Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’d be keen to know the terms of this transfer around how much playing time he’s expecting.

Surely he’s not joined us to sit on our bench instead of Arsenals and I don’t see him as good enough to dislodge Mings, Konsa or Cash.

It’s good cover along with Hause and Targett for the defence, but for the starting XI, I don’t know.

Hed be making the bench at least, which is already a significant improvement for him.

He's 27, not that I would consider that old but he's not exactly a wee lad.

Not really played much football since the 18/19 season so hopefully he's up for a fresh start here. This one is probably why he's not played much.

19/20 Cruciate Ligament Rupture Dec 29, 2019 Dec 3, 2020 340 days 45Arsenal FC

53 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

This is the sort of signing that, had West Ham or Brighton made for free, we'd be moaning that we don't find value in the transfer market.

Chambers is young, now has resale value, hasn't eaten into our budget, and will offer competition and squad rotation options to our CB's. What's not to like here?

Similar to Craig Dawson being picked up by West Ham. Could be very astute business this enabling us to pay more for other more essential position upgrades. 

• Thanks 1

Emi M must know him too having been at The Arse for years? I wonder if he can vouch for his professionalism and hunger to play etc.

I see this as a sensible squad signing, good work but the club to bring him in for next to nothing. And if he can step in for 3-4 games a year like Hause has done then all good. 

With him and Hause it feels like we have two 4th choice level CB's but no one to really compete with Mings and Konsa. That's fine for the rest of the season IMO.

I expect we will make a move for a higher level CB in the summer.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

With him and Hause it feels like we have two 4th choice level CB's but no one to really compete with Mings and Konsa. That's fine for the rest of the season IMO.

I expect we will make a move for a higher level CB in the summer.

Thats the way i see it. Yes for the price its good value but is he any better than konsa or mings? Thats a no from me i am afraid. If either  gets injured would i be confident chambers could step in and do a job? Probably but im hoping in summer we are looking for a higher quality cb

Quick look at Transfermarkt and it appears he's played more at RB than at CB in the last couple years, but that might be more down to the Arsenal squad than anything else.

Then again maybe he's been brought in as cover for Cash rather than at CB? Anyway he seems like a nice lad and it seems like a solid squad option to have.

11 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

He is only 27! I was thinking 29/30. He must have been a real bright spark as a 19/20 year old. He has a good reputation from years ago and then gone off the boil. 27 is a great age for a free transfer for an England international

A CB at 27 is in his prime, theoretically. He could surprise us all, hopefully in a good way. 

• Like 1

This is a really smart low risk signing and he's got that unfulfilled talent/potential that could see him move up a level and potentially challenge as a starter in this team.

Good age

Played more pl football than mings and konsa

Technically very good and potentially our most technical defender

Covers 3 positions competently

3 International caps, played 30+ times in Europe, CL/EL experience

He cost nothing or next to nothing in transfer fee

Actually has some really good YouTube videos for a defender😄

• Like 2

As others have said, it's a no brainer of a deal - good experience, versatile, good age and on a  free. Chambers also comes across as a solid professional and likeable. 

What I like now is options from the bench being a lot stronger. 

With both Hause and Chambers available as subs, we have both full back and centre half positions covered. 

• Like 1

Â