Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Don't know how he gets a free pass from you when you've written off Sanson and Traore, the latter with 2nd most goals per minute and 2nd most assists per minute in the squad last season. Sanson will prove you wrong. Bookmark this. 

Traore is rubbish most of the time and likely to be sold in the Summer. I really hope Sanson does prove me wrong. I don’t think he’s a bad player, I just don’t think he’s going to dislodge Ramsey and McGinn. 

I’m not giving Bailey a free pass, I just don’t think he’s had enough time yet. You could argue the same for Sanson I suppose but there is a reason two managers haven’t favoured him and that could be because he isn’t quite up to it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

You could argue the same for Sanson I suppose but there is a reason two managers haven’t favoured him and that could be because he isn’t quite up to it. 

Multiple injury setbacks. Not due to not being favoured 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I don't see Konsa going anywhere. Granted, he's had an up and down season so far but I think he's the best CB in our squad and is generally solid. I don't know what you would class as an upgrade on Konsa considering his age and growth the last 2 years. He is in my opinion the present and future of our back line and England's. Class player.   

TBH, I think our fans overrate Konsa and underrate Mings.  If he was as good of a defender as some think, Southgate would have at least called him up into a preliminary squad at some point to get a better look at him.  He is a good rotation option for a team finishing in the European places, but not a nailed on starter.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

I like Konsa and Cash, but they're now the weaknesses in our team.  Konsa's stats are average for a Premier League defender and Cash doesn't contribute enough going forward.  A big upgrade at central defender will help more than spending a lot on a DM, IMO.  If Athletico is truly interested in signing Cash, we need to capitalize on it and upgrade at fullback.  KKH really seems to have something about him, so if he continues to impress on loan, he needs to be around the first team challenging for game time next season.  

Konsa is better than Mings, younger with a higher ceiling. It is Mings I would replace.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

TBH, I think our fans overrate Konsa and underrate Mings.  If he was as good of a defender as some think, Southgate would have at least called him up into a preliminary squad at some point to get a better look at him.  He is a good rotation option for a team finishing in the European places, but not a nailed on starter.  

Southgate is a clown.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Traore is rubbish most of the time and likely to be sold in the Summer. I really hope Sanson does prove me wrong. I don’t think he’s a bad player, I just don’t think he’s going to dislodge Ramsey and McGinn. 

I’m not giving Bailey a free pass, I just don’t think he’s had enough time yet. You could argue the same for Sanson I suppose but there is a reason two managers haven’t favoured him and that could be because he isn’t quite up to it. 

I wouldn't sell him at all he is an excellent option as a squad player.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thunderball said:

I know we were closely linked to Jonathan David in the Summer, and Arsenal were this window - he is clearly catching the eye, but whether he is better than Watkins or Ings is questionable?

Well, exactly. That's why I said I don't know if my suggestions are in fact better than Watkins and Ings. I'm not as doom-and-gloom about them as other fans (and Watkins was one of my favourite players last year).

But I suggested David anyway because he was an example of a non-CL striker we could possibly convince to join us, as he does play for a team who are struggling to qualify for Europe. As you mention, we have already been linked to him last summer, and I just think his speed, off-the-ball movement, ability to pass and combine with teammates, and obvious goalscoring ability gives him the potential to be better than Watkins and Ings within our system of play, which relies a lot on fluidity and quick interplay between midfield and forward lines to be successful. Not a dead cert by any means - who is in this game? - but I hope we are considering him.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Konsa needs to do more with the ball before he can surpass Mings, at the moment he is way too safe on the ball. 

Defending Konsa is far more reliable though, and has a higher current level despite Mings' edge in the air.

It's over exaggerated with Mings, but gaffs do happen around him. On the ball, you can see the errors coming as he hesitates. Technically he's not particularly sound I wouldn't say, looks wobbly quite often even when passing triangles with Martinez and Doug or a full back come off successfully. He drops back and plays people on side often when I don't think that can possibly be the plan. Just a few issues there I don't see in Konsa as often.

Under Smith, it was a clear directive to me for Mings to be the one playing it forward IMO. That's stunted Konsa's stats somewhat, if you're trying to compare passing numbers. Perhaps is wasn't, not sure why it would be, because I'm pretty sure Konsa could clip the ball in the general direction of Watkins if he wanted to. 

You can definitely see more of both carrying the ball out under Gerrard so far.

8 minutes ago, picicata said:

If we are replacing either of Mings or Konsa then we're going to be spending serious money as they are both very good defenders and getting better than them won't come cheap.

Agree.

I think Konsa would be the subject of many many tasty bids if he ended up on the bench.

I don't think Mings would get many offers that would make sense for us to accept, but he's the one I can see missing out.

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Defending Konsa is far more reliable though, and has a higher current level despite Mings' edge in the air.

It's over exaggerated with Mings, but gaffs do happen around him. On the ball, you can see the errors coming as he hesitates. Technically he's not particularly sound I wouldn't say, looks wobbly quite often even when passing triangles with Martinez and Doug or a full back come off successfully. He drops back and plays people on side often when I don't think that can possibly be the plan. Just a few issues there I don't see in Konsa as often.

Under Smith, it was a clear directive to me for Mings to be the one playing it forward IMO. That's stunted Konsa's stats somewhat, if you're trying to compare passing numbers. Perhaps is wasn't, not sure why it would be, because I'm pretty sure Konsa could clip the ball in the general direction of Watkins if he wanted to. 

You can definitely see more of both carrying the ball out under Gerrard so far.

I do think Konsa can be as good on the ball and showed some good passing when he played at right back. I am not sure why he has become more hesitant but it is probably costing him England caps and it will certainly cost him being wanted by a top 6 team if we dont get there ourselves

Hause for example came on vs United and was trying to play out from the back so I am not sure its a managerial decision and I dont see Konsa playing them passes

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

A thousand times this. They both have obvious flaws however (and I love them both). But I strongly suspect our center backs are the next positions that will either need to improve to fit into the new system or get replaced by Gerrard. 

Tyrone's occasional gaff is not his flaw, that happens to a lot of defenders including Konsa. The biggest flaw he has is his distribution in the new system. The opposition often lets him have the ball to distribute out but will press other players, there is a reason for that. The good news, is distribution is something you can work on and improve. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Just out of curiosity. What could possibly make you think that?

Take every technical aspect of being a PL centre half.

I think Mings is better in the air and nothing else. And Konsa is very good in the air.

• Confused 1