• Ings
    • Watkins
    • Hause (Konsa 45)
    • Coutinho (Sanson 68)
    • Chukwuemeka (Ings 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/01/22 at 23:59

Gave MOTM to Ramsay for the goal and assist but Buendia was our best player throughout. 

Great point considering we were 0-2 down with 20mins left. Frustratingly individual errors cost us the win. But we showed such great character. Really proud. 

Ramsay and Buendia our best players. So good to see Coutinho score. 

Second half was absolutely excellent minus the mistake up by Sanson. Just like on Monday night, I’d we don’t throw the ball in our own net with a soft early goal first five mins then we win that. 

Watkins continues to frustrate. Looked slow and lagged today. He lacks any awareness and football intelligence for me. Never seems the runs of Ings and others. He just us his head down always. I'm baffled how he never gets subbed. I’d have Ings starting over him if we have to choose one as Ings will be much more in tune with the clever play of Buendia and Coutinho.  

Digne looks decent. Much better second half which shows we can adapt and change it up. Very pleased with second half. 

Loved seeing Martinez go absolutely  banana into the north stand when Courtinho scores. Love that.

Still need to improve our individual errors as well as tighten up defensively. Could see the crowd was getting frustrated in second half by us passing it sideways before our second goal (I think) as Mings and Hause we’re lacking anyone in the middle dropping deep for it. As soon as Luiz came and got the ball we could drive forwards and pull the opposition apart. Made a huge difference. We need better DCM play so we can do this more often. 

Hope the comeback gives us the confidence to push on. If we can stay right at the back and enforce our central midfield more in games then we should improve greatly. So pleased we got more reward for a decent performance against a decent team. Fed up of being applauded but having lost. Great comeback and looked like VP was bouncing. Was a great game tonight. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The nature of that point will be so valuable. Same number of points from the game as if we'd drawn 0-0 but we showed a mental strength I wasn't sure we had.

Agreed.

I think we'll go on similar run to what we first did under Gerrard in next two months.

Fancy us to win well at Everton and hopefully Burnley at home can be put in fixture list in the free weekend and suddenly we can attack top half again.

So encouraging, even if we gave them 2 shit soft gifts of a goal.

Martinez 6. Put it behind you mate.

Cash 6. Big heart  good in moments, awful distribution and positioning. Needs to be upgraded.

Konsa 7. Hope you're OK mate.

Mings 7. Soft for their second, brilliant at times and the heart to get up the pitch to add a man and help the attack. Love it. Stay healthy big man.

Digne 8. Very encouraging. A class act.

Luiz 7. Solid.

Sanson 7. Gutted for him. Decent game until the brainfart. Suck it up, go at it again. We need you.

Ramsey 9. He's still rough and learning his trade. But **** me what a player.

Buendia 9. MOTM. Oh I see him now. Hello Mr Buendia. Brilliant.

Watkins 6. All over the place. Not the player of last year or close.

Ings 6. Its not really working, is it?

Coutinho 8. Smiling.

Chuk 7. Mate, please just sign the contract. You could and should be a legend here.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Should've won that in the end.

Still 4 points in the most jinxed fixture played in last 25 years isn't bad return.

Few points from that.

Digne is going to be such an upgrade on Targett it's untrue. Rusty for first 20 minutes but he actually has an idea what to do once he crosses the halfway line.

First time this season Buendia looked 30m + player. I've been a critic but he's been good last 3-4 matches and all our best moves came through him.

Ramsey was poor first hour and suddenly out of nowhere came into the game. That's maturity and his close control is a joy to watch.

Can we please please please stop playing Ings and Watkins together. Yet again today with just one forward on the pitch and countless midfielders we play some really good football. I expect that to be the template starting at Goodison next Saturday lunchtime.

We might not finish top 8 this season but we're going to be really fun to watch for next four months so just enjoy the show as last 15 minutes was the warm up act.

We will only start beating Man. United on regular basis when we stop gifting them ridiculous goals in each half. No issue with ref tonight but you don't half give yourself uphill battle when one of best keepers in the league chucks one in after five minutes and then Sanson plays a ridiculous ball.

Still good point in the end and Everton are very beatable. If we can schedule Burnley at home soon I fancy us to go on another decent run with what we have for next two months.

Please can we stop playing Ings

You’ve highlighted both the positives and the negatives there. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I pray to god that has finally shown Gerrard we can't play both Ings and Watkins together. It's time to grow a pair Stevie and drop one. Whether you're team Watkins or Team Ings, there's clearly pros and cons to both so at this point I don't care who starts up front just pick one and that's it. 

Subs for me were spot on today, made a big difference unlike the cup game. 

We've got aset of games now where we really need to start putting a run of wins together. We're not in a relegation battle whatsoever, there's just no need to be that dramatic but the Prem table looks a bit grim. I'd like us to at least try and finish in the top half. 

I suppose the problem is lack of options at the moment, Im sure as Coutinho gains fitness and Bert returns from AFCON and Young recovers from his broken toe we will change the 2 up top to 1.

• Like 1

Just now, gwi1890 said:

I suppose the problem is lack of options at the moment, Im sure as Coutinho gains fitness and Bert returns from AFCON and Young recovers from his broken toe we will change the 2 up top to 1.

Its like Dean Smith all over again... 

I don't think anyone wants to play 2 up top but given what we've got it's what we look like playing our best available players 

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

He was good, but wasn't it rather Coutinho that changed the game? 😄 

Believe me I'm not saying Phillippe wasn't important as he clearly was but what I'm saying the system change allowed him to do that as Ings Watkins combo was done

Edited by gaffer85
Spelling
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I actually thought Coutinho did okay when he came on. Only 1 goal and 1 assist but he carried the ball forward well as well at least.

he didnt get an assist, as it was fred who poked it away from him towards ramsey.

doesnt matter tho, him coming on changed the game 4 sure (just by his prescence as much as anything).

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Gerrard is demanding a style of play from the players that some just aren’t cut out for. Slowly those players will get replaced. It will take time and while it’s not a rebuild, there’s a lot to be done. 

That sounds like a rebuild to me.

Buendia was excellent, really starting to find his feet now. Sanson was also excellent apart from the obvious glaring error, poor guy just can't catch a break.

Some of the interplay second half was very encouraging and also loved the two Hause 'pings' out to Digne. The goal will do Coutinho the world of good, and he looked pretty sharp all things considered. Ramsey was great second half and a very handy cameo from Chukwuemeka as well. So so much to be encouraged by, but we simply HAVE to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. 

• Like 1

Our attack looks lost tbh , not sure if it's playing Ings and Ollie together but whatever, it's very frustrating. We have some great possession in dangerous areas but then the options disappear as we approach the final third.

The defense is still the same, looks a little shaky at times and doesn't look comfortable in possession, Ming's and Konsa/ Hause tend to linger on the ball looking for options , this needs to be cut out ..players need to show for the ball more once we have it at the back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Our attack looks lost tbh , not sure if it's playing Ings and Ollie together but whatever, it's very frustrating. We have some great possession in dangerous areas but then the options disappear as we approach the final third.

The defense is still the same, looks a little shaky at times and doesn't look comfortable in possession, Ming's and Konsa/ Hause tend to linger on the ball looking for options , this needs to be cut out ..players need to show for the ball more once we have it at the back. 

100% the case.

As for the defense I agree, better players see passes instantly.... and they can pull them off.

• Like 1

Just got back from the game.  

We are determined to make things hard for ourselves.  

Disappointing first half, a lot better second half.

Watkins continues to frustrate, no idea what’s wrong him. Ings pressed hard but got no chances, surprised he got took off instead of Watkins

Buendia had some frustrating moments but otherwise I really liked him and gave him MOTM.

Ramsey poor first half, great second half

Liked the look of Digne

Coutinho is going to be magic!

Mings lost the plot several times

Felt so sorry for Martinez

Ref was incredibly poor

Â