disruptive?

Everything suggests we are looking to retain Luiz and have little intention of selling Cash either. I personally don't think we'd look to move Watkins on either. That might depend on how the rest of this season goes but I'm hoping and expecting he gets plenty of game time leading the line for the remainder and will show he's worth keeping hold of.

With Chambers in, I can't see anything happing at centre back without either Konsa or Mings being sold. Similar to Targett, neither of those will want to sit on the bench. If we finish strongly we aren't messing around with the core of our defence.

If we are looking at two players for every position, the only requirements next season will be cover at GK and LB and a first choice midfielder for the '6' role. I can't see us looking to do much more that withouts sales from the current first team that I can't see us pushing for.

I agree, we are getting close to becoming a bloated squad. I would hope that we are only looking to bring in quality or potential and it should be alongs the lines of one in - one out. 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Personally, I think the club will look to move the following players on permanently....
Sanson
Traore
Trezeguet
El Ghazi
Watkins/Ings

Issue I see here is with Sanson. Without him playing regular football he's not a saleable asset really. 

Trez, El Ghazi and Guilbert all will be sold for what fee's we can get and none on restrictive wages so should be fine to sell

I think we need Traore. Coutinho isn't the most robust, nor is Bailey. Chukwuemeka isn't experienced enough and likely more an 8. So I'd keep Bert (who plays CF for Burkina Faso). 

Ings is difficult one as he's on high wages (120k per week) and we'd need to sell him at 17m to break even on amortisation. He's a reliable experienced Pro so he's probably best staying at Villa vs a breakeven at best sale.

That leaves Watkins. I know deep down Gerrard wants a CF who finishes the chances the two 10s create. He wants a 20 a season clinical finisher who's goals are higher than his xG. Watkins is brilliant in a system where the goals come from inside forwards. Take United when they play 4 2 3 1 and Cavani's workrate is for the attacking 3 to score. He's brilliant in that system. Watkins is saleable given the fee he'd command. Arsenal need 2 CFs in summer (total idiots leaving themselves that short). 

I think Luiz & Cash are also saleable if Hickey/CDM are signed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Issue I see here is with Sanson. Without him playing regular football he's not a saleable asset really. 

Trez, El Ghazi and Guilbert all will be sold for what fee's we can get and none on restrictive wages so should be fine to sell

I think we need Traore. Coutinho isn't the most robust, nor is Bailey. Chukwuemeka isn't experienced enough and likely more an 8. So I'd keep Bert (who plays CF for Burkina Faso). 

Ings is difficult one as he's on high wages (120k per week) and we'd need to sell him at 17m to break even on amortisation. He's a reliable experienced Pro so he's probably best staying at Villa vs a breakeven at best sale.

That leaves Watkins. I know deep down Gerrard wants a CF who finishes the chances the two 10s create. He wants a 20 a season clinical finisher who's goals are higher than his xG. Watkins is brilliant in a system where the goals come from inside forwards. Take United when they play 4 2 3 1 and Cavani's workrate is for the attacking 3 to score. He's brilliant in that system. Watkins is saleable given the fee he'd command. Arsenal need 2 CFs in summer (total idiots leaving themselves that short). 

I think Luiz & Cash are also saleable if Hickey/CDM are signed.

I know Hickey is two footed, however he is primarily a LB so I'd feel a little bit uncomfortable having him as a starter at RB, obviously he may suprise me though!