Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

Kerr Smith, Bogarde, and Feeney have potential, those are the future. Chambers is basically a direct replacement for Tuanzebe, because of his versatility we could still buy another centre-back in the summer, and there could still be room in the squad for him as a sort of utility player in the squad that can cover several positions. If it doesn't quite work out we could probably sell him for a decent profit, or make money via loan fees, as I'm sure promotion chasing clubs, or those trying to avoid relegation would be interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Buy someone with ability and potential that can come in and kick on?

Maybe that player isn't available at the moment?  At the moment we don't have a right-footed centre back if Konsa gets injured.  We don't have a right back with PL experience as back up for when Cash gets injured.  Chambers is definitely a better option than no-one.  It is a big ask to promote our youngsters - would rather they get some good experience playing first team football so that they can be kicking on next season / the season after.  In the meantime maybe we can get Calum back to the level of player who represented England - or at least get him back to being an option we can sell next summer for a profit.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Of course he's not better than Mings or Konsa, he hasn't been purchased to played in front of them. He's cover. 

To replace our starting centre backs you probably need to be paying £35m-£40m as a minimum? We can't spend that money on every position so quickly. 

So when Ming's / Konsa gets injured. We have a player to slot in - who isn't as good.

Progress - but not as we know it.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

So when Ming's / Konsa gets injured. We have a player to slot in - who isn't as good.

Well, it is the custom for backup players to not be as good as the starters. That's why they're not starting.
Having somebody who can do a competent job if called upon instead of a kid or nobody is progress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Probably 50k on a 27 year old who's not going to improve not going to increase in value. Has been pretty rank every time I've watched him.

Sure he got Fulhams POTS. They got relegated. Boro. They got relegated.

He must have averaged about 10 games a season at Arsenal at best.

This isn't a good use of funds. We aren't Arsenal. We aren't in Europe. We don't need back up players of this value and they won't make us kick on 

We need a sub CB. I can't imagine Thiago Silva or Varane were going to come here to sit on our bench. This is a good signing. 

• Like 1

Decent cover at this stage of our progression. In a couple of years, if all goes well, we will be replacing Mings and possibly Konsa. I had high hopes for Konsa, but I am beginning to feel that he is not improving as I thought he would, and may also need to be upgraded.

I think Calum might have a higher ceiling then many on here think, a fully fit CC is a good player. 

Hope he surprises the lot of us and he might well do under SG and this coaching team. Good luck to him 

Edited by Phil Silvers

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

I bet you were stewing when we signed that Olsen guy.

Some being quite downbeat on this one. I think it's a very good signing all things considered. He's a very solid backup in his prime and is used to playing at a very high level. I won't use the e(xperience) word because that doesn't guarantee quality.  He's backup on Konsa's side and can play right back and defensive mid. Not that the latter would be needed but it shows it's a canny signing. Free transfer according to John Percy. And who doesn't love an out of the blue transfer :)  Four centrebacks now. Happy days.

Now if we can somehow get a defensive mid, this will be one of the best transfer windows ever. The one thing in all of this that doesn't yet make sense, but there are still 3 days to sort it, is the fact we've sent our 3rd & 4th choice strikers out on loan and are left with Ollie and Ings. But that's for another thread.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I think Calum might have a higher ceiling then many on here think, a fully fit CC is a good player. 

Hope he surprises the lot of us and he might well do under SG and this coaching team. Good luck to him 

Yes I think so to, I can definitely see him coming on to close a few games out at DM he’s very skilful and composed on the ball.

• Like 1

He's only just 27, has PL experience, can cover a number of positions, is a free transfer, and has played for England from U17 through to the full national team.

I don't see any drawbacks with this transfer. I'm much more comfortable having Chambers and Hause as a backup CB pairing than having to partner Hause with Feeney or Smith if both Konsa and Mings are injured / suspended.

Also, as the deal is so cheap it means that we will have less of a need to balance the books by selling one of our other first teamers.

Edited by jacketspuds

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Some being quite downbeat on this one. I think it's a very good signing all things considered. He's a very solid backup in his prime and is used to playing at a very high level. I won't use the e(xperience) word because that doesn't guarantee quality.  He's backup on Konsa's side and can play right back and defensive mid. Not that the latter would be needed but it shows it's a canny signing. Free transfer according to John Percy. And who doesn't love an out of the blue transfer :)  Four centrebacks now. Happy days.

Now if we can somehow get a defensive mid, this will be one of the best transfer windows ever. The one thing in all of this that doesn't yet make sense, but there are still 3 days to sort it, is the fact we've sent our 3rd & 4th choice strikers out on loan and are left with Ollie and Ings. But that's for another thread.

I agree, having a player who has over 20+ Premier League games at DM, CB & RB for Arsenal. Has played for England and has had 8 games over 2 seasons in the Champions League. For Free. Excellent business I say. 

• Like 4

Â