Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

But there is still a drop in quality when Konsa/Ming's aren't available. 

So nothing against the lad himself - but I don't see much impact of this signing. 

"Impact"... you won't, see much.

Its cover, decent cover for no or little fee, keeps the powder dry for the impact signings.

Until we see him play for us, we can't evaluate, how close he is to our existing partnership....We haven't signed a Van Dijk we know that, but he covers many positions.

I suspect, you could be right.....but we have to give him a chance, to show his worth.

just another point.....what if, his joining raises the game of Mings and Konsa, is that not worthy of consideration too.

This "competition", That SG is trying to engender, is not to be sniffed at....its needed....The comfort zone had to go.

He wants 'em all fighting for that shirt, it bodes for a more competitive spirit...I am all for a happy camp, but you need that spice to liven it up too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

But there is still a drop in quality when Konsa/Ming's aren't available. 

So nothing against the lad himself - but I don't see much impact of this signing. 

Is that not the issue for most teams in the league though? Most teams have a drop off, certainly those outside of the regular CL qualifiers do.

What Chambers, and Hause, offer us is reliable, uncomplaining back up. Gerrard and team obviously feel that Mings and Konsa are good enough to get us into Europe contention and then I expect we would look for stronger players in CD so that they become the competition.

It's not an exciting signing but, assuming we have finite money and a need to stay within FFP, it seems like a sensible one to me

I have only skimmed the thread but get an idea that this signing has failed to impress a number of fans. Why do we have so little faith in our manager and his coaching staff to improve a players level of performance, be it physically, mentally, skilfully or tactically ? They appear to have done this with Nakamba why not others ? It seems that unless the player is already the ‘finished article’ there is no point in buying him..

Edited by smg

14 minutes ago, Spoony said:

My brother is a Fulham fan and he said his role was more as a defensive mid when he won their player of the season. 

Thats kinda where I see him.....without having studied him closely.

with all the little bits and pieces, injuries suspensions, etc....he could find himself having more game time, than once thought.

He could also be a very strategic player in SG's tactical shifts/adjustments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

But on the face of it - he is here to just make up the numbers - the issue is how much you think making up the numbers progresses us.

I doubt SG shares your view. Clearly a decent player with experience who wants to kick on from languishing at Arsenal. Injuries and suspensions are never far away so a versatile player will undoubtedly improve our squad. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

"Impact"... you won't, see much.

Its cover, decent cover for no or little fee, keeps the powder dry for the impact signings.

Until we see him play for us, we can't evaluate, how close he is to our existing partnership....We haven't signed a Van Dijk we know that, but he covers many positions.

I suspect, you could be right.....but we have to give him a chance, to show his worth.

just another point.....what if, his joining raises the game of Mings and Konsa, is that not worthy of consideration too.

This "competition", That SG is trying to engender, is not to be sniffed at....its needed....The comfort zone had to go.

He wants 'em all fighting for that shirt, it bodes for a more competitive spirit...I am all for a happy camp, but you need that spice to liven it up too.

Agree with all that.

But I can't agree this is some sort of stroke of genius. He was leaving Arsenal on a free at the end of season - we've picked him up and decided to give him a go - that's it really. It's not a game changer or anything like. As most people are saying he's highly unlikely to get a run of games in the first team.

Interesting that a few weeks back - Stevie G was going to bomb out the likes of hause as not good enough.....now's he's a had a new deal and we've recruited another of similar ilk.

12 minutes ago, birdman said:

I doubt SG shares your view. Clearly a decent player with experience who wants to kick on from languishing at Arsenal. Injuries and suspensions are never far away so a versatile player will undoubtedly improve our squad. 

Depends how much credence you put in "SGs" view.

• Confused 1

I think people will be surprised how many games he gets at CB ahead of Konsa. Konsa is bottom of the pile in all the passing charts for CBs. Mings not much better. 

We need to build from the back and in some games I'm sure Chambers will be preferred to Konsa

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think people will be surprised how many games he gets at CB ahead of Konsa. Konsa is bottom of the pile in all the passing charts for CBs. Mings not much better. 

We need to build from the back and in some games I'm sure Chambers will be preferred to Konsa

Well to be fair to Mings, a lot of his passes are lobs up to Watkins or Ings.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

I think hes been bought mainly as cover for Matty Cash. Gerrarrd said he wanted competition in all positions. Yes be can cover at CB too and posibly CDM but doubt if he will get much game time in that position. 

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Who has said we need to build from the back ?

Thought Stevie G was deploying full backs as wing backs ? Hence the Digne signing ?

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Who has said we need to build from the back ?

Thought Stevie G was deploying full backs as wing backs ? Hence the Digne signing ?

Gerrard wants us to play that way. It's why we are trying it so much at the moment but it's not working as well as we'd like. The midfield 3 and the 2 CBs are the ones who build from the back. The full backs are to get forward ahead of the midfield when we are in possession. 

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Gerrard wants us to play that way. It's why we are trying it so much at the moment but it's not working as well as we'd like. The midfield 3 and the 2 CBs are the ones who build from the back. The full backs are to get forward ahead of the midfield when we are in possession. 

Ok.

To me playing two defenders in attacking positions isn't building from the back.

Not that I'm on the building from the back bandwagon - never seems to work unless you have resources like man city or Barca in years gone by.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Ok.

To me playing two defenders in attacking positions isn't building from the back.

Not that I'm on the building from the back bandwagon - never seems to work unless you have resources like man city or Barca in years gone by.

If you watch us play football, especially from goal kicks we don't hoof it up the pitch and hope we win the 2nd ball you see the CBs either side of Martinez and we're set for building up. It's part of what Gerrard wants from us to improve us. Hold possession and work our way up the pitch.

Full Backs are primarily attacking players in Gerrard's system. 

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If you watch us play football, especially from goal kicks we don't hoof it up the pitch and hope we win the 2nd ball you see the CBs either side of Martinez and we're set for building up. It's part of what Gerrard wants from us to improve us. Hold possession and work our way up the pitch.

Full Backs are primarily attacking players in Gerrard's system. 

No - but not many teams do (hoof long balls,) . To me our attacking moves come from through balls for the full backs or Ollie Watkins to chase.

Â